PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Caithness

caithness import
09-Nov-06, 14:37
Can anyone tell me more about the search for oil SW of Lybster?

Is Wick going to be the Calgary of Aberdeen's Dallas?

Or are we looking at the next Clampetts of Oil?;)

embow
09-Nov-06, 19:07
As much as is known at present is in an article on the .org front page.

scotsboy
09-Nov-06, 19:11
So what would the feeling be if significant oil reserves were discovered onshore in Caithness? What should be done? Do you think it is correct that they should be exploited to their full potential, bearing in mind the undisputable facts that carbon emissions are enhancing the greenhouse effects due to the rate at which we are burning fossil fuels…….or should we leave it where it is and do out bit for the environment?

Dreadnought
09-Nov-06, 19:30
If oil is found in Caithness...

The biggest impact on the area will be the sudden arrival of the US Army intent on bringing democracy to Caithness...

:lol:

JAWS
09-Nov-06, 19:42
That explains a lot!

oldmarine
10-Nov-06, 05:34
If oil is found in Caithness...

The biggest impact on the area will be the sudden arrival of the US Army intent on bringing democracy to Caithness...

:lol:

Ouch! Have you not read in the US papers that the Democrat party has neutralized Bush and his policies?

JAWS
10-Nov-06, 06:04
That's disastrous news, now we'll never get a McDonalds!

Seabird
10-Nov-06, 09:18
It's been known for some time that there is oil off the NE coast.
During the Summer a ship you might have seen was doing a survey off the NE coast looking for the area to aim for with this land based rig.
It seems that a land based rig can drll up to 11 kilometers out to sea.
This being cheaper than having a rig close to the shore line.
If they do find oil then the inpact will be simular to that in Dorset, where they have done the same thing.
Very enviromental friendly.
At the outset i think it will be quite a large operation judging from the size of the site they want, and as yet the exact location for the exploration rig is yet to be revealed.
So we can not yet say how this will effect the walkers who use the cliff top along the Lybster area.
I'm this operation will be set well back from the cliffs.

scotsboy
10-Nov-06, 09:27
The oil industry is not Environemntally friendly. The products of the oil industry are not environmentally friendly.........and before anyone says anything I work for the Worlds largst oil producers!!

Dreadnought
10-Nov-06, 09:39
That's disastrous news, now we'll never get a McDonalds!

Think yourselves lucky! You'd be better off wishing for Wimpy to open up. At Wimpy the food is cooked fresh in front of you by a trained chef. At McD's it is thrown together out of sight, by acne riddled 16 year olds who are amazed how well the buns remove the dirt from under their fingernails as they work.

Rheghead
10-Nov-06, 10:57
I heard a wee rumour that an oil refinery was earmarked for Brims Ness. :D

JAWS
10-Nov-06, 20:05
Think yourselves lucky! You'd be better off wishing for Wimpy to open up. At Wimpy the food is cooked fresh in front of you by a trained chef. At McD's it is thrown together out of sight, by acne riddled 16 year olds who are amazed how well the buns remove the dirt from under their fingernails as they work.Gave up Wimpey's many decades ago, much prefer McDonalds and Kentucky Fried.
Bring on the GI's, they will spend money and boost the Caithness Economy.
It will give all those who have a problem with them to complain close up.
That's assuming that some of them ever gat close enough the Caithness to do it.

Bobbyian
10-Nov-06, 20:29
Jaws, You have obviously never worked with Gi`s I say Keep then 30,000 miles away or if you have to fight with them make sure they are in front of you and not to any side or behind you. we should make our own industry not copy or finance others

mareng
10-Nov-06, 22:32
Gave up Wimpey's many decades ago, much prefer McDonalds and Kentucky Fried.
That's assuming that some of them ever gat close enough the Caithness to do it.

I was under the impression that the US base at Forss contributed a lot to at least the bars and taxi companies...until I spoke to one of said taxi companies. They apparently left more unpaid bills than not!

They bought everything off-base and contributed nothing much more than a "cultural feel" to the area.

They even bought the "old scrappers" (cars) that could barely rattle across the Ord to run (in comparison with RAF Lakenheith etc, whos personnel bought top of the range new cars)

Mmmmmm

mareng
10-Nov-06, 22:42
The oil industry is not Environemntally friendly. The products of the oil industry are not environmentally friendly.........and before anyone says anything I work for the Worlds largst oil producers!!

That must give you an insight that the rest of us mere mortals can only aspire to.

No they are not strictly environmently friendly - nothing to do with power supply/generation is.

It is all to do with sensible compromise.

But.......have a look at Shell's Wytch Farm project - and tell me that the same wouldn't happen in Caithness?

Next time you're speaking to Joe (Shell), tell him I said "Hi".

JAWS
10-Nov-06, 22:55
Seems they've already brought us a Tesco and an Asda.
I know all the Old Chestnuts about the "Yanks", I suspect the Germans and the Japanese have a slightly different version.

