PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Bins

Big G
09-Nov-06, 23:20
Why does Castletown not have any of the recycling bins and boxes they have almost EVERYWHERE else in the county?:confused

Bill Fernie
10-Nov-06, 02:39
This has to do with the replacement of the bin lorries that lift the bins. As the capital becomes available and new lorries are brought in you will get the recycling bins. The lorries are being replaced over a number of years and although I do not have the details you will eventually come into line with other areas.

Meantime you can still recycle a number of things at certain shopping centres and the recycling centres.

This is all being driven by the huge costs facing councils via the landfill taxes that are being increased. Every ton of rubbish sent to landfill is getting more and more expensive to dump. We are also rapidly running out of holes in the ground too put it into - even if that was still considered a way of getting rid of it. Rural areas such as Highland face huge problems in collecting sorrted rubbish in the outlying areas due to the fact that cost of collection is very high. It works better where you have a lot of people close together.

The future costs are of disposal are incredibly high and council taxpayers will in all probability face higher and higher bills for disposal unless we manage to recycle much more and even then the costs mare likely still to rise bit not as mcuh as if we do nothing.

Seater tip in Caithness is one of the very few properly lined sites in Highland that fits the SEPA regulations for diposal and that is why rubbish from other parts of Highland will be coming to Caithness. The capital cost of making new places is also extremely high and difficult when budgets are under pressure as they are at the moment. Still the council faces some extremely difficult decisions in coming years and none of them are pleasant in terms of the costs. Highland is not alone and all councils are having to face up to the strict rules being imposed by Europe and SEPA. The decisons have been put off for many years as all this did not happen over night. No one has really faced up to the problem as we were told at seminar by the Waste manager for Highland. The deadlines are now coming closer when action is required - in reality it is already past time.

Piglet
10-Nov-06, 11:14
We do have the large recycle bins for bottle, paper & textiles in the car park across from the shop.

That's fine but most people won't use them because of the nosey people in the village watching what you are putting in them. :roll:

Murdina Bug
10-Nov-06, 11:29
OMG! Please tell me that there are not curtain-twitchers counting the number of empty booze bottles I'm dumping!! Wouldn't it be fun to collect all your friends and neighbours bottles then stand there slinging them in for half an hour, giving a little hiccup and swaying slightly :lol:

Seriously, does anyone really care what other people put in recycling bins?!

wifie
10-Nov-06, 15:29
Well I suppose it is believable that nosey people with nothing better to do will check on people recycling. Don't let them put you off doing your bit for their environment.

angela5
10-Nov-06, 16:08
We do have the large recycle bins for bottle, paper & textiles in the car park across from the shop.

That's fine but most people won't use them because of the nosey people in the village watching what you are putting in them. :roll:

Really?? they must have nothing better to do, what's so exciting about keeping an eye out for people recyling:roll:

mccaugm
10-Nov-06, 22:51
Why does Castletown not have any of the recycling bins and boxes they have almost EVERYWHERE else in the county?:confused

Much the same in Halkirk, although we have a small recycling point which is WELL used. Have to say there is something very satisfying about saving up all your glass bottles and jars and smashing them in the receptacle. Who cares whos watching....don't they have lives?

Royster1911
11-Nov-06, 11:25
[quote=Bill Fernie;158679]This has to do with the replacement of the bin lorries that lift the bins. As the capital becomes available and new lorries are brought in you will get the recycling bins. The lorries are being replaced over a number of years and although I do not have the details you will eventually come into line with other areas.

This sounds like a red herring to me. Does not the scaffies and recycling lorries have to pass THROUGH Castletown? If so, then it must be down to hours worked rather than lack of lorries.:confused