PDA

View Full Version : Homesickness

cuddlepop
10-Nov-06, 12:10
Now we all need to rally round a fellow orger is feeling a million miles away from home.Its not me, but the weather has been awful so thats not helping.
So how did the rest of you settle in these foreign lands;)
It took me three years to adjust but I kept going home. I hated the sense of isolation and lonelyness.21 married and away from friends and family in a tied job,did not help.:(
I await your tips and advice.

Bobbyian
10-Nov-06, 12:21
Now we all need to rally round a fellow orger is feeling a million miles away from home.Its not me, but the weather has been awful so thats not helping.
It took me three years to adjust but I kept going home. I hated the sense of isolation and lonelyness.21 married and away from friends and family in a tied job,did not help.:(

It may be not much help but I found I was emersed in work and the family at first what I really missed was the wind and the sea but as time goes by I find as an expat. one gets more patriotic as people keep telling me how good Scotland is and one has to keep find more info to tell them so one learns more and more about the Homeland I think more than when one lived there. but I still NEED these hill walks every two to three years to unwind from the hectic here on the continent
so I hope I haven`t depressed any more But one has to proud of a such an envied country.

canuck
10-Nov-06, 16:19

You have come to the right place for advice. "caithness.org" (as it was known back in my day of struggle with the new homeland) was my solace. The news stories and the general chat on the forum at least helped me to connect to the community where I was living. rich was my sanity keeper. I had never met him, never expected to. Although he lives in Canada, he grew up in Thurso. So he would send little tidbits of information about the area where I was finding my way. And every once in a while he would remind me of the soaring temperatures in Toronto which would stop my groaning about how cold I was in Wick. Then there were the posters whom I never met at all, the ones I remember and watched for.

If you can encourage your friend to make contact with some of the orgers then their PMs and the occasional post will be a source of connectedness to something. That is what is needed now, a sense of being connected, being okay, finding affirmation of self in the midst of the strangeness of the new situation.

I was different in that I knew that I would be returning to Canada. Still, I remember the loneliness. No quizzes then! No concerts at the Lighthouse! cedric had no name. He was just a face in the local grocery store. It would be very different for me now if I returned to Caithness. So, cuddlepop encourage your friend to connect to the org and someday she/he will have this wonderful group of friends like I do. 5000 miles away and they got me through my latest move. Who cares if I don't know my Canadian neighbours. I know the org.

New friend, as you read these posts, know that they are sent from the heart. Good luck in your new home.

cuddlepop
10-Nov-06, 16:58
Canuk that was lovely.My friend is already an org so thats the first step completed.
Its hard making a new life for yourself.The kids adjust easily,hubby's out working and your left alone probably for the first time in a long time.Family is what you miss most so you've got to creat surrogates.
It does work,you've just got to give it time.:D

lauraspetportraits
10-Nov-06, 18:11
Getting my job helped me. Gives me something to do with my time, and also work with some lovely people which are really friendly. Coz i'm working in a shop (will be when it opens) i'll also get to chat to people that come in the store.

We also have a webcam with a voice thingy so we can talk to family down home and see them at the same time which is really nice.

I find the internet is good too, as well as this forum I also get on another one all the time, and even though you've not met the people you 'talk' to you still feel you know them and get a sense of community, and everyone is very supportive on the .org!

If whoever it is would like to pm me for a chat as we're both Highland 'newbies' i would be pleased to be able to offer any help I can.

Do they have a dog?? what about joining a dog club, agility or obedience or something coz then they will immediately have something in common with the other people at the club, and if other dog owners are anything like me I luurve talking about my dogs, so conversation shpuld flow pretty well too.

Hope that helps

Lots of hugs. Laura

Fluff
10-Nov-06, 20:48
i was so depressed my first xmas down here (i moved at the end of oct so didnt have much time to adjust) but now i have a job i love. When i do get up i like to eat the local food, go for walks and take lots of pictures so when i am feeling rubbish i look back at them and close my eyes. Really helps

The_man_from_del_monte
10-Nov-06, 20:59
Blimey, I'm the opposite. I've not long moved up here and I'm missing certain aspects of life where I used to live, ie: friends & familiar places, don't get me wrong..... it's great up here but there are times I just feel like diving into a deep black hole not to resurface for many years.

What helps me get out of these "bouts" is a trip into Lidl (yeh, works wonders ;)) or a visit to ebay to buy some more junk I don't need... this grim weather isn't helping matters but, what the heck, it could be worse I could be living in Wales ;)

Ricco
10-Nov-06, 22:44
Cuddlepops - you've got all of us to help see you through. We are all, in our own little ways, homesick. Leaving Canada when I was 11 was a huge wrench - I could only see that I would never be going back... well, I did. A couple of times. Thurso really helped me get over the loss of my homeland - indeed, it became my new homeland. Now I have been separated from there for many years with only two visits since.

I just keep on working to get through the months and years, and dream of the time I may get back. I am really hoping that I may make it to Thurso next summer - looks like Canada is off. It'll be on my own - the wife has these crazy plans for a 'new sun-room' but it will be the 3rd year without a holiday and I am sick of it.

So, Ricco the rebel may be taking the tarmac highway North next summer - look out Gleber2, that next ring on the doorbell may well be a thirsty traveller begging for a cuppa!:cool:

Wish
11-Nov-06, 00:26
Awww thanks Jackie, you are an angel:cool:

I'm guessing its me your talking about, I think it is anyway (lol) Have been on Skye 3 weeks now and I do love it here, just had a shaky week, hubbie was away and I was left alone in unfamiliar surroundings with the kids and then I got a phonecall with some bad news about my brothers health:( Being 400 miles away from him and being on my own, really got to me. I had no internet connection either which made me feel even more alone, thankfully it got switched on yesterday and I am feeling more positive now, obviousley, still upset about my brother and feel I have let him down not being there for him right now.

I am definately going to make more of an effort to go and about a bit more, i'm meeting up with Jackie on Monday for brunch, shes been great, thank you for everything Jackie XxXxX

Will keep you posted everyone and to those that are away from family and friends, they are only ever a phonecall away! xxxxx

lorraine_2406
11-Nov-06, 09:46
When i moved to Germany omg i hated it with a passion i missed living in edinburgh and traveling back home to caithness everytime my husband had leave and we always had the chance to even go to caithness on a long weekend but now we try to go to edinburgh and caithness once a year its taken me 3 years to make the most of germany but theres know place like SCOTLAND

cuddlepop
11-Nov-06, 15:19
Your welcome Wish.:D
Like everyone says use your pm,s they've helped me a lot in the past.I bet Ann was wishing she was over, Cafe Arriba's one of her favourite haunts,well just have to keep her a piece of gateaux for next time she's here.;)

Wish
11-Nov-06, 18:48
Your welcome Wish.:D
Like everyone says use your pm,s they've helped me a lot in the past.I bet Ann was wishing she was over, Cafe Arriba's one of her favourite haunts,well just have to keep her a piece of gateaux for next time she's here.;)

Absolutely!

Thank you Ann for the pm, I will look forward to meeting with you sometime soonxx

Bobbyian
11-Nov-06, 22:19
When i moved to Germany omg i hated it with a passion i missed living in edinburgh and traveling back home to caithness everytime my husband had leave and we always had the chance to even go to caithness on a long weekend but now we try to go to edinburgh and caithness once a year its taken me 3 years to make the most of germany but theres know place like SCOTLAND
Your so right thers no place like the Highlands and especially the North coast
eve If i have lived here for I think 30 Years I still need the Hills now and again.