Roll on the Oil. The usual suspects will be able to tell us that Bush and Blair are conspiring to invade Caithness.

Man the Barricades, break out the RPGs, who was it who was coming again?
Oh yes, I remember, "The English are coming, the English are coming."
Now who was it said that? Can anybody remember?
To give you a slight clue, the place is now full of ex-Patriot Scots and their Navy was created by one.
Now that might explain a lot about them. [lol]

mareng
10-Nov-06, 23:19

Good grief - do you actually stand by that?

Let's apply the same argument to NIREX..............

"Bring on Nirex, they will give all those who have a problem with them to complain close up"

Errr............what?

Once they are in...........you've lost!

JAWS
10-Nov-06, 23:50
Apart from the fact I should have typed "allow" instead of "Give", yes.

Oil, Nyrex or the American invasion, which should I panic about first? Perhaps I should still be looking for "Reds under the Bed", but I never believed that tripe either.

"Behold, the End of the World is Nigh!" But not this Century! :roll:

Besides, what are those things I can see out at sea off Lybster? Was there the same fuss when the were suggested?

Kaishowing
11-Nov-06, 00:26
Personally, I think the arrival of the oil industry could be very good for the area....But only if certain conditions are in place.
The increase in employment, boost to the local retail industry, with the knock-on benefits would be fantastic.
Not at the expense of the local countryside though. Anything industrial must be close to zero impact as possible...a pipedream I know! (Forgive the pun)

Also any local growth must be balanced. We all know that oil is a finite commodity, and when it does dry up, we don't want the area to become more of a ghost town than it has been in the past when the herring industy died leaving a huge vacuum in the community.
Also, there must be the infastructure to be able to cope with the inevitable increase in population. As it is, Caithness General Hospital hasn't even got a dedicated paediatric unit, or a 24 hour in-house anaesthetist etc. It can barely cope with the funding it's given now, let alone with a sudden influx of new residents.
What about schools etc....?
Just as long as there's a symbiotic relationship between the oil company and the area.
I doubt it'll be of such a grand scale though. Certainly not enough for it to impact on us ordinary folk.
As usual, the rich will get richer.

iain
11-Nov-06, 01:09
Think yourselves lucky! You'd be better off wishing for Wimpy to open up. At Wimpy the food is cooked fresh in front of you by a trained chef. At McD's it is thrown together out of sight, by acne riddled 16 year olds who are amazed how well the buns remove the dirt from under their fingernails as they work.

Thought Wimpys had quarries

JAWS
11-Nov-06, 02:33
Kaishowing, I seem to recall that some time back there was an on shore oil find in the South of England. If I'm right, the conditions imposed for extraction was that any site should not impinge on the surrounding area and that included visually. I think much of the site was hidden underground.

I would think that such restrictions would be expected in this day and age. I would expect anybody who had such restrictions placed on them to wriggle and squirm a little, but that's only to be expected. I'm sure that once they had done that and got nowhere they would see reason.

I'm not naive enough to think they would just roll over an play dead but I suspect that under present attitudes they would at least want to appear to be considerate of the Environment.

cullbucket
11-Nov-06, 03:46
That must give you an insight that the rest of us mere mortals can only aspire to.

No they are not strictly environmently friendly - nothing to do with power supply/generation is.

But.......have a look at Shell's Wytch Farm project - and tell me that the same wouldn't happen in Caithness?

Wytch Farm is run by John (BP) and it is actually pretty nice - I was down there a few years ago. The environmental regulations are extremely tight - it is reportable if you spill water on the ground, never mind oil. The development is right in the middle of an extremely beautiful tourist area and is kept pretty low profile. Of course there will be some environmental issues if there is oil development (just like Alaska), but in general, a single drill site to accesss offshore reserves should be pretty low impact.

cullbucket
11-Nov-06, 05:06
Kaishowing, I seem to recall that some time back there was an on shore oil find in the South of England. If I'm right, the conditions imposed for extraction was that any site should not impinge on the surrounding area and that included visually. I think much of the site was hidden underground.

I would think that such restrictions would be expected in this day and age. I would expect anybody who had such restrictions placed on them to wriggle and squirm a little, but that's only to be expected. I'm sure that once they had done that and got nowhere they would see reason.

I'm not naive enough to think they would just roll over an play dead but I suspect that under present attitudes they would at least want to appear to be considerate of the Environment.

There are producing Oil and Gas Fields all over the UK, Wytch Farm is by far the biggest one, but there are a few around the Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire area and further North. Most of them are tiny and run by companies you would never have heard of. You can see the odd nodding donkey off the A1 if you have sharp eyes.

scotsboy
11-Nov-06, 10:08

Mareng I was trying to highlight that even someone who works in a particular industry can see/comment on its failings - not that I had any superior understanding........since you know so much about Shell's Wytch farm perhaps you can tell us if you approve of the disposal used for the naturally occurring radioactive material that causes then some problems.

Oh, and Shell are not the World's largest oil producers.