PDA

View Full Version : Relatives of John and Louisa Sutherland(m1811) also Pegge Rae and Oag family

ruthsutherland
06-Mar-12, 05:16
I will be visiting Caithness and Wick at the end of May 2012 and would love to catch up with any distant relatives I may have in the area, in order to learn more about my family and Caithness. I am a descendant of John and Louisa Sutherland (married in 1811). My G grand parents George and Elizabeth Sutherland migrated to Australia in 1854.
My father Hugh Sutherland whilst serving in the Australian Army during WW1 visited Wick on leave and stayed with a Dr and Mrs Rae (who had a grand daughter Margaret Anne McEwen). He also spent time with Pegge Rae, John and Bette Oag and Willie Oag, some of whom I believe are also relatives of ours. My father had great memories of visiting this area and corresponded with these people all his life, thus my interest in visiting the area and meeting any of their descendants.
Any info on these people or my family would be fantastic.:o)

Tricia
07-Mar-12, 13:17
Margaret Sutherland bc 1822 a daughter of John and Louisa(Thomson) ......married Hugh OAG 13 Feb 1846.
They had several children including Louisa Oag b 1848 who married MY Angus More(Moir) 1872 and went to AUS. I have more on that line.
Margaret and Hugh also had Isabella Oag b 1865 - who married a James Sutherland. James died 1928 and Isabella 1950 in WICK.
I haven't followed much on this Wick side but James and Isabell S had a son Robert Sutherland c 1893 m Isobel Blackstock in WICK.

Do you have parents for your John Sutherland who m Louisa Thomson?

Oddquine
09-Mar-12, 16:49
Margaret Sutherland bc 1822 a daughter of John and Louisa(Thomson) ......married Hugh OAG 13 Feb 1846.
They had several children including Louisa Oag b 1848 who married MY Angus More(Moir) 1872 and went to AUS. I have more on that line.
Margaret and Hugh also had Isabella Oag b 1865 - who married a James Sutherland. James died 1928 and Isabella 1950 in WICK.
I haven't followed much on this Wick side but James and Isabell S had a son Robert Sutherland c 1893 m Isobel Blackstock in WICK.

Do you have parents for your John Sutherland who m Louisa Thomson?

I have them as John Sutherland and Christina Bain. Have John who married Louisa as the brother of my 3xggrandfather Donald Sutherland (married to Margaret Bain) in my Barnetson/Macdonald line along with another brother Benjamin. Parents and Benjamin's name from Donald's death certificate...but not yet got that far back and sideways in getting certificates for Benjamin or John to 100% confirm.

Tricia
09-Mar-12, 20:24
I have them as John Sutherland and Christina Bain. Have John who married Louisa as the brother of my 3xggrandfather Donald Sutherland (married to Margaret Bain) in my Barnetson/Macdonald line along with another brother Benjamin. Parents and Benjamin's name from Donald's death certificate...but not yet got that far back and sideways in getting certificates for Benjamin or John to 100% confirm.
Gets so confusing - all these Sutherland etc .
I do have a Benjamin Sutherland m Wick 1815 Helen Bain - 1st child called Benjamin. I imagine Ben senior could be related to John and Donald above.

flora
09-Mar-12, 23:47
Hi Tricia I'm very interested in your Benjamin Sutheland, I have a Benjamin Sutherland as witness to my Margaet Bain and Roderick Ross 1844 at Wick, both Roderick and Margaret are of Stirkoke, Margaret born Wick, her Father was Donald and on the marriage lines he was deceased, the other witness is Adam Gordon. I have been unable to get any further back. Do you have these in your tree?. or any other info' that might help me, anything will be much appreciated. Regards Flora

Oddquine
10-Mar-12, 05:29
Gets so confusing - all these Sutherland etc .
I do have a Benjamin Sutherland m Wick 1815 Helen Bain - 1st child called Benjamin. I imagine Ben senior could be related to John and Donald above.

That's the Benjamin Sutherland I thought it might be. On Donald's death certificate his address was given as Milton, Wick.....and in the 1861 census there is a Benjamin and Helen Sutherland at Hilton, Wick with the senior Benjamin being about the right age.

Tricia
10-Mar-12, 16:00
Hi Tricia I'm very interested in your Benjamin Sutheland, I have a Benjamin Sutherland as witness to my Margaet Bain and Roderick Ross 1844 at Wick, both Roderick and Margaret are of Stirkoke, Margaret born Wick, her Father was Donald and on the marriage lines he was deceased, the other witness is Adam Gordon. I have been unable to get any further back. Do you have these in your tree?. or any other info' that might help me, anything will be much appreciated. Regards Flora
Hi Flora.
Quick reply... haven't explored further yet.
Is it the Margaret Bain line you are searching for b abt 1829 Wick.?? - do you have the Ross family. Roderick born in Clyne, Sutherland.

