PDA

View Full Version : goose shooting guide required???

sjr014
10-Nov-06, 18:46
hi
can anybody help me out i would like to go wildfowl shooting in the caithness area but cant find anywhere cud someone help me out
any information will be gratefully recived

j4bberw0ck
10-Nov-06, 19:09
Don't shoot the ones with pink feet!

Seabird
10-Nov-06, 19:20
Check out this web site

http://www.edenwildfowlers.org.uk/

I suggest you move down that way, they must have like minded people.
Most in Caithness appreciate our wild life not kill it.

JAWS
10-Nov-06, 19:26
Try having a word with one of the local gamekeepers, you will probably get a reasonable response from them.

Buttercup
10-Nov-06, 19:29
I think you'll need to see the farmer who owns the land you want to shoot on. Most will already have their quota of guns on it though, but you never know you might be lucky. Are white-fronted geese still protected in Caithness & Sutherland?:confused

sjr014
10-Nov-06, 19:40
hi
thanks for all the answers! not sure which bird are proteced in caithness and sutherland i will check tho

buggyracer
10-Nov-06, 20:30
Check out this web site

http://www.edenwildfowlers.org.uk/

I suggest you move down that way, they must have like minded people.
Most in Caithness appreciate our wild life not kill it.

MOST NOT ALL THOUGH??

Geese are a major problem in som eareas and need culled, to protect crops.

plenty of superb goose shooting in caithness.

melted_wellie
11-Nov-06, 01:21
live and let live i say.
what enjoyment does one get from killing wildlife etc????

trinkie
11-Nov-06, 13:03
The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater felon loose
Who steals the common from the goose

Buttercup
11-Nov-06, 17:08
live and let live i say.

All wildfowlers I know eat their "enjoyment". :D

luskentyre
11-Nov-06, 18:04
live and let live i say.

I have to agree. Seems wrong to blast these wild animals out of the sky (which is after all, their domain, not ours). It's about as sporting as dropping a brick on a crowd of people.

These amazing creatures travel so far every year, somehow knowing which direction to go, always in formation - then someone with a gun decides they have more right to it's life than they do.

Surely something like clay-pigeon shooting is more ethical (and skillful)?

sjr014
11-Nov-06, 19:19
hi
evry one has there own view on this sport sum agree with it and sum dont! but wot is the difrence with eating a bird you shot or buying one from tescos?
these birds also do a lot of damage to the farms the land on!!

Seabird
11-Nov-06, 19:35
hi
evry one has there own view on this sport sum agree with it and sum dont! but wot is the difrence with eating a bird you shot or buying one from tescos?

So you are only going to shoot one ???
Nothing wrong with that if your going to eat it.
But i suspect you shoot because you enjoy killing, you get some sort of kick out of it.
Otherwise you would be showing your skills at clay shooting competitions.
How many bird do you kill first shot and how many do you wing?
Slaughter houses kill in one go or they are prosecuted.

sjr014
11-Nov-06, 19:45
i only shoot wot i mean to keep more than that is a waste yhea your rite about the slaughter house but we dont miss often and always a clean shot clays are ok but dont taste as good and a lot easyer to hit!!

Seabird
11-Nov-06, 19:56
i only shoot wot i mean to keep more than that is a waste yhea your rite about the slaughter house but we dont miss often and always a clean shot clays are ok but dont taste as good and a lot easyer to hit!!

No arguement with that.

I just worry about the attitude of people who own and use firearms of any discription.
There are a lot of psychos in this world who start by killing animals.

sjr014
11-Nov-06, 20:06
yhea your rite there! the idiots out there with firearms give us all a view from other folk that we dont need like triger happy cowboys that shoot anything that moves! and they cause an astonishing amount of cruelty and pain to animals for no need! like people shooting cats with air guns what is the sport in that! every thing we shoot we try and do it the best we can and respect the land we are on.

buggyracer
11-Nov-06, 20:17
So you are only going to shoot one ???
Nothing wrong with that if your going to eat it.
But i suspect you shoot because you enjoy killing, you get some sort of kick out of it.
Otherwise you would be showing your skills at clay shooting competitions.
How many bird do you kill first shot and how many do you wing?
Slaughter houses kill in one go or they are prosecuted.

