PDA

View Full Version : Train advice??

spaceshipone
13-Mar-12, 00:59
So yeah I've got an audition for a college in Glasgow, and, I've never been on the train by myself and I've only actually been on the train once, and that was to Inverness. Is there anything I need to know about going down there??

wavy davy
13-Mar-12, 01:12
Maybe you need to be more specific. Do you need advice on your train journey, where to stay, how to deal with Glaswegians (escalating their aggression often works but I did get a broken jaw once) how to handle the audition, what to do in the evening? Just a thought.

Alrock
13-Mar-12, 01:19
"DON'T STICK YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE WINDOW"

Other than that, I'm sure it will be quite an unevental journey...

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

plutonio
13-Mar-12, 08:13
Reserve a seat is always a good thing, keep a hold of your ticket as they will check it when you reach your destination.
Oh' nearly forgot take loads of money as its expensive or better still take your own packed lunch.

spaceshipone
13-Mar-12, 14:01
i suppose i should of been more specific, its the train journey im looking for advice on.

poppett
13-Mar-12, 15:16
Going to Glasgow from Caithness entails changing trains in Inverness. Some gaps between trains are longer than others so you would need to check with Scotrail the trains you need to get you there in time (allowing for delays). Hope this helps.

TAFKAL
13-Mar-12, 19:12
Nothing to add except book online for cheaper fares. You can also select window or isle, power points, table, internet etc when you book online. Click to view a journey earlier or later as you may find that it is A LOT cheaper!

And by audition for college, do you mean interview... Malapropisms don't go down very well.

Kodiak
13-Mar-12, 19:16
Go by Bus, its a lot cheaper :D

joxville
13-Mar-12, 19:38
Get the early train to Inverness, change there for Glasgow, but take lunch with you, the food joints in stations are awful, as is the trolley dollies wares. On your return, you'll see a huge digital signboard with arrivals and departures listed, just check for which platform you need to go to. Sometimes there may be two trains at the same platform so double check, ask a member of staff if you're unsure, which one is your train. Good luck with your audition and enjoy the day.

Buttercup
13-Mar-12, 20:26
Definately book at the station (last time I went cheapest online quote was £110 at the station it was £18!)
The cost depends on many things:
1. Your age
2. If you have a railcard - it's sometimes cheaper to buy one. Not sure, but you might get something off if you have a Young Scot Card
3. Date & time you want to travel.
4. If you want a straight through between Inverness to Glasgow or if you want to change at Perth - changing's fine but it involves going from one end of the station to the other which is OK if you aren't in a hurry or have a lot of luggage.
5. When you're returning, taking 3 & 4 above into account again.
Take something to eat with you - train prices are sky high and the choice very limited.
Lastly, enjoy yourself - you'll be travelling though great scenery that you never see from the road.

TAFKAL
13-Mar-12, 20:39
Also, what time do you need to be there for... The earliest train will only get you there for 14:14 and that is leaving at 6:2O, the 8:12 gets you there for 16:14!

gollach
13-Mar-12, 21:10
Check prices online. Often 2 advance single tickets are cheaper than a return. There is no trolley service if you get the earliest train to Inverness, so bring a bottle of water with you.

spaceshipone
13-Mar-12, 23:13
No Its an audition, its for a course in music. i have to perform for them

secrets in symmetry
13-Mar-12, 23:29
Ok, I know I'm just being nosey - but which college are you auditioning at?

Good luck with it!

spaceshipone
14-Mar-12, 12:25
I'm auditioning at Stow college

secrets in symmetry
15-Mar-12, 01:16
Thanks spaceshipone.

I don't know Stow, but it can't be more than a 20 minute walk from Queen St Station - I hope you won't be carrying a double bass lol!

Kells
15-Mar-12, 01:57
I'm auditioning at Stow college

You might be better to take a taxi as unless you know where you are going it came be hard to get to, it is next to the Motorway and easy to miss the road into the college.

secrets in symmetry
17-Mar-12, 00:21
You might be better to take a taxi as unless you know where you are going it came be hard to get to, it is next to the Motorway and easy to miss the road into the college.That's probably sound advice. I have no idea how to get to Stow - all I know is that it's next to the motorway, and it can't be more than a 20-minute walk from Queen St station.

emmz
17-Mar-12, 08:20
stow college is just behind the bus station and to the left

spaceshipone
18-Mar-12, 12:30
Thanks guys all the help is much appreciated