PDA

View Full Version : Television and the SNP

EOS
19-Mar-12, 20:12
What will you be able to watch in an independent Scotland, SNP MP Pete Wishart has given details about it's
broadcasting plans to buy only the most popular programmes, so unless you have Sky or Virgin Media it would be the end of the BBC as we know it and you will have to pay extra to use the BBC's iPlayer. Hours and hours of programmes like BBC Alba.:lol:

ciderally
20-Mar-12, 13:11
What will you be able to watch in an independent Scotland, SNP MP Pete Wishart has given details about it's
broadcasting plans to buy only the most popular programmes, so unless you have Sky or Virgin Media it would be the end of the BBC as we know it and you will have to pay extra to use the BBC's iPlayer. Hours and hours of programmes like BBC Alba.:lol:
end of licence then and about time too....

Dog-eared
20-Mar-12, 13:15
Everyone will watch TV online and slow down the already slow Highland broadband service.

Corrie 3
20-Mar-12, 13:52

Evidence ?

C3.................:roll:

RecQuery
20-Mar-12, 14:08
Just off the top of my head:

You can't block iPlayer based upon IP address, working out which netblock goes to what region within the UK would be a nightmare the only way to block it would be to require people with a license to register an account and login then you'd either have to limit the amount of devices they could watch it from which would be a pain and likely cause an outcry or run the risk of them sharing their details with friends.
Scotland would already have a right to copies of existing, programmes currently in production or development and historical BBC programming as our license fee contributed to their creation. It would only be new programming where an issue would arise.
The BBC broadcast unencrypted from ASTRA 1N or via Freeview there is absolutely nothing to stop people from receiving all the BBC services for free.
The option would still exist for people to pay for the BBC, much like they do now with the license or for it be bundled with some other TV package. That's how it works in the Republic of Ireland.
Only a very small percentage of the money contribute by Scotland to the BBC goes into Scottish programming and the BBC count weather reports and traffic updates as part of regional programming. It would be perfectly reasonable for an independent Scotland to keep something like the license fee and use that money to buy the 10% of BBC programmes that are decent and spend the reset elsewhere.
The BBC could create something like BBC America with adverts, hell the BBC already has adverts it just advertises its own programmes.

Rheghead
20-Mar-12, 20:17
Evidence ?

C3.................:roll:

But he said that households would have to pay a “commercial” charge on top of the licence fee, by installing satellite or cable TV, if they wanted to watch other BBC shows that “have got very little to do with the experience of living in Scotland”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9149481/TV-viewers-in-separate-Scotland-to-pay-extra-for-BBC.html

John Little
20-Mar-12, 20:28
“Do we want some of the programmes that we see in Scotland which have got very little to do with the experience of living in Scotland, got very little to do with our national debate? We’d want popular programmes.”

No more American soaps!
No more Australian barbe-soaps!
No more Hollywood movies.

Just programmes to do with the experience of living in Scotland and the national debate.

Aye - that's good stuff right nuff! Clean up waur culture...

Gronnuck
20-Mar-12, 20:52
“Do we want some of the programmes that we see in Scotland which have got very little to do with the experience of living in Scotland, got very little to do with our national debate? We’d want popular programmes.”

No more American soaps!
No more Australian barbe-soaps!
No more Hollywood movies.

Just programmes to do with the experience of living in Scotland and the national debate.

Aye - that's good stuff right nuff! Clean up waur culture...

Back to back repeats of Machair from Monday to Friday with back to back repeats of High Road on Saturday and Sunday. Oh-oh - and - we'll have to find time for The White Heather Club!

John Little
20-Mar-12, 20:54
And whit's wrang wi Andy Stewart?

Rheghead
20-Mar-12, 21:01
Don't forget reruns of Tom weir, now that is worth voting for.

RecQuery
20-Mar-12, 23:09
There is scope for non-twee, corny or sentimental regional programming both factual and for entertainment purposes - we don't need to have just local news, we can tackle world news from a Scottish perspective etc - but it doesn't get made. Partly because the BBC doesn't allocate a comparable percentage to regional programming to what money we give them and partly because there's very little demand for it on other channels because we've been convinced that our culture is some how inferior and something to be derided.

ducati
20-Mar-12, 23:16
BBC aside, I've always found made in Scotland TV programmes (particularly comedy) almost embarrassingly bad. All my Scots relys love 'em so I guess it is a cultural thing.

Two exceptions; Rab C and the Vital Spark

RecQuery
20-Mar-12, 23:18
BBC aside, I've always found made in Scotland TV programmes (particularly comedy) almost embarrassingly bad. All my Scots relys love 'em so I guess it is a cultural thing.