Seabird i agree only shoot what you are prepared to eat, clays are a hell of a lot easier to shoot than geese or any wild birds, more often than not you get up at 5 or 6 go to the feild where you think the birds will fly to wait 2-3 hours in the cold, rain and strong winds only to find the geese have chosen another feild to go to, id say for every time you get it right there is 3 or 4 times you get nothing, this is where the skill comes into it, as for your slaughter house arguement these birds are shot after living wild in ther own natural environment, not penned up for all there short lives, and having to que up whilst watching and smelling the blood of the bird in front of them in que meet there end in a smelly slaughterhouse, i know which one id prefer?

gary.b
11-Nov-06, 20:35
Whether or not you agree with the ethic's of shooting etc, you must acknowledge that hunters and fishers bring a considerable amount of revenue to the county and should be welcomed.

sjr014
11-Nov-06, 20:54
well spoken gary b

j4bberw0ck
11-Nov-06, 21:32
I just worry about the attitude of people who own and use firearms of any discription.
There are a lot of psychos in this world who start by killing animals.

And you have personal experience of psychos who own guns and "start" by killing animals? Do you expect us all to believe that the kids with handguns and automatic weapons in certain of our cities started off by wildfowling, armed with a handgun?

Are all gun owners "psychos"?

You're just regurgitating the pap you've been fed by the media. There are irresponsible gun owners, just as there are irresponsible car drivers, fishermen, boat owners, drinkers. The difference is that irresponsible gun owners don't get to keep a FAC these days. I suggest you try to worry less about shotgun owners, and more about things that really matter. The overwhelming majority of shotgun owners are law-abiding, decent people. If they weren't, the weapon would be confiscated.

And as for sjr014 - give the guy a break. He asked a reasonable question and the moralising squad who think they know best about everything are all over him like a rash. :roll:

melted_wellie
11-Nov-06, 21:58
hi
these birds also do a lot of damage to the farms the land on!!Sport??? your having a laugh!! take up boxing, that way your opponent has a chance of hitting you back, or do you feel powerful with your gun in your hand shooting defenseless wildlife.

caithness import
11-Nov-06, 22:00
And you have personal experience of psychos who own guns and "start" by killing animals? Do you expect us all to believe that the kids with handguns and automatic weapons in certain of our cities started off by wildfowling, armed with a handgun?

Are all gun owners "psychos"?

You're just regurgitating the pap you've been fed by the media. There are irresponsible gun owners, just as there are irresponsible car drivers, fishermen, boat owners, drinkers. The difference is that irresponsible gun owners don't get to keep a FAC these days. I suggest you try to worry less about shotgun owners, and more about things that really matter. The overwhelming majority of shotgun owners are law-abiding, decent people. If they weren't, the weapon would be confiscated.

And as for sjr014 - give the guy a break. He asked a reasonable question and the moralising squad who think they know best about everything are all over him like a rash. :roll:

here here j4berw0ck

i been shooting since i was big enough to carry a gun. theres gun etiqutte and there should be principles in the hunting and killing of game or animals for the pot or to reduce vermin. There is no pleasure in the killing but hunting stalking or working a dog to aid the hunting of something for the pot is a truly wonderful thing and something most of the human race has since lost and take for granted in the mass produced muck they buy from the supermarket. Anyone that eats meat needs to appreciate where its derived from. Anyone that has the decency to ask the necessary questions regarding shooting should be praised and not patronised or critisised by muppets.

Nuf said. Bring on the traditional xmas dinner of goose. Lovely.[evil]

sjr014
11-Nov-06, 22:47
thanks for the comments from the fellow shooters i didnt realy think there wud be so much intrest!still never found anywhere to go wildfowl shooting in caithness

gary.b
11-Nov-06, 23:05
Try Thrumster Estate or Watten Small Bore Rifle Club they might be able to put you in touch with someone.

sjr014
11-Nov-06, 23:07
thanks very much for that gary b !!

groatsgirl
12-Nov-06, 13:04
hi

We do unmentionable damage to the land !!! so i guess its ok to take a few pot shots at humans now & again !!!

luskentyre
12-Nov-06, 14:20
Whether or not you agree with the ethic's of shooting etc, you must acknowledge that hunters and fishers bring a considerable amount of revenue to the county and should be welcomed.

