PDA

View Full Version : Cheer Up Will Ye, It could Be Worse

acameron
09-Nov-06, 21:25
While working today, a distinguished gentleman stopped me and ask me how I was getting on, I replied “terrible, because I was on a job I did not like”. He told me to stop being so negative, look at all the people that I am meeting in my job, and he was right. I’m not usually the negative type, and off I went and it got me thinking about how people think, and how it’s easier to think negatively rather than positively.
How do you think in general? Do you like a moan? Do you give others the benefit?

Live long and prosper Mr Distinguished Gentleman

unicorn
09-Nov-06, 21:36
I am normally pretty positive but we all like a moan sometimes lol. That said tonight I saw something that made me really sad, I saw a man last weekend going through bin bags at the back of the cancer relief shop and thought that poor guy must be really down on his luck and tonight I saw the same guy sitting on his bag outside lidls picking at his finger nails and I realised the guy is possibly homeless and felt so sorry for him to be outside in such awful weather and I thought about how I moan about the simple things and this poor guy probably doesn't even have anyone to moan to but has everything and every right to moan. I suddenly felt like a very selfish person. Maybe he is not homeless and I just got it wrong but their are so many that are in this weather and it's something I honestly never really thought about before. On the way home last night when it was lashing rain and hail I said to hubby I feel really sorry for animals in this weather, I never even gave a thought to homeless people. :(

Kingetter
09-Nov-06, 21:48
While working today, a distinguished gentleman stopped me and ask me how I was getting on, I replied “terrible, because I was on a job I did not like”. He told me to stop being so negative, look at all the people that I am meeting in my job, and he was right. I’m not usually the negative type, and off I went and it got me thinking about how people think, and how it’s easier to think negatively rather than positively.
How do you think in general? Do you like a moan? Do you give others the benefit?

Live long and prosper Mr Distinguished Gentleman

Wisnae the feller in this was it?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/116429/the_grim_reeper/

Billy Boy
09-Nov-06, 21:49
just remember lol, when you think things are bad and canna get any worse stop and think there is always someone who is worse off than you atleast you have a job and your health & a loving family lol

B.T.W. I like a good moan at work but i put that down to the pressure i am under :Razz

gleeber
09-Nov-06, 21:51
Thinkings a bummer. It never stops. I dunno where it comes from sometimes.
Have you ever driven for miles down a busy motorway and realised after a while that you have been on automatic pilot?
Sometimes I get an uneasy feeling from somewhere deep in my socks for no apparent reason. Even when I'm asleep my dreams are still making sense of the intricacies of my thinking life.
I think we think thinkings :confused a seperate part of ourselves, something we have no control over and therefore nothing we can do about it. Thinking has a mind of its own so to speak.

acameron
09-Nov-06, 22:06
Ive done the automatic pilot many many times ( Janes tells me to stop daydreaming)- and its true, your thoughts take you in some strange directions, but then again, so does life itself.

As long as you can say to yourself " Ach well, thats the way it is"

cuddlepop
09-Nov-06, 22:25
Its like when you think the world and his wife's out to get you.No matter what you do someone somewhere kicks you in the teeth.
This past weekend was classic,nothing and i mean nothing went right.
On WednesdayI found out that the course I've been wanting to do for ages gets pulled because of lack of numbers,The hoopes I had to jump to get funding i wont even go into.
Somehow even when you think, thats it lifes a you know what,A little glimmer of hope appears on the horizon.Tonight thankfully I got that glimpse.:)

htwood
09-Nov-06, 23:14
Most people enjoy, and deserve, the occasional moan, but for some folks, it becomes a nasty habit and they waste their lives drowning in negativity.
Making a list of things you are grateful for helps get you out of the occasional snit.
I'm a thinker...the hamsters in their cage wheels never seem to slow down, even when I'm sleeping. When I'm ready to wring a client's neck (if they lose those documents one more time....whyyy, I oughttttaaaaaaa..), I reach into the sack o sympathy, and muster something up that helps me feel compassion for their inability to sign and return important papers (there go the hamsters, spinning out theories....did they stop for a coffee and leave them on table?...do they have a paper eating disorder and snacked on them?..how many times have I done this, and will this be the last time) And if that fails, I have my granddad's double headed axe, and I wail away at an old tree stump. Turns things positive right away!

sassylass
10-Nov-06, 04:16
I never moan, never.

golach
10-Nov-06, 11:10
Ac I think your suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.
SAD, I am sure I heard someone say "That Ac is a sad sack" the other day, so I had a look on Google for you.
Check out the symptoms, I am sure this is your problem mate. Hope you get better soon:lol:

http://www.sada.org.uk/symptoms.htm

Errogie
10-Nov-06, 11:30
My granny was reading the NJew Scientist and watching Tomorrow's World at 99 and made it to a hundred and four. I go for positivity and optimism as a defence mechanism against the moans, the alternative just isn't an option in the survival game.
And you can tell what God thinks of money by the people he gives it to!

acameron
10-Nov-06, 16:04
Ac I think your suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Not at all Golach - Im jist dandy, I just had a wee slip into of fedupness.