Tricia
10-Mar-12, 17:03
Hi Flora.
Quick reply... haven't explored further yet.
Is it the Margaret Bain line you are searching for b abt 1829 Wick.?? - do you have the Ross family. Roderick born in Clyne, Sutherland.

Flora - You mentioned Stirkoke - so Benjamin as a witness in 1844 may have been (not conclusive)
iece: SCT1841/43 Place: Wick -Caithness Enumeration District: 5
Civil Parish: Wick Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 0 Page: 26
Address: Stirkoke
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
SUTHERLAND Benjamin M 60 Farmer Caithness
SUTHERLAND Cathrine F 55 Wife Caithness
SUTHERLAND John M 40 Caithness b 1797 app ?? brother of Benj above, see 1851 census where Catharine is John's sister-in-law aged 70.
SUTHERLAND Mary F 30 Wife Caithness John's wife
SUTHERLAND Janet F 10 Caithness All John's children
SUTHERLAND John M 7 Caithness
SUTHERLAND James M 5 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Cathrine F 3 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Benjamin M 6m Caithness
HARROLD James M 70 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
BRUCE Donald M 15 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
SUTHERLAND John M 15 Agricultural Labourer Caithness

I think Benjamin may have died bef 1851 and Catherine a widow is staying with John and Mary in Stirkoke - NB the 1841 cenus has Benjamin and his brother! JOhn m Mary and their children.....

Stop now before totally confused.

Tricia
10-Mar-12, 17:19
I will be visiting Caithness and Wick at the end of May 2012 and would love to catch up with any distant relatives I may have in the area, in order to learn more about my family and Caithness. I am a descendant of John and Louisa Sutherland (married in 1811). My G grand parents George and Elizabeth Sutherland migrated to Australia in 1854. )

Ruth - are you still here? This started as your Question and we are sidetracking but happy to help if we can.
I have some data on the Oags which will probably relate to you via some way.
Quote"The first to arrive in Australia was Alexander Oag (c1829-1863), second son of William Oag and Margaret (nee Thomson) Oag, in 1853)"

NB Margaret Thomson a sister of your Louisa Thomson

flora
10-Mar-12, 22:25
So Sorry Ruth I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hi Tricia thank you for your reply. My Roderick Ross and Margaret Bain ( sorry married 1854 not '44)are on the FREcen census in '61,'71,'81 first in Wick then Halkirk and Westerdale, everything is consistant except their ages, Roderick is35 in '61 41 in '71 and 50 in '81, Margaret is 30 in '61 38 in '71 and48 in'81, I can't find a birth for Margaret nor can i find her on the '41 census, I think Roderick is in Forglen Banffshire age27 a Lodger occ' shepherd, born Clyne Sutherland, this as far as I have got back, as I said her Father Donald is said to be deceased when Margaret and Roderick marry in 1854, Their children on the '61 census are William age 10,John 5 Isabella3 and Infant ( Donald my line0 1mth all born Wick, between '61 and '71 they move to Halkirk, on all these census Roderick says he is a Gamekeeper, thank you so much for your help, Flora.

Oddquine
12-Mar-12, 21:27
That's the Benjamin Sutherland I thought it might be. On Donald's death certificate his address was given as Milton, Wick.....and in the 1861 census there is a Benjamin and Helen Sutherland at Hilton, Wick with the senior Benjamin being about the right age.

Got the death certificates..and John Sutherland (m Louisa Thomson), my Donald(m Margaret Bain) and Benjamin (m Helen Bain) look to be brothers with parents John Sutherland and Christina Bain. John died 15th July 1877 aged 91, Donald died January 24th 1861 aged 71 and Benjamin died 31st March 1878 aged 84.

Louisa must have died before 1855, as I can't find her in Statutory deaths or in the 1861 census.

ruthsutherland
16-Mar-12, 07:21
Thanks Tricia, been away for a week so just catching up with this thread. Finding all the info posted very interesting and a help in tracing family history. However I am most interested in knowing if any descendants of John and Louisa, or Dr Rae or John and Betty Oag still live in the Wick area. I would love to have the opportunity to meet them and find out exactly where the family was located while I'm there. I will only be in Wick for a day so wont have much time to source this info when I am there. If anyone has this info would be most grateful.