Mmm, personally I wouldn't welcome something simply because it brought revenue to the county. A prison / nuclear waste repository / battery hen farm etc. etc. would create jobs in the county but I wouldn't welcome them.

unicorn
12-Nov-06, 14:42
I have no problem at all with shooting for the table provided the person is a good shot, I was brought up on all sorts of game and loved it. Anyone shooting geese, rather you than me preparing them my fingers used to ache just from plucking them and then it was hit and miss as to whether it would be a good one, I have seen a few over the years that the dogs couldn't even chew lol. Anyone out there shooting pheasant drop me a pm if you have any spare, there is nothing like a pot of game soup when it's cold outside.

r.rackstraw
12-Nov-06, 18:12
sjr014
Goose shooting is grand sport. I hope you find somewhere to shoot.
But please do not be one of the ignorant shooters who blast away at anything with a long neck. You may shoot Greylag and Pinkfeet but not Barnacle Geese or Whitefronts, which are protected. Make sure you can identify the different kinds. I you do not have this knowledge use a bird book and binoculars before you go out with a gun. Each kind has a different call - you must learn to recognise the calls because you will usually be shooting in poor light.
Use a 12 bore with 3 inch chambers or you will wound a lot of birds.
If you are shooting near to water you must have a trained dog to retrieve winged birds.
Good hunting - if all of this does not put you off!

Kirdon
12-Nov-06, 18:17
here here j4berw0ck

i been shooting since i was big enough to carry a gun. theres gun etiqutte and there should be principles in the hunting and killing of game or animals for the pot or to reduce vermin. There is no pleasure in the killing but hunting stalking or working a dog to aid the hunting of something for the pot is a truly wonderful thing and something most of the human race has since lost and take for granted in the mass produced muck they buy from the supermarket. Anyone that eats meat needs to appreciate where its derived from. Anyone that has the decency to ask the necessary questions regarding shooting should be praised and not patronised or critisised by muppets.

Nuf said. Bring on the traditional xmas dinner of goose. Lovely.[evil]

Well said Caithness import and j4berw0ck, I have been shooting for more years than I care to talk about with no suffering to the animals/wildfowl i shoot. Like most law abiding hunters you don't take the shot if your not sure of a clean kill. Also i have never had a notion to move on to humans as suggested by other people in this thread.

sjr014
12-Nov-06, 18:29
thanks for the tips on the protected birds and its nice to that there is other people in the same sport unlike some of the coments we have recived that make us out to be a bunch of murdering idots with guns

clash67
12-Nov-06, 19:12
Erm! I wonder how many of the people that are giving this guy a hard time for shooting these geese buy their meat from the butchers or even worse the supermarket, I suppose that is far kinder to animals, well I can tell you that you are buying dead animals that has suffered much more that a shot goose, clean shot or not.

emszxr
12-Nov-06, 20:51
my husband is a gamekeeper, so we get lots of venison in our freezer. he has also got a couple of geese in the field at front of house so not far to go to collect it. i really enjoy the fact that i am eating meat that has to be better from what i can buy in the local co-op. last year i fattened up 2 pigs, which was very rewarding.
i have not shot anything myself, but i am hoping to one day soon get out on the hill. just need a babysitter first.

Riffman
28-Oct-07, 22:42
I find it amusing that most people will happily buy a bacon roll, or have chicken stir fry but would be horrified at the thought of shooting a pigeon or goose. I personally like to know where my meat came from, who know what kind of life the chicken in your KFC had? Most likely locked in a shed and never saw day light.

The pigeons I shoot and eat have had a good life and taste great for it!

Plenty of geese round loch watten at the moment, might be worth looking up some farmers round there.

Cheers,

Riff

DeHaviLand
28-Oct-07, 22:57
I would hope he found something in 11 months:D

Riffman
30-Oct-07, 21:49
Well the season has started, so he might be back up here again.