Two exceptions; Rab C and the Vital Spark

I quite like Rab C, Still Game and Burnistoun. Lots of Scottish comedy tends to go for the obvious joke though.

ducati
20-Mar-12, 23:23
There was one particular one I can't remember what it was called but it was set in the town of Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae (a place I have a big connection with) and it was absolutely appalling. Even the people who live there thought so. :lol: And many of them starred in it.

Gronnuck
21-Mar-12, 00:32
There was one particular one I can't remember what it was called but it was set in the town of Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae (a place I have a big connection with) and it was absolutely appalling. Even the people who live there thought so. :lol: And many of them starred in it.

Would that be '2000 Acres of Sky' with Michelle Collins?

radiohead
21-Mar-12, 01:02
River City every night, showing true life in a Scottish city ;)

Oddquine
21-Mar-12, 01:08
Anyone care to contradict any of this with some facts? http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/4341-a-unionist-lexicon-an-a-z-of-unionist-scare-stories-myths-and-misinformation

BBC: You'll not get the BBC on telly after independence.

Some would argue not getting the BBC is a good thing. There's only so much Strictly Come Celebrity Weakest Link the human mind can take. With independence, there's at least a slight possibility we'd get celebrities we'd actually heard of. And then there's Jeremy Clarkson, who's a whole argument for independence all by himself.

Scotland contributes an annual total of approximately £230 million in licence fees to the BBC. Yet BBC Scotland has an annual budget of £120 million, an amount which is being cut. Scotland has 8.6% of the UK population but only receives 3.7 % of the BBC's programme making expenditure. (See here (http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/psb/responses/mceihil_annex.pdf).) In addition, the BBC makes money from selling programmes to other broadcasters.

After independence Scotland would get its own national TV network. Assuming the licence fee system remained in place, the Scottish Broadcasting Corporation would have double the budget currently received by BBC Scotland. Scotland would also be in a position to sell its programming to other broadcasters and retain the revenues. This would allow the 'SBC' to buy in all those BBC programmes we actually like. Dr Who and David Attenborough being cuddled by gorillas would be safe for the nation.

But if you really can't live without Nicholas Witchell on the 6 O'Clock news gushing on about how maaarvellous Charles and Camilla are, just do what they do in the Republic of Ireland. Those within range simply get an additional antenna and point it at the nearest UK transmitter to receive the full Freeview package. Those outside that range get a satellite dish. Sky viewers in Ireland get the full BBC output. If you prefer not to give any money to Rupert Murdoch, and who could blame you for that, with a generic satellite decoder you can pick up all the free to air broadcasts, including all the main UK channels. You'd also be able to watch Downtown bleedin Abbey even when STV shows something else. And you'd not have to pay a licence fee to the BBC for the privilege either. Of course people would laugh and point fingers at you for wanting to watch Nicholas Witchell, but that happens now anyway.

What has the SNP to do with it anyway? Are they going to be the eternal government in an Independent Scotland or are Scots going to vote for the government they want? :roll:

Rheghead
21-Mar-12, 06:01
Anyone care to contradict any of this with some facts? http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/4341-a-unionist-lexicon-an-a-z-of-unionist-scare-stories-myths-and-misinformation

I'll just reason the facts that you just gave us.

Scotland contributes an annual total of approximately £230 million in licence fees to the BBC. Yet BBC Scotland has an annual budget of £120 million, an amount which is being cut. Scotland has 8.6% of the UK population but only receives 3.7 % of the BBC's programme making expenditure. (See here (http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/psb/responses/mceihil_annex.pdf).) In addition, the BBC makes money from selling programmes to other broadcasters.

I'm not disputing these facts albeit they are 10 years out of date. But there is a bias in the reporting of these facts. It is true that BBC Scotland (Television and radio) got 3.7% of the BBC budget, but the BBC is much more than just a provider of regional programming. It funds all sorts of programme channels and services which the Scottish people also enjoy to watch, like
CBeebies, BBC online, BBC Red button, BBC News channel, CBBC etc and then there are pensions and restructuring costs which the 3,7% doesn't take into account but which a proportion goes to Scottish TV staff as well.

ducati
21-Mar-12, 07:28
Would that be '2000 Acres of Sky' with Michelle Collins?

No..and you've made me look it up now[disgust] http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/millport.shtml the photo with the three bizarre looking characters is set in the Ritz Cafe which is a real place and makes the best Icecream in Scotland. The owners are Italian of course.

RecQuery
21-Mar-12, 08:40
I think or I hope everyone will agree that the BBC is London/South East of England-centric. The whole point of the BBC is to make programmes that may not get made otherwise or that aren't commercially viable, Regional programming is included in this but they don't seem to be anything about it. They churn out the same commercial vapid crap as most of other TV networks.

Even people the work for the BBC, former Directors General and recent reports have said the same thing.