PDA

View Full Version : welfare benefit

vectus
04-Mar-12, 17:13
Hi, I am about to lose my job (end of contract) and wondered if anyone on here claimed housing and council tax benefit alone, without signing on or getting income support, is this possible? I have been in this situation before and would rather be poorer than deal with the shower at the job-centre.
Any advice please.

Alrock
04-Mar-12, 17:24
If you're entitled to benefit then claim it... Don't let the system win by intimidating you into not claiming what you're entitled to...

charlie
04-Mar-12, 19:51
Hi, I am about to lose my job (end of contract) and wondered if anyone on here claimed housing and council tax benefit alone, without signing on or getting income support, is this possible? I have been in this situation before and would rather be poorer than deal with the shower at the job-centre.
Any advice please.

Yes of course it IS possible - but I tend to agree with Alrock that you should claim your entitlement.

However that is your choice to make

You can download the claim forms from here (or get them from any Council Service Point) therefore avoiding the Job Centre
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/counciltax/benefits-housingandcounciltax/

You will have to prove your income (or lack of it) - which is obviously easier if you have signed on I am afraid.

HTH - Charlie

Big Gaz
06-Mar-12, 14:19
I unfortunately have just had to make a claim for both. Previously and due to the nature of the work i did and it being seasonal i dealt with the gestapo down south several times over the years and actually dreaded signing on and facing the barrage of questions and threats but up here in Wick when i signed on i felt comfortable, no hassle, lots of help and advice and i think the staff are genuinely trying to help you find work. Took over 5 weeks to sort the claim out mind you so was a wee bit worrying. The Council just asked for proof of savings, bank account statements for last two months, I.D., and a few signatures and was sorted in pretty much the same time so just go for it, better £130 a fortnight in your pocket than nothing. As for work around here, im hoping something comes along soon and had a few replies from enquiries asking me to try again when the spring comes in so heres hoping.

Kodiak
06-Mar-12, 16:47
Any advice please.

If you become Unemployed it is Very important that you claim Job Seekers Allowance.

Not only will it be easier to claim any Housing & Council Tax Benefit. It means that you will be given the correct credit for National Insurance.

If you are unemployed for some weeks or even months then if you are not claiming Job Seekers Allowance then later on if life and you retire you will not get a full pension as you will be short of National Insurance Contributions.

So if and when you lose your Job, do NOT hesitate. Go online and claim your Job Seekers Allowance ASAP.

Corrie 3
06-Mar-12, 17:42
Any advice please.
You are playing into the Tories hands if you don't claim jobseekers. They love nothing more than someone losing their job and that person not claiming. By not claiming you save the Govt money, you dont show up on the jobless figures which then makes them look good and has been said by Kodiak, you will not get your stamp paid and you will suffer later in life which again saves the Govt money!!
It's yours, it's your right.............. so go and claim it!!!

C3.............;)

theone
07-Mar-12, 00:54
You are playing into the Tories hands if you don't claim jobseekers. They love nothing more than someone losing their job and that person not claiming. By not claiming you save the Govt money, you dont show up on the jobless figures which then makes them look good

I can't believe you tried to turn this into an anti-tory debate.

I assume you are suggesting that a Labour/Liberal/Green/Nazi government would prefer you DO cost them money and show them doing a poor job?

This has NOTHING to do with political affiliations or party politics.

david
07-Mar-12, 19:46
You are playing into the Tories hands if you don't claim jobseekers. They love nothing more than someone losing their job and that person not claiming. By not claiming you save the Govt money, you dont show up on the jobless figures which then makes them look good and has been said by Kodiak, you will not get your stamp paid and you will suffer later in life which again saves the Govt money!!
It's yours, it's your right.............. so go and claim it!!!

C3.............;)

In my case, because I'm apparently too well off, I can't claim benefits despite 24 years NI. It would cost me more to get to Wick and back than what the stamp is worth, so I don't bother.

poppett
08-Mar-12, 09:54
You can sign on by post once the initial consultation and claim is set up. My nephew went down the road of not signing on as he stayed home to look after his family and mum. When his mum died and he only had his sons part time it took months to get housing benefit and DWP sorted out as he wasn`t on the radar having been out of work for eight years and never having claimed.

david
08-Mar-12, 12:10
You can sign on by post once the initial consultation and claim is set up. My nephew went down the road of not signing on as he stayed home to look after his family and mum. When his mum died and he only had his sons part time it took months to get housing benefit and DWP sorted out as he wasn`t on the radar having been out of work for eight years and never having claimed.

Well they told me I had to attend every fortnight to sign on for my NI stamp and be interviewed etc, even though I can't get jobseekers allowance or any other benefit.

Kodiak
08-Mar-12, 13:28
In my case, because I'm apparently too well off, I can't claim benefits despite 24 years NI. It would cost me more to get to Wick and back than what the stamp is worth, so I don't bother.

Who can claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)?
To get Jobseekers Allowance you must:

Be available, and actively looking for work
Be 18, but under State Pension age
Currently work less than 16 hours per week (on average)

The Options
There are 2 types of Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), these are contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance, and Income Based Jobseekers Allowance.

Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance You can receive this for up to 182 days. It is based on how much National Insurance you have paid in the last two tax years. The tax year starts on the 6th April and finishes on the 5th of April (12 months).

Income based Jobseekers Allowance This is based on your Income and Savings. You may get this if you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions (known as NICs), or you have only paid contributions for self-employment, and you're on a low income.

So if you have been told that you can not get JSA because you have too much money then this is incorrect for as long as you have sufficent Nat Ins Contributions then you are entitled to Contribution based Job Seekers Allowance for up to 182 Days.

Source :-

http://www.jobseekers-allowance.com/what-is-JSA.html

Kodiak
08-Mar-12, 13:39
You can also claim for JSA Online, here is a Link for Information.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_200090.html

david
08-Mar-12, 13:46
Who can claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)?
To get Jobseekers Allowance you must:

Be available, and actively looking for work
Be 18, but under State Pension age
Currently work less than 16 hours per week (on average)

The Options
There are 2 types of Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), these are contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance, and Income Based Jobseekers Allowance.

Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance You can receive this for up to 182 days. It is based on how much National Insurance you have paid in the last two tax years. The tax year starts on the 6th April and finishes on the 5th of April (12 months).

Income based Jobseekers Allowance This is based on your Income and Savings. You may get this if you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions (known as NICs), or you have only paid contributions for self-employment, and you're on a low income.

So if you have been told that you can not get JSA because you have too much money then this is incorrect for as long as you have sufficent Nat Ins Contributions then you are entitled to Contribution based Job Seekers Allowance for up to 182 Days.

Source :-

http://www.jobseekers-allowance.com/what-is-JSA.html

I can't claim anything because I have a private pension whick I paid into at 11% of salary for 21 years. In short I will never be able to claim any benefits.

david
08-Mar-12, 13:49
I can't claim anything because I have a private pension whick I paid into at 11% of salary for 21 years. In short I will never be able to claim any benefits.

Unlike immigrants who are entitled to benefits after a few months in the country.

david
08-Mar-12, 14:25

So it's like your home insurance company refusing a claim because you can afford to buy a new item.

golach
08-Mar-12, 14:28
Unlike immigrants who are entitled to benefits after a few months in the country.

I to earn too much to qualify for any benefits, but I do not mump my gums about less well off people who are entitled, regardless who they are, if they qualify according to the EU rules, then so be it.

Kodiak
08-Mar-12, 22:36

If you are of working age, that is 64 years or under, and you lose your Job for no fault of your own, you can claim Contribution Based JSA.

Since Contribution Based JSA is not means tested, having a pension is no restriction to getting Contribution Based JSA. You have a right to these benefit if you fit the eligibility criteria. It does not matter what other money or savings you have.

You can get this Benefit for 182 Days and then it would change to Income Based JSA which is means tested and having a Pension would effect this Benefit.

david
09-Mar-12, 11:32
If you are of working age, that is 64 years or under, and you lose your Job for no fault of your own, you can claim Contribution Based JSA.

Since Contribution Based JSA is not means tested, having a pension is no restriction to getting Contribution Based JSA. You have a right to these benefit if you fit the eligibility criteria. It does not matter what other money or savings you have.

You can get this Benefit for 182 Days and then it would change to Income Based JSA which is means tested and having a Pension would effect this Benefit.

No, that's wrong. The first £50 of private income is disregarded, after that it is reduced by a pound for pound basis which means I get zip! Won't be too long before the same applies to the state pension IMHO....

charlie
09-Mar-12, 11:49
"You can get this Benefit for 182 Days and then it would change to Income Based JSA which is means tested and having a Pension would effect this Benefit."

Kodiak is correct (assuming you have made contributions in the relevant year).
Contributions based JSA is not means tested.

David - have you actually made a claim for contributions based JSA ?

david
09-Mar-12, 12:41
"You can get this Benefit for 182 Days and then it would change to Income Based JSA which is means tested and having a Pension would effect this Benefit."

Kodiak is correct (assuming you have made contributions in the relevant year).
Contributions based JSA is not means tested.

David - have you actually made a claim for contributions based JSA ?

No, but I've checked it out and I'm entitled to zip and Kodiak appears to be wrong on the information I have researched.

charlie
09-Mar-12, 15:15
Suggest you make the claim then.
If you dont ask - you don't get :)

That way you would get the definitive answer - rather than rumour and 3rd party advice.
The CAB or Highland Council welfare benefits advisers should also be able to advise

You have nothing to lose.

Your call of course and good luck.

david
09-Mar-12, 15:46
Suggest you make the claim then.
If you dont ask - you don't get :)

That way you would get the definitive answer - rather than rumour and 3rd party advice.
The CAB or Highland Council welfare benefits advisers should also be able to advise

You have nothing to lose.

Your call of course and good luck.

Been there done it-zip! That's what you get for looking after yourself salary minus 11% for 21 years.

theone
10-Mar-12, 13:03
Won't be too long before the same applies to the state pension IMHO....

Too true. I won't be applying for the state pension for many years yet, but I'm pretty sure those with private pensions will get nothing by then.