PDA

View Full Version : What a waste of money

golach
05-Mar-12, 10:57
Something else, our man Eck Salmond is keeping quiet about, a gift that is going to cost £600,000 a year, some gift!!

ADVERTISING watchdogs have ruled the Scottish Government misled the public by describing Edinburgh’s pandas as “a gift”.An advert in Scottish newspapers at the end of last year stated: “The Chinese are gifting two giant pandas to live in Scotland.”
But the Advertising Standards Authority will this week uphold a complaint by animal welfare campaigners who pointed out that Scotland will pay £600,000 a year for Yang Guang and Tian Tian.

pmcd
05-Mar-12, 11:09
Next up - a series of huge roadside billboards announcing proudly in Scottish, Gaelic and Norse "A Free Unicorn For Every 'Yes' Voter In Brigadoon!". A Politician's promise carries as much resonance as an angel's fart, and as much probity as Peter Mandelson's mortgage applications. Still, they like to pander (!) to the lowest common denominator - the nice Chinese (taking a break from executing political prisoners) have given us the ultimate cuddly toys, and it'll only cost us the wages of several nurses or teachers to keep 'em alive on imported bamboo shoots......

Corrie 3
05-Mar-12, 11:09
So if someone gifted you a brand new car Golach you would expect them to tax and insure it, put fuel in it and service it in the future for you would you? The Panda's were a gift in as much we didn't have to buy them outright but of course they will take some looking after in the future. Hence the cost.
I do believe they will be an asset to Scotland, will bring people into Edinburgh and hopefully further beyond!!!
They do seem to be very popular and I hear you have to book a viewing slot to see them due to the popularity.
£600,000 is nothing and will be more than recouped which is more than can be said for some strange projects thought up by previous parties!!

C3............:roll:;)

golach
05-Mar-12, 11:21
So if someone gifted you a brand new car Golach you would expect them to tax and insure it, put fuel in it and service it in the future for you would you? C3............:roll:;)
It would be pointless anyone "gifting" me a car...........I dont and cannot drive!!!
My point here is that Eck made a big issue of these so called "gifts" and how he helped in getting them here from China, he likes to blow smoke in the eyes of the public, but we are not all daft, and not all of us fall for his propaganda. That man will try to make himself look great at the expense of us, you may be fooled, I am not.

The £600,000 a year is not the running costs or taxation or insurance, its a figure that is being paid to the Chinese Government, Edinburgh Zoo is paying all the maintenance costs

Corrie 3
05-Mar-12, 11:29
It would be pointless anyone "gifting" me a car...........I dont and cannot drive!!!
My point here is that Eck made a big issue of these so called "gifts" and how he helped in getting them here from China, he likes to blow smoke in the eyes of the public, but we are not all daft, and not all of us fall for his propaganda. That man will try to make himself look great at the expense of us, you may be fooled, I am not.
Perhaps you have faith in someone else to lead this great country of ours Golach!!
I would love to know who that is!!!

C3................:roll:

golach
05-Mar-12, 11:31
Perhaps you have faith in someone else to lead this great country of ours Golach!!
I would love to know who that is!!!C3................:roll:

Well definately not Eck Salmond!!!!!

Gronnuck
05-Mar-12, 11:43
The point here is that Wee Eck exploited the chinese 'gift' for his own political ends and attempted to mislead the public. I have no objection to providing board and lodgings for a couple of cuddly but dangerous Pandas. Hopefully they will draw people into Edinburgh Zoo.
What I do object to is the lying and conniving by someone who wants/needs our trust and support to lead our country to independence. If he and his gang can use spin and veil the truth over a couple of bears what sort of chicanery will they use in the independence debate?
I don't trust Wee Eck as far as I could throw him.

Corrie 3
05-Mar-12, 14:20
Well definately not Eck Salmond!!!!!
Yes I have gathered that Golach......but just who would you like to see in charge if not Alex?

C3.............;)

ducati
05-Mar-12, 18:24
Yes I have gathered that Golach......but just who would you like to see in charge if not Alex?

C3.............;)

For me it depends. If you are looking for someone to lead Scotland into catastrophy ie the referendum then Alex is yer man everytime. For a more sensible approach I'd go for a proper Conservative.

golach
05-Mar-12, 19:51

C3.............;)

I will stick with the status quo, sic the Union, better the devil you know than Oor Eck!!!

Corrie 3
05-Mar-12, 20:06
I will stick with the status quo, sic the Union, better the devil you know than Oor Eck!!!
So you trust Cameron and Clegg? They have no passion for Scotland and don't give a fig what happens to it or it's people. I would chuck the pair of them in the cage with those Panda's, Alex can call it a gift from Corrie!!!!

C3...............:roll:;)

Baconbuttie
05-Mar-12, 23:44
And how much of our money is Eck giving to Aberdeen for their fancy gardens, Aberdeen voted for it, let them pay for it.

RecQuery
06-Mar-12, 10:05
Ah more of the same.

If I gift someone an electronic device then they have to pay for the electricity to power it, if I gift them some clothing then they have to spend money washing and drying it etc. It's a rather disingenuous argument from the same animal rights people that think keeping pets is slavery.

It probably is partly a bribe but then again that's how business has be done for ages. You can disapprove of something while not denying yourself an advantage everyone else is availing themselves of. I can post a 101 of these things from the Westminster government and that's just from the past 10 years. The unionist emperor has no clothes it seems.

George Brims
07-Mar-12, 09:49
Heck have a go Golach. Look around you. Half the people behind the wheel in Edinburgh can't either!

golach
07-Mar-12, 10:01
Heck have a go Golach. Look around you. Half the people behind the wheel in Edinburgh can't either!
Very true George, but why do I need to have a car in the city, with the bus company that has been voted the best in the country. I also have a free bus pass, ( issued by the Scottish Labour First minister ). And parking in Auld Reekie is horrendous, if I had a car in the street I live in I would have to pay to parking outside my own house, at the cost of £84 per year.

squidge
07-Mar-12, 10:33
Hmmm panda issue might be misleading but that stupid wifie who lied about patients having to share blankets when the hospital had already told them it wasnt true. They are all at it. So we are renting the pandas. The zoo should have a business case for the Pandas. We are planning a trip in the summer to see the Pandas specifically at the request of my 16 year old. Im sure there are others who like me are making trips to edinburgh and the zoo that they werent planning on doing.

golach
11-Apr-12, 10:04
The Advertising Standards Authority has upheld a complaint by animal welfare campaigners who pointed out that Scotland will pay £600,000 a year for Yang Guang and Tian Tian.
Wonder how much of our money has Mr Slamonds vanity cost us?

pmcd
11-Apr-12, 10:33
A lot less than an Edinburgh tram system, that expensive nest for the MSPs, or the metallic union of two parts of a pointless aircraft carrier built only to keep the Scots on side vis a vis the Willy Waving Contest known an Independence. Ye Gods, without the Union, Scotland could reach Greek economic status in months! Oh, sorry, I forgot the Buffoon of Brigadoon's economic formula for "pick 'n mix" economic success "We'll take on 8% of the National debt, and ask for 91% of the natural resources".

Why don't we give out everything for free, or maybe get the police force to answer calls relating to council activities? Combine the police and the medical services - SWAT Parapolice Medical teams, headed by Detective Chief Surgeons and Nurse Sergeants? Combine Universities and Colleges (nah, been done, worked well!) and give out mickey mouse educational qualifications as is not what employers is needing as they want employes what can rite, spel and count like what they did wen they just went to ornery vilage skols all those years ago before the Great Marxist Experiment which undid empiric learning to the detriment of meny future generations.

Hey - another quick thought - let's combine politicians and union leaders, and use their expulsion of miasmic aerial effluent to power the national grid, so we can get rid of those white elephant subsidised windmills, and the crazy situation of the poor taxpayer shelling out extra cash to a few billionaires.

Yes, you're right. It's a rant. It's full of holes, logically speaking. But by gum, I feel better! Have a happy day (between the showers). Now, if the Met Office were to join up with the Dustmen......

RecQuery
11-Apr-12, 10:37
A lot less than an Edinburgh tram system, that expensive nest for the MSPs, or the metallic union of two parts of a pointless aircraft carrier built only to keep the Scots on side vis a vis the Willy Waving Contest known an Independence. Ye Gods, without the Union, Scotland could reach Greek economic status in months! Oh, sorry, I forgot the Buffoon of Brigadoon's economic formula for "pick 'n mix" economic success "We'll take on 8% of the National debt, and ask for 91% of the natural resources".

Why don't we give out everything for free, or maybe get the police force to answer calls relating to council activities? Combine the police and the medical services - SWAT Parapolice Medical teams, headed by Detective Chief Surgeons and Nurse Sergeants? Combine Universities and Colleges (nah, been done, worked well!) and give out mickey mouse educational qualifications as is not what employers is needing as they want employes what can rite, spel and count like what they did wen they just went to ornery vilage skols all those years ago before the Great Marxist Experiment which undid empiric learning to the detriment of meny future generations.

Hey - another quick thought - let's combine politicians and union leaders, and use their expulsion of miasmic aerial effluent to power the national grid, so we can get rid of those white elephant subsidised windmills, and the crazy situation of the poor taxpayer shelling out extra cash to a few billionaires.

Yes, you're right. It's a rant. It's full of holes, logically speaking. But by gum, I feel better! Have a happy day (between the showers). Now, if the Met Office were to join up with the Dustmen......

I think you two should just kiss and get it over with.

Atom for peace
11-Apr-12, 12:04
Something else, our man Eck Salmond is keeping quiet about, a gift that is going to cost £600,000 a year, some gift!!

ADVERTISING watchdogs have ruled the Scottish Government misled the public by describing Edinburgh’s pandas as “a gift”.An advert in Scottish newspapers at the end of last year stated: “The Chinese are gifting two giant pandas to live in Scotland.”
But the Advertising Standards Authority will this week uphold a complaint by animal welfare campaigners who pointed out that Scotland will pay £600,000 a year for Yang Guang and Tian Tian.

How is 'Eck' keeping it quiet? We knew at the start that we had to pay for the pandas. Every panda outside of China is done the same way.

DeHaviLand
11-Apr-12, 16:07
How is 'Eck' keeping it quiet? We knew at the start that we had to pay for the pandas. Every panda outside of China is done the same way.

But, but, but, that wouldn't fit with Golachs agenda atom! Good god man (or woman), we'll have none of that sensible talk here, if you dont mind.

golach
11-Apr-12, 18:58

Thats the point, "We" all knew that there was a cost for the pandas, then Eck goes and runs an advert for the Scottish government, saying that the beasts were a "Gift". I would like to know how much that cost the Scottish People, thats what Eck is keeping quiet about. Well done the Advertising watchdog for exposing this travesty.

squidge
11-Apr-12, 22:41
Well I suppose you need something to be outraged about now the last carry on was shown to be a storm in a tea cup

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/first-minister-cleared-over-hospitality-bills.17260861

In addition there is a lot of chuntering about tax payers money being wasted. A bit of reseach shows that EDINBURGH ZOO is paying for the pandas. A bit more research shows that The zoo is funded by the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland and their income is derived from commercial enterprise and philanthropic donations. They do not receive any uk or scottish government funding. http://www.rzss.org.uk/support Therefore the taxpayer is NOT paying for the pandas!

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2012/4/The-Scottish-Government/SHP_ADJ_184767.aspx. - the advertising standards ruling.

Away ya go and find something else to be outraged at!

Corrie 3
12-Apr-12, 03:49
One day Golach will realise that the SNP is the only credible party to run Scotland and that Alex Salmond isn't the Monster that is attached to Golach's brain cell!!

C3..................:roll:;)

squidge
12-Apr-12, 23:33
Its gone awful quiet round here.

Fly
12-Apr-12, 23:37
One day Golach will realise that the SNP is the only credible party to run Scotland and that Alex Salmond isn't the Monster that is attached to Golach's brain cell!!

C3..................:roll:;)

Independence under king ecky the !st?? God help us because we will need it.

golach
13-Apr-12, 00:12
Independence under king ecky the !st?? God help us because we will need it.

Beware Fly, the pro Nasties will start insulting you and bad repping you, just because you disagree with them, they have done it to me already [lol]

ducati
13-Apr-12, 00:18
Its gone awful quiet round here.

Sounds like 1 minute after Independence, and dark too.

squidge
13-Apr-12, 08:10
Beware Fly, the pro Nasties will start insulting you and bad repping you, just because you disagree with them, they have done it to me already [lol]Oi!!!! I havent bad repped anyone! You cant lump us all together like you do with young drivers.

sk02rfo
13-Apr-12, 09:43
What you worried about a couple of pandas for? When the south of England has cost us the millennium dome,the olympics, the list i'm sure goes on and on and doubling the national debt due to over privileged nepotismly employed hooray henry's trying to make themselves a bundle, and now this government wants to pay teachers etc more in the south so that they can afford to live down there where clothing,travel,fuel,any entertainment is cheaper the only thing that is more expensive is their house which when finally paid supplies them with a tidy retirement fund subsidised by tax payer because the poor souls have to live in south of England