PDA

View Full Version : Flagstone fences

Dog-eared
12-Mar-12, 23:39
Has anyone else noticed how fast traditional Caithness flagstone fences are disappearing ? East of Halkirk had loads until a few years ago. They set the look of the landscape. Now there are none. I've noticed other areas where the traditional flagstone field boundaries are going missing.
These are a major part of the Caithness landscape and history, and should be preserved.

How do we stop people selling these off ? They're worth lots of money because of the beauty of them , but should be preserved for Caithness, surely !!

annemarie482
12-Mar-12, 23:42
i thought they were disappearing as they break, sag, dont really keep cattle/sheep in.
or if your meaning garden ones, because they're a bit low (no good for keeping your dog in!), and not eveyone finds them attractive

just a thought.

Alrock
13-Mar-12, 00:10
One does wonder, if, that in many years to come... on forum.caithness.gov... whether or not there will be someone lamenting the loss of all the windfarms that used to be dotted all over the landscape....

davem
13-Mar-12, 00:14
No cos we'll still be paying for them, and the access roads and concrete founds will still be there!

pads1
13-Mar-12, 08:34
Nope they are definately selling them off and they are going south. We bought a lot for the boundary of our house that the farmers are digging up, as they are paid good money for them. Its a shame really but animals do jump them so not suitable on their own really for animals separation.

ducati
13-Mar-12, 08:41
I have quite a long one boundering a field that is deteriorating and I'll get it re-instated eventually. The ones that used to be all round the garden are pretty much gone though.

Errogie
13-Mar-12, 13:21
Flagstone fences used to provide great shelter for new lambs when I was working with sheep in the county.