PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Coghill's death

Fran
04-Jan-05, 02:41
So sad to hear that Bobby Coghill died yesterday following surgery on December 31st. He was a great musician and will be sadly missed.

TanyaHorne
04-Jan-05, 18:42
Yeah, it is a really sad thing.Bobby is my uncle and he will be really sadly missed and not just from his family, everyone that knows him in Wick.
Tanya

Liz
04-Jan-05, 19:38
I was sad to hear of Bobby's death.

He was a genuinely nice person with a great talent.

The Godfather
04-Jan-05, 20:22
Yes, he will be sorely missed in our community. There should be some kind of memorial to him.

kev
04-Jan-05, 22:12
yes he will be sadly missed, he was a great man he was

Mr P Cannop
06-Jan-05, 20:47
just heard the service will be Saturday 8th @ 11.15am in Wick

Rhubarb
06-Jan-05, 20:58
Yeah, heard that too. Wick Old Parish Church. Should be a big send off.

Mr P Cannop
06-Jan-05, 21:03
think it will be a very very big one after the service the wick pipe band play up to the cemertry

Mr P Cannop
06-Jan-05, 22:04
Bobby's funeral service will take place on Saturday 8th January at 11:15 am.

The service will be held in the Wick Old Parish Church

skydivvy
08-Jan-05, 23:29
Bobby's funeral service will take place on Saturday 8th January at 11:15 am.

The service will be held in the Wick Old Parish Church

The pipe band playing as the people left the church was breathtaking - what a wonderful send off. I'm sure Bobby saw it and appreciated the crowds that turned up to say farewell.
If a man's life can be measured by how many attend his funeral - Bobby was one of the best. :~(

Mr P Cannop
08-Jan-05, 23:42
how meny people was there ??

katarina
09-Jan-05, 15:10
how meny people was there ??

Tons! the church was full. We had to stand at the back and we came half an hour early.
The pipe band playing as we left the church brought an extra lump to an already lumpy throat!

Mr P Cannop
09-Jan-05, 16:59
did the pipe band play again after that ??

roger
09-Jan-05, 17:46
I play with the Central Band of the Royal British Legion here in Edinburgh. Bobby played with us many times and was well liked and respected by us all. We will miss him
Bobby had been busy arranging for us to come North to take part in the music festival in June.
I do hope we will be able to come.

As a memorial to him might I suggest an annual "Bobby Coghill Trophy" for the best piper in the county? Or something along those lines. It could br presented during the Gala week.

Mr P Cannop
09-Jan-05, 18:26
I play with the Central Band of the Royal British Legion here in Edinburgh. Bobby played with us many times and was well liked and respected by us all. We will miss him
Bobby had been busy arranging for us to come North to take part in the music festival in June.
I do hope we will be able to come.

As a memorial to him might I suggest an annual "Bobby Coghill Trophy" for the best piper in the county? Or something along those lines. It could br presented during the Gala week.

am sure you will still be able to come up ??

friendlymel
10-Jan-05, 08:10
our sympathys go out to all of bobbys family
a lovely man

Bill Fernie
10-Jan-05, 09:49
The funeral of Bobby Coghill was one of the biggest seen in Wick for many years. Over 1000 people crammed the Wick Old Parish church with many people standing at the back and in the stairways.

Bobby's history was run through and as is often the case there was much more than people generally knew about him. He spent three years in the RAF during WW2. His musical career was long and he worked with many people in Scottish bands and pipe bands. He was a stone mason to trade and worked with several local contracotrs in his working life.

The esteem in which he was held was evident from the many people from all over Scotland from the Scottish music world who had come to Wick. Representatives from pipe bands in Germany and Switzerland had also made the trip to Wick for the funeral.

At the end of the service we were able to hear some of Bobby's own favourite Scottish tunes played over the speaker system as we left the church. On leaving the church a dramatic presentation of piping was made by the gathered pipers opposite the church in front of Kirkhill House. This was aparticularly fitting and moving tribute to a man who had given so much to piping in Wick and elsewhere.

The procession to Wick cemetery was one of the longest for many years with the Wick pipe band once again playing with a huge number of people attending the graveside for a final farewell.

weeboyagee
10-Jan-05, 11:51
A wonderful man with a great talent, well respected throughout Scotland and further afield. I was out of the county for the two week festive period on the Isle of Mull (land of the Mishnish and the late Bobby MacLeod) and in Skye. I heard about Bobby passing away the day after and I know that many who knew him over on the islands were talking about it and saying how much his contribution to the traditional music scene and the feisean (festival) movement will be missed. I had the fortune of being in Bobby's company enjoying many a tune or two and feel that it was an honour to be associated with him. My thoughts are with Bobbys family, his friends and his fellow musicians (especially his fellow pipeband members). He will be sadly missed and never replaced.

The Godfather
10-Jan-05, 18:28
Was there a tribute to him on Radio Scotland? I would like to hear it if there was.

Bill Fernie
11-Jan-05, 17:05
For the rest of this week you can "Listen Again" to the "Reel Blend" for Robbie Shepherd's piece on Bobby (it's between 20 and 25 minutes in). Just click on "Reel Blend" at http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland/view/show.shtml?listen_again

The Godfather
11-Jan-05, 17:31
Thanks Bill, ill have a listen.