PDA

View Full Version : High Street Pavement

Mizpah
09-Nov-06, 15:40
:( Has anyone else noticed the work that has been done on the new pavement they are laying just now, personally I think it is a disgrace what they have done ouside the "99p" shop they have narrowed it so much that if a pedestrian were to meet someone with a pram they would have to go on to the road to pass it. This particular bit must now be the narrowest pavement in the whole town and it is on one of the main streets what are our planners thinking about. I think it is time our councillors Smith and Fernie had a look at it and did something about it before it is to late. What do you think, I think it is an accident waiting to happen and then there will be an outcry but it will be to late.:(

danc1ngwitch
09-Nov-06, 15:53
I went to Wick hospital for a scan the other day and as i drove toward the front entrance i couldna beleive the pot holes in the tar...

zappster
09-Nov-06, 18:55
yep we noticed that the other day it is very narrow

KCI
09-Nov-06, 19:14
It does seem to be quite narrow.

I'm not looking forward to trying to negotiate my double pushchair along the pavement - it's a side by side one! :eek:

Venture
09-Nov-06, 19:29
Has anyone else noticed how uneven the pavement is in places. Round the corner from Houstons going towards Somerfield it actually goes up and down like a hill and on the MacAllans side of the street near the pedestrian crossing its the same.

badger
09-Nov-06, 20:10
I'd love to know what on earth they think they are doing. Seems to me they have taken up perfectly good, attractive small paving stones to replace with large, potentially slippery ones with slopes and, as mentioned, narrower pavement in places. No doubt all at vast expense for us taxpayers. Does anyone know what has been achieved by this exercise, apart from a great deal of aggravation for shopkeepers and shoppers alike :confused

ice box
09-Nov-06, 20:40
Well for the pavement being narrowed at the butchers side i would imagine is to allow for traffic to get past when people park there cars there to nip into the butchers coz there to lazy to walk from the car park behind the shop. And i would imagine the reason for the bigger slabs are that the lock block is more of a trip hazard than the slabs i don't see you complaining about the slabs in the precict now do we you lot are never happy if they didn't do anything to brighting up the town you would still complain like i say some people are never happy unless there complaining i think there doing a great job .

scorrie
09-Nov-06, 23:09
I'd love to know what on earth they think they are doing. Seems to me they have taken up perfectly good, attractive small paving stones to replace with large, potentially slippery ones with slopes and, as mentioned, narrower pavement in places. No doubt all at vast expense for us taxpayers. Does anyone know what has been achieved by this exercise, apart from a great deal of aggravation for shopkeepers and shoppers alike :confused

The slabs laid on the pavement going down Whitechapel Road look ideal ice skating material for this winter. What odds will you give me on some owld wifie whizzing down past the bogs and taking a heider through Somerfield's window?

dirdyweeker
09-Nov-06, 23:28
I went to Wick hospital for a scan the other day and as i drove toward the front entrance i couldna beleive the pot holes in the tar...

Been like this for quite some time now. Don't know who should be resurfacing but presume it is the Health Board.

Mizpah
10-Nov-06, 12:03
Well for the pavement being narrowed at the butchers side i would imagine is to allow for traffic to get past when people park there cars there to nip into the butchers coz there to lazy to walk from the car park behind the shop. And i would imagine the reason for the bigger slabs are that the lock block is more of a trip hazard than the slabs i don't see you complaining about the slabs in the precict now do we you lot are never happy if they didn't do anything to brighting up the town you would still complain like i say some people are never happy unless there complaining i think there doing a great job .

:( Hi there I am not complaining about the work being done all I am concerned about is the safety of the pedestrians who will be using the pavement. As regards being against change, no I am all for change if it is for the betterment of our Town but this is not as it is taking us back nearly forty years and to the size of pavements that were in High Street before the re-development so this is a step back in time not forward.:(

sjr014
10-Nov-06, 18:57
i think the work that is geting done on the street is well worth while and when it is done will make the town look nicer.the narrowing of the street is agood idea how often do you drive round the corner and ther is a van or lorry siting there and you have to wait to get passed???

badger
10-Nov-06, 19:45
As a driver and pedestrian, I'd rather have to wait a minute or two in the car than put mothers with pushchairs on the pavement in danger.

And I am absolutely terrified of slippery slopes in winter so if you see an "old wifie" nervously putting one foot in front of the other very slowly, you'll know who it is. Might have to go round the other way where there's a handrail. Sat down very hard on my btm. in Swindon station car park once on an icy day and got carted off to hospital - never forgot it. Family and friends are now used to me shrieking to have my hand held on the most innocent slopes :roll: so don't fancy those new pavement slopes at all.

rfr10
10-Nov-06, 19:54
Simple solution: Cross the road.... :confused

ice box
10-Nov-06, 23:09
I think the reason for the slopes in the pavement are for easier travel off the pavement and on to the road for wheelchairs and buggy's etc. i think it looks great and if the council keep it well salted there shouldn't be a problem if you notice there only slopes at the traffic lights and they were there before (and at the conner of Houston ):)

willowbankbear
11-Nov-06, 11:05
I think the reason for the slopes in the pavement are for easier travel off the pavement and on to the road for wheelchairs and buggy's etc. i think it looks great and if the council keep it well salted there shouldn't be a problem if you notice there only slopes at the traffic lights and they were there before (and at the conner of Houston ):)

Well said IceBox , thats true about the slopes & your right some folk are never happy. What would the posters prefer to see in place of the slabs? Id be interested to know? Magic non slip paths? As they havnt been invented a lot of salt in the winter & due care & attention as always will have to be administered, Rant over;)

sapphire
11-Nov-06, 11:14
I think (imo) that at the end of the day...once it's all done of course!....the 'street' is going to look great,and everyone will get used to its new 'quirks'.

But how are we going to stop the idiots who insist in spitting out their gum all over it? :(

rfr10
11-Nov-06, 12:28
I think (imo) that at the end of the day...once it's all done of course!....the 'street' is going to look great,and everyone will get used to its new 'quirks'.

But how are we going to stop the idiots who insist in spitting out their gum all over it? :(

You'll probably still not be able to stop that unfortionatly but maybe, since the surface is smooth, it will be easier to clean.

Niall Fernie
11-Nov-06, 13:31
Just a thought, but with all the vans that park on that bit of pavement, almost every day. When has it ever been possible to walk a double buggy down that side of the street? If the work helps prevent cars from parking on the pavement surely this will be an improvement.

Interesting reading:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_504743.hcsp

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.htm

rfr10
11-Nov-06, 18:51
Had a look at the pavement today and it doesn't look that narrow at all. It may be slightly narrower but by very little.

Fran
12-Nov-06, 04:52
the hospital roads will be getting done shortly

2little2late
13-Nov-06, 23:34
Perhaps if people read the local papers properly, they would know why the pavement has been narrowed. Firstly that part of the road was left until the end of the tourist season and the path has been narrowed to make the road wider to allow for vehicles to unload deliveries to Christies and Semi chem etc and to keep the traffic flowing as smooth as possible. The only time somebody wouldn't get past someone else on the pavement with a pushchair is if they had one like Vicky Pollard in little Britain.

George Brims
14-Nov-06, 01:22

I think Britain needs "Gum police" who are responsible for only one thing: picking up gum and sticking it in the hair of the person who spat it out. They would need to be in plain clothes, large enough to be physically intimidating, and probably armed for their own safety.

SNOWDOG
14-Nov-06, 15:25
Spoke to someone in Harrolds just now who said that the recess in the path is for the parking of various delivery lorries that always block that corner! :confused

SNOWDOG
14-Nov-06, 15:34
Also, on the hospital subject, can i ask people, (whoever they are) not to park in and around the A+E area at the front of Caithness General. We understand that there is a shortage of parking, but blocking the ambulance area is downright selfish and irresponsible. So please take the time to park responsibly, we do not have that luxury!:(

johno
14-Nov-06, 23:42

i agree entirely with you i think that they have made a great job of the paving [looks pretty smart to me]. and the narrow bit on the corner has always been like that, the only way to widen it would be to knock the corner of the building, anyway i cant recall any accidents there ever , and ive lived here all my life. as for the lower parts of the pavement i suppose that is in place for the disabled.wheelchairs etc. a pretty good job i say and even better now that the street is being resurfaced. pity though that it wont be sooner done when the waterboard, hydro electric or the gpo will dig it up again and that s for sure?
:~(

Moira
15-Nov-06, 01:17
Also, on the hospital subject, can i ask people, (whoever they are) not to park in and around the A+E area at the front of Caithness General. We understand that there is a shortage of parking, but blocking the ambulance area is downright selfish and irresponsible. So please take the time to park responsibly, we do not have that luxury!:(

Snowdog - you should not have to be asking anyone to use their common sense here. If anyone is parking around the A&E Entrance to a hospital & blocking the ambulance area, then surely that's a issue to be dealt with swiftly by the hospital management. I always find it easier to park half-way up Sinclair Terrace & walk to the hospital, rather than find a parking space at it, and I mean the official car park round the side.

Raigmore security staff, apparently, have these fantastically "gluey" stickers which they plaster to the windscreens of cars, inappropriately parked. Maybe it's time Caithness General invested in some of these. [evil]

SNOWDOG
15-Nov-06, 11:59
The porters do put on stickers if we complain, but the main problem seems to be the lack of signs and road markings. We have little hassle at Raigmore, but unfortunatly at Caithness General all the signs are missing apart from one 'no stopping' sign that is hardly visible, most of the 'box grid' markings are worn off and a lot of people ignore the 'disabled parking' signs. This unfortunatly leads to 'certain types' parking where ever they want. We hear the front of the hospital is going to be resurfaced soon so watch this space!:(

BRIE
15-Nov-06, 12:29
i will be pleased when the works done. Ive had a few nightmares trying to get the pram inbetween the railings that the workmen have put up!

johno
15-Nov-06, 17:38
i agree entirely with you i think that they have made a great job of the paving [looks pretty smart to me]. and the narrow bit on the corner has always been like that, the only way to widen it would be to knock the corner of the building, anyway i cant recall any accidents there ever , and ive lived here all my life. as for the lower parts of the pavement i suppose that is in place for the disabled.wheelchairs etc. a pretty good job i say and even better now that the street is being resurfaced. pity though that it wont be sooner done when the waterboard, hydro electric or the gpo will dig it up again and that s for sure?
:~(
my apoligy, idid,nt realise that the pavement they are talking about is the one at the 99p shop, and not the one on the corner. well it is alarmingly narrow.

Mizpah
15-Nov-06, 19:32
my apoligy, idid,nt realise that the pavement they are talking about is the one at the 99p shop, and not the one on the corner. well it is alarmingly narrow.

Hi yhanks glad someone else agree's with me this is what I was speaking about when I first raised the topic, thanks.:lol: