PDA

View Full Version : Crufts 2012

mrsC2011
12-Mar-12, 22:58
Hi there Did anyone watch crufts this yr or am I the only one who still loves it was so pleased they listened to what they were told about the breed standereds and all the unhealthy dogs that had been classed as best in show over the yrs and was so pleased that all 7 breeds picked for the best in show had never been picked before and the cute lhaso ahpso that won but they were all stunning and very hairy dogs my favs were the newfy and the borzoi

changilass
12-Mar-12, 23:37
Still not without controversy this year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pets/9138390/Crufts-2012-Pete-Wedderburns-roundup.html

Tilly Teckel
12-Mar-12, 23:41
my favs were the newfy and the borzoi

I loved the Newfoundland too - especially when he gave his owner a big bear hug when they won Reserve! My fave of the finalists was actually the Pomeranian - not a breed I usually like but he was soooo cute :lol:. I enjoyed the section before the Best in Show with the service dogs too. The world would be a lonelier place without our doggies. And to think... I used to be a cat person :roll:!

mrsC2011
13-Mar-12, 00:37
I was brought up with cats so I get fed up with them I totally agree with u that peedy wee Pom was cute I only saw today's crufts as I've been away this wkend totally gutted that the bbc don't show it anymore I could have watched it on iplayer lol the is it me or does the water spaniel look like a standard poodle with a rats tail it's strange but lovely looking thing

Aaldtimer
13-Mar-12, 04:42
Still not without controversy this year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pets/9138390/Crufts-2012-Pete-Wedderburns-roundup.html

That really is good news !:)

Sarah
13-Mar-12, 15:23
I loved it! I wanted the little Pom, Borzoi or IWS to win. The little Pom was bursting with character!

brandy
13-Mar-12, 16:55
poms are normally at the bottom of my list of wanted dog breeds but he had so much life in him, couldnt help but smile! my fav. was the newfie, followed by the terrier. the water spaniel was just a little too bouncy in the ring but he was lovley! i just thought that Elizabeth was too groomed.. bless her she is gorgeous.. but i dont know just wanted the newfie to win! hubby was wanting Jimmy the old english to win.. he just loved him!

Dadie
13-Mar-12, 18:11
I loved the poor wee dog in the agility class that just had to go!
Immediate disqualification and mortified owner!

Tilly Teckel
13-Mar-12, 20:42
is it me or does the water spaniel look like a standard poodle with a rats tail

That's exactly what I thought! I'd never heard of them before and I have to say I wasn't overly keen.

I missed the agility section but it sounds like it was great fun!

froal
13-Mar-12, 23:03
The Newfoundland moved really well and was in tip-top condition least it got reserve...!! :)

A few of the Caithness Cainine Club were down competing too and some good placing's too...!! Well done to them...!! :D

singysmum
17-Mar-12, 17:08
I was brought up with cats so I get fed up with them I totally agree with u that peedy wee Pom was cute I only saw today's crufts as I've been away this wkend totally gutted that the bbc don't show it anymore I could have watched it on iplayer lol the is it me or does the water spaniel look like a standard poodle with a rats tail it's strange but lovely looking thing

Just caught this thread and was very surprised to see that most of the competition seems to be on youtube. I watched some of the heelwork to music and the compere kept saying that it was available live on youtube. I didn't watch it for long but it is good to know we can go back and watch at leisure anytime and are not limitd by the bbc iplayer to how long they make things available. Sorry don't hve any links but should be easy to find if you wish
Cheers

twiglet
18-Mar-12, 23:06
My Westie and I spent an enjoyable afternoon watching the agility and also loved watching the working dog class too! I so enjoy watching the westie, watching them lol

porshiepoo
19-Mar-12, 15:50
I took my Great Dane to Crufts in 2004 - got 2nd in his class I may add lol - and for those of you who have never been there in person it really ain't what it seems on TV.
The rings are amazingly small, as are the holding stalls and the worse thing ever is that the participants have to attempt to get their dogs in and out the same way as the thousands of people milling about the place - that may not sound too bad but believe me it can be a bloomin nightmare, a back door for dogs would have been a better way to go IMO. Mind you you aren't even allowed to remove your dog until 4pm anyways, so if you finished your class at 11am it makes for a veeeery long day for yourself and the dog, especially if you then have to travel a long way home.
And although I understand the theory behind letting every Joe Blog have access to the dog stalls so they can "ooo" and "ahhh" over them it can be sooooo annoying when all you want to do is sit and relax and your dog is freaked out by the constant camera flashes at them. Plus having to constantly tell people 'no you cannot feed him some of your food' is amazingly annoying.

As for the dogs, unfortunately it is often more about the person holding the lead than the animal itself. Certain breeds in dog showing can be very clicky and I have seen the most awful representations of a breed get placed simply because of the person that is holding the lead. (hence IMO why so many breeds are no longer representative of their breed despite the breed standards not changing)
In fact dog showing can be so predictable that it can be the least enjoyable experience for the average person hoping to have a go.

I was amazingly chuffed to get such a good placing with my Dane but despite qualifying again for the following years Crufts I chose not to go - awful day out with dogs!