PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

cezzy1234
07-Mar-12, 19:06
hi i looking for some information about how i could stop my collie pup chasing
cars i was told that this breed do this how could i learn him not to do it..

demac-artist
07-Mar-12, 19:42
Patience and training

Have your dog on the lead and have treats at hand sit near the road and for every car you see approaching get his attention and have him sit once the car is nearly upon you have his full attention and give treat then praise him as he ignores the car, get a friend with a bike at first going pass you then cars off the main roads and then work up to main roads, walks should be on main roads at the end and have treats. I find a bag with fresh cooked chicken in tiny pieces works best

TAFKAL
07-Mar-12, 19:55
Don't ever tell him off if he does do it, just praise him when he doesn't. You need to find something that will keep his attention over the top of the car - cheese, chicken, liver, squeaky toy, ball. And keep that favourite just for training so it doesn,t lose it,s value.One tip is to not react to the car yourself. If you anticipate the problem the dog will pick up on it and it could create a problem where there wasn't one initially

Liz
08-Mar-12, 00:27
My dog, Benjy, was bad for doing this but got him to stop using the methods suggested by demac-artist and TAFKAL.

Lots and lots of praise when he doesn't react to cars and ignore him when he does!

cezzy1234
08-Mar-12, 19:13
Thank you for the advice i will take it on board and try it with him ....

Big Gaz
09-Mar-12, 15:07
my neighbours collie did this too but a careful training and reward programme worked wonders. I'm sure he'll be fine, just make sure the local farmer doesn't carry sheep in his car...... :eek: