PDA

View Full Version : Septic tanks and soak-aways in Caithness

Alice in Blunderland
20-Mar-12, 10:11
My question is do they really work ?

Anyone out there with an opinion on how effective they are ? whether they truly work ? and whether they should be installed as per planning permission and SEPA guidelines or is it a case if improvise to make it work if you know what I mean. ;)

I have been given so many conflicting opinions on this one I thought I would check with the org experts as well to see what they think. lol

Beat Bug
20-Mar-12, 12:24
We had to have a septic tank installed when we built our bungalow 5 years ago. Our architect decided we needed a large one, and it's been in use now for 5 years. It was suggested that we had it emptied every 3-5 years, so we had it emptied last year. It was only about 2/3rds full, and with the top off, much to our surprise, there was no smell whatsoever! The tank is in our front garden, and I've made a feature flower bed around it, with an ornamental grass in the centre.
So in answer to your question, I would say they do work. But I decided right from the beginning that I would only use the organic type of cleaning products, and don't let too much fat go down the drain (scrape all fat off roasting tins etc.)

Yes, there are regulations as to where they're sited, distance from your property and the roads.

Hope this helps.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Mar-12, 13:18
Thanks Beat Bug. Our house is up and running with big septic tank and soak away however it has been somewhat problematic. In conversation with someone they claimed that septic tanks and soak aways in Caithness dont really work without a little extra help not allowable technically in the regulations :confused

david
20-Mar-12, 14:52
Thanks Beat Bug. Our house is up and running with big septic tank and soak away however it has been somewhat problematic. In conversation with someone they claimed that septic tanks and soak aways in Caithness dont really work without a little extra help not allowable technically in the regulations :confused

We only have a problem with ours in the winter when the water table rises and if we have lots of rain-the inspection chamber rises to about 3rd full so its not draining away properly but thats the soakaway not coping with all the surface water etc. I'd site your roof soakaway as far as possible away from the septic tank soakaway as I'm convinced that is where our problem lies. For the rest of the year we have no problems at all and no bad smells.

Alice in Blunderland
20-Mar-12, 21:34
Thanks folks for the replies. On the whole septic tanks and soak aways work seems to be the advice so long as its not too wet then they may need a little helping hand.

The statement we were given was that in Caithness they dont work after we asked some awkward questions about our failing septic tank.I thought that if that was the case why are they being recommended.

nikkinurse
21-Mar-12, 00:07
it depends if percolation tests etc have been carried out correctly and if tanks,soakaways etc have been installed to the specifications chheers c.o.w

Alice in Blunderland
21-Mar-12, 09:54
it depends if percolation tests etc have been carried out correctly and if tanks,soakaways etc have been installed to the specifications chheers c.o.w

That's a good thought is it a case at times of fiddle the percolation test then stick in something that's not suitable for the ground, then say oh its Caithness they don't work in Caithness. :confused As for the installation its all buried so pretty hard to see if its in according to spec.

Phill
21-Mar-12, 10:34
Even if a percolation test is done and it appears satisfactory I doubt they really do provide a good indicator for ongoing drainage.

The sceptic tank & soak away are two parts of the system, so you need to identify if there is a fault (leak) with the tank and connecting drains or if the soakaway just isn't soaking away.

You could also convert the sceptic tank into a treatment plant and discharge into a watercourse, (but I guess you'd need approval from SEPA/Council etc.)
The soakaway may just need to be enlarged or maybe realigned into a more natural flow for the water i.e. downhill.

booze snooze
21-Mar-12, 19:50
yes they work dont you have one ?? where is your waste going just now

oldmarine
21-Mar-12, 22:35
My question is do they really work ?

Anyone out there with an opinion on how effective they are ? whether they truly work ? and whether they should be installed as per planning permission and SEPA guidelines or is it a case if improvise to make it work if you know what I mean. ;)

I have been given so many conflicting opinions on this one I thought I would check with the org experts as well to see what they think. lol

Yes they work quite well and are very necessary when one does not have properly-installed sewer lines to carry the unwanted waste.