PDA

View Full Version : Want a share of coastal communities cash?

Nwicker60
14-Mar-12, 13:50
MP encourages community groups to apply for grants

FAR NORTH MP John Thurso is encouraging local groups to apply for funding under the UK Government’s Crown Estate Coastal Community Fund.
Groups across the Highlands and Islands have until the 27th of April to apply for a grant from the fund. Grants in excess of £50,000 are available for a wide range of applicant organisations and projects which benefit coastal communities.
The fund is made up of 50% of the revenues raised per year by the Crown Estate’s marine activities and this year there is nearly £2 million available to communities in the Highlands and Islands.
Application forms for organisations wishing to apply to the fund in the 2012-13 financial year are now available via the Big Lottery Fund website.
Commenting John Thurso MP said: “For many years communities here in the Far North have seen the money that the Crown Estate raises from the marine estate benefit people in other areas of the country. This is money that should be supporting jobs and services in coastal regions such as the Far North. The new UK Coastal Communities Fund is a real step in the right direction in this regard and will see local communities directly benefit rather than decisions being made in Edinburgh or London.”
“In the longer term I would like to see a more comprehensive reform of the Crown Estate with far more control of the seabed going directly to the benefit of local communities affected. This is something I proposed to the Chancellor in the House of Commons only last year. That said a fund of this sort is certainly tangible progress.
“Grants of more than £50,000 are available to local groups and organisations seeking to boost economic development and training opportunities here. I would certainly encourage all those who think they could benefit from this funding to consider applying.”