PDA

View Full Version : winamp or itunes or other

roblovesplastic
09-Nov-06, 21:15
what do you listen to yours mp3's on?

Jeid
09-Nov-06, 22:15
Window Media Player 10... although 11 would be nice if they made things a bit faster.

Niall Fernie
10-Nov-06, 11:03
Definately Winamp for me, its the only thing I can find that has a stereo to 5.1 output system. Why have a 5.1 setup and only get your music from 2 of the front speakers? (and maybe the woofer if it has an internal splitter). Plus you can get iTunes and Media Player skins for Winamp if you really like the look of those other players.

j4bberw0ck
10-Nov-06, 19:22
Sticking with MusicMatch Jukebox ver 8 for now; ver 9 introduced some sort of peculiar file which stayed active when the application was closed down; identifiable by a single pixel in the top left of the screen turning white. Filename is mim.exe and it bloated the Jukebox signficantly. Googling it produced enough paranoid perspectives that I decided to do without the upgrade, so I uninstalled it and went back to 8.

I like its playlist handling, the speed it rips at, and the easy interface.

acameron
10-Nov-06, 20:47
Ive had winamp for years, tried other players but Winamp is the best. (jings, that sounded like a winamp advert)

Metalattakk
11-Nov-06, 01:03
Sticking with MusicMatch Jukebox ver 8 for now; ver 9 introduced some sort of peculiar file which stayed active when the application was closed down; identifiable by a single pixel in the top left of the screen turning white. Filename is mim.exe and it bloated the Jukebox signficantly. Googling it produced enough paranoid perspectives that I decided to do without the upgrade, so I uninstalled it and went back to 8.

I like its playlist handling, the speed it rips at, and the easy interface.

Yeah, I used to like MusicMatch too, but the same issues arose with me so I binned it. It used to allow decent CD-burning too, which even the wife could understand easily, if you know what I mean...? ;)

Nowadays, I can't see past WinAmp, simply because it's simple and not memory-intensive. It happily whirrs away in the background by itself, and doesn't hog the system. Plus, the plug-ins are nice too.

Although, if the codecs let you down for any particular file, download the VLC Player. Google it if you need. It covers every conceivable file you can imagine, both audio and video. And again, it's free.

j4bberw0ck
11-Nov-06, 14:32
Cheers, Metalattakk, I'll take a look :cool:

zebedy
15-Nov-06, 17:34
media player for me aswel...
on 10

and as jeid said 11 would be great!

midi2304
15-Nov-06, 18:28
I work in the music industry and when I got my first iPod and loaded iTunes, I wanted to hate it so much.

But you know what? It's ace. I have Winamp too and I really like it but it just isn't as clean and user friendly as iTunes. I've never had MusicMatch so I can't really comment on it (I may check it out though now I've heard some of your opinions on it) but when it comes to iTunes vs Winamp, for me, iTunes comes out on top every time.

Jeid
15-Nov-06, 23:34
Not a fan of iTunes at all. I'm intrigued about trying Winamp again though... I'll go download.

Cazaa
15-Nov-06, 23:57
Sometimes use iTunes on Macs at work (fantastic program) - but I use flac at home (http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html) lossless audio format. Well worth a try - but no portable players for it yet.

Dreadnought
20-Nov-06, 10:12
Window Media Player 10... although 11 would be nice if they made things a bit faster.

Media Player 11 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.mspx) is now available, and its a cracker!

Jeid
20-Nov-06, 11:34
Yeah, but it's a tad slow...

Stumurf
21-Nov-06, 12:03
(regarding windows media player 11)

does anyone know what happened to the option "automatically aqcuire licences".... i like to have that turned off for some unknown reason and i cant seem to find it in version 11? ;)

Thanks....

as for my player... up until a while back winamp was definately top of my list.. i used version 4.1 (ii think) for about 3 years, it did everthing on practically no resources... after a few pc upgrades, i sadly starting to like windows media player 10... due to constant use i am now stuck with it...

WeeBurd
21-Nov-06, 23:06
MrBurd uses WinAmp - annoy's the heck out of me, as it automatically makes all music files on the OC, play on WinAmp if you open them by a double click. Still, he loves it, and won't use anything else.

Me, I'm a 'Burd, so I just stick with what was on the PC when we bought it which was Media Player, and just try and remember to upgrade it every so often. I had downloaded v.11 the other day, but shortly after we did a OS reload, so I'm back on v.9 I think just now.

Dreadnought
21-Nov-06, 23:20
Yeah, but it's a tad slow...

Not slow for me :confused: