PDA

View Full Version : The term "orger"

scotsboy
09-Nov-06, 17:04
As this is a Caithness website I would like to discuss whether the term "ORGER" is actually the correct term to use. Being from Thurso, I would have thought that someone who frequents the Org, is in fact an ORGIE. Comments?

j4bberw0ck
09-Nov-06, 17:13
Or for mods, an OGRE? And for bikers, an OGRI? :lol:

Dali
09-Nov-06, 18:01
I would of thought something like Caithneters would of been more like it as .org is not just used for caithness. As .org is used on many other websites so does not really sort us out as just from this site.

DrSzin
09-Nov-06, 18:34
As this is a Caithness website I would like to discuss whether the term "ORGER" is actually the correct term to use. Being from Thurso, I would have thought that someone who frequents the Org, is in fact an ORGIE. Comments?Good idea. You and I would be boyorgies and the ladies would lassorgies.

I would of thought something like Caithneters would of been more like it as .org is not just used for caithness. As .org is used on many other websites so does not really sort us out as just from this site.It's more complicated than that. One origin of "Orger" derives from the similarity between the Ord of Caithness and Caithness.Org. If I remember rightly, the term Orger was invented independently by several people, but I don't recall who they were. Was Rheghead one?

zappster
09-Nov-06, 18:46
lol are you suggesting an orgy?

JAWS
09-Nov-06, 19:02
"If it ain't bust, don't fix it!"

As far as I am aware the name "Orger" came into being by popular usage much as a Nickname does.

People see it, recognise the connection, and start using it. Those who do not wish to use it don't have to.
There is no rule to say they have to so why make an issue of it?

Those who do not wish to call themselves "Orgers" can call themselves whatever they wish, it will make no difference to this Orger.

golach
09-Nov-06, 20:12
I'm with you Jaws, we have been Orgers for a while, and its works, I am proud to be a .Orger, Its not broke, so why fix it, or change it?

Bill Fernie
09-Nov-06, 20:17
Ah the great smorgasborg of life – its all here or might be eventually at the rate things are going. Argy Bargy – or Orgy Borgy. The main thing is to be creative. Let the imagination rip and we could have Borgering On Genius (I am sure a few will remember Victor Borge – I still have the LP and that probably alone puts me into my generation – For those who need enlightening see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Borge

Orger is one of those terms of endearment or attack or indeed open to any connotation that the user might care to think up. I suppose it has that light touch and being only two syllables runs of the tongue easily. It appears to be easy to remember and at the same time seems to have taken on the form of membership to club that almost anyone can join (I am not sure about Frank Ward/Pussycat although theoretically once you are in you are in) Membership is FREE and if you do not become bored it can be lifetime. Orgering (not quite ogling but almost) might be useful term for anyone putting out ideas , theories or commentaries on the passing scenes, gossip or other aspect of Caithness or indeed apparently any other item of news or topic across the globe these days. Debate, Discussion, Diatribes depending on your viewpoint are all griss to the Orger mill.

Orgers usually join in but perhaps the lurkers are also Orgers as once in their appears to be growing tendency to come back.

In many respects the Org is akin to a sci-fi story I once read where an alien exchanges his mind with an earthman. The earthman gained all of the knowledge of the alien and all others who had made the exchange with it. It came with all manner of excellent information and ideas but also some of the darkest knowledge and nasty moments of all of the exchangees lives. Amongst the people or beings were crooks and murderers but all were changed in some way by the exchange. The gist of the book was that all gained in some way by the exchange regardless of their station in life or what ever they had done in their past. The collective knowledge of all had become available to everyone of the beings involved in the exchanges.

Despite the odd blips as far as I can tell the Orgers are collectively a force for good. Even the blips seem only to reinforce the collective Org as they highlight anything that might tend to be untrue or be unduly biased to one side or another.

I am not even sure of the origin of Orger myself or at least who first used the term - perhaps some one knows. It is easy to remember and exist on the boards but with a tendency to overlap into the real world. Perhaps one day it will take on an even greater aspect of life and begin to show up in more ways in the real Caithness and I believe it already has but I will save that for another day.

MadPict
09-Nov-06, 20:29
I have seen other members of .org communities refer to themselves as Orgers. So Caithness.org doesn't have the sole distinction of being the only Orgers roaming interwebnetland....

scotsboy
09-Nov-06, 20:44
I wasn't proposing a change - just discussing the lexicography in light of the particular dialect and nuances of language we use.

I myself am happy to be an orger, I consider myself a pedantic orger, and can be an awkward orger on occasion.

sapphire
09-Nov-06, 21:39
[quote=Bill Fernie;158528]Ah the great smorgasborg of life – its all here or might be eventually at the rate things are going. Argy Bargy – or Orgy Borgy. The main thing is to be creative. Let the imagination rip and we could have Borgering On Genius (I am sure a few will remember Victor Borge – I still have the LP and that probably alone puts me into my generation – For those who need enlightening see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Borge

Bill...I am the proud owner of a Victor Borge video called 'The Funniest Moments of Victor Borge'....and brilliant he was too.
Just like to point out that I'm not in your generation....YET!:lol:
But I appreciate genius when I see it!;)