PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Recipes

Joefitz
09-Mar-12, 15:25
I am currently researching Northern Scot's recipes. I would really appreciate anyone's input with recipes from the Caithness/Sutherland area. I have already found about six diffent ones for mince and tatties, Scotch broth, etc., but am interested in any that you may have from your family. Please respond either on here, or to jfitzpatrick@acutecprecision.com, and I appreciate any input at all!!
Thanks,
Joefitz

poppett
09-Mar-12, 16:01
Not entirely sure this is what you mean, but I make my own dip for crisps from a handed down Caithness recipe

A carton of full fat soft cheese, three shakes of heinz tomato ketchup, three shakes of heinz salad cream and worcester sauce to taste. If a runnier dip is required then some vinegar from silverskin pickled onions is the approved ingredient.

Sounds absolute awful, but tastes divine, and has been recognised as Caithness Dip as far south as North Wales!

Joefitz
09-Mar-12, 16:43
Thanks, Poppett, that is exactly the kind of thing i want! The more, the merrier!!

golach
09-Mar-12, 16:54
I would suggest you trawl through the Recipie forum, there are many old and new recipies on there

Joefitz
09-Mar-12, 16:57
Golach, I've been doing that, thanks...

nevergiveup
11-Mar-12, 22:41
How about BROSE!
This breakfast dish was a regular in many Thurso homes from very early days.
It consists of peasemeal with a nugget of butter added then mixed to a smooth paste with boiling water. Then add cold milk and ENJOY!

Whitewater
12-Mar-12, 00:16
Brose is good, I have oatmeal broze fairly regularly for breakfast, but I havn't seen peasemeal for a long time. Where do you get it?

nevergiveup
12-Mar-12, 13:47
Last time I was home in Thurso i bought it from the Mackays store on Rotterdam street.This little store has lots of local goodies, just what you want to buy, if you live south of the border and want a taste of home.
However the peasemeal brose is milled in Golspie Mill according to the packet.

canuck
17-Mar-12, 22:16
Hi, how goes the search? I hope that SIS didn't try to submit a recipe for raspberry pi.
Many Caithness cooks ended up in Winnipeg. When I'm in Canada next month I'll give my mother's old books a look through for you. I don't offer a lot of hope though. I'm still looking for a recipe for bannoch for ricco.

poppett
18-Mar-12, 00:11
Hi Canuk, try spelling it Bannock.......and google it for many interesting results.

Joefitz
18-Mar-12, 15:06
By the way, I'm particularly looking for a recipe for stovies, that had cabbage in it, my step mother's mother made it a coupla times, and boy,was it good!!....Any offers??
Thanks,
Joefitz