..and Billyboy??? You only moan at work because of pressure?? - listening to you, you are under it an awful lot then. Mrs Billyboy can you confirm or deny if Mr Billyboy likes a moan at home.

rockchick
10-Nov-06, 16:54
It could always be worse....I could be pregnant! (with twins???)

Nonononononononononono...................

Errogie
10-Nov-06, 18:32
I'll see you all tomorrow if we're spared!

Billy Boy
10-Nov-06, 18:42
Not at all Golach - Im jist dandy, I just had a wee slip into of fedupness.

..and Billyboy??? You only moan at work because of pressure?? - listening to you, you are under it an awful lot then. Mrs Billyboy can you confirm or deny if Mr Billyboy likes a moan at home.

lol, when he gets home from work its like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders, Its the guys he works with that cause him all the stress which in turn makes him moan, after all he is just an angel sent from heaven :roll: ;)

acameron
10-Nov-06, 19:16
lol, when he gets home from work its like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders, Its the guys he works with that cause him all the stress which in turn makes him moan, after all he is just an angel sent from heaven :roll: ;)

Yes Mr Billyboy, can you not let Mrs Billyboy answer

sweetpea
10-Nov-06, 19:25
[quote=gleeber;158590]Thinkings a bummer. It never stops. I dunno where it comes from sometimes.

Yeah I know what you mean. I call it mental chatter. Suffered from it for years until I took up meditation. I have practised emtying my mind as part of the process of letting go of thoughts. Simple relaxation techniques help as well.
I try to follow a sort of 'karmic' outlook on life in that if I send out negative thoughts I get them back and positive ones bring good outcomes and I try to go with the flow and even harder trying to receive and deal with time as it comes, not past or future, if you know what I mean. I find all these things help but it does require a daily effort to maintain them.

Unicorn, I saw the guy your on about a couple of times now and I'd say he's homeless too.

Billy Boy
10-Nov-06, 21:03
Yes Mr Billyboy, can you not let Mrs Billyboy answer

Well ac, Mr Billy Boy moan????
Ofcourse he can moan lol, he could put a woman with P.M.T. to shame at times,[evil] but a guess you knew that already;)

obiron
10-Nov-06, 21:12
well i like to think that im a cup half full type person, but do have off days now and again.

acameron
10-Nov-06, 21:23
Well ac, Mr Billy Boy moan????
Ofcourse he can moan lol, he could put a woman with P.M.T. to shame at times,[evil] but a guess you knew that already;)

Your right, didnt know why I even asked - and I will keep your quote handy. Angel from heaven indeed.

I think Mr Billy Boy should try a day on non-moaning.

acameron
10-Nov-06, 21:27
Is moaning a way of slow venting anger? Is it bad for you not to moan or gripe? My moans are minimal but I do have a wee one now and then, but always followed by "ach what can you do?" or "thats the way it is"

Can people live without having a moan?

percy toboggan
10-Nov-06, 21:32
My cup is more often half empty than half full.
It seldom matters because I usually knock it over and spill it anyway:~(

htwood
11-Nov-06, 06:31
I would bet most people have the occasional moan, yes, maybe even sassylass on a bad day. It's might be a tension reliever or a way to sort out whats bothering you. Like my last post about absentminded clients, I couldnt say that to their faces, so complained here. It buys some time to muster up the extra empathy.

But yes, most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be. The power of positive thinking is astounding.

wifie
11-Nov-06, 17:31
When feeling grotty - check out the forum on the org as there is always something to laugh at even amongst the moans.

cuddlepop
11-Nov-06, 18:23
Log onto the music forum and open up the thread that slags of Caithness's music scene.
Its hilarious:lol:

recipe_hunter
11-Nov-06, 18:42
Is moaning a way of slow venting anger? Is it bad for you not to moan or gripe? My moans are minimal but I do have a wee one now and then, but always followed by "ach what can you do?" or "thats the way it is"

I think there are two different kind of "moaners", some are genuinly negative about everything, which isn't good... but others find it a way of dealing with bad situations, as you say, a way of letting off steam. The second kind are generally positive in their outlook on life.

I would say I'm generally happy but I do enjoy having a good moan about the occassional thing, especially if I feel I have the moral high ground on the matter!! It means I don't bottle things up and I usually feel better once it's all out!

Billy Boy
12-Nov-06, 20:46

ach well what can you do lol, it's almost monday morn again,are you ready with your minimal moan[lol]

acameron
12-Nov-06, 21:11
Jings - Monday morning already -- Let the moans begin