PDA

View Full Version : 100 years old!

Swannie
04-Mar-12, 16:51
The Ross Institute in Halkirk will celebrate its 100th birthday on Tuesday 6 March 2012. The building was a gift to the inhabitants of Halkirk parish by Sir John Ross and was opened on 6 March 1912. To celebrate this momentous occasion Halkirk Village Council have arranged for a short display of fireworks and chinese lanterns on Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. This will take place around the Ross Institute and Riverside area. Hope to see you there.

Corrie 3
04-Mar-12, 17:55
Chinese Lanterns???
Thats not good thinking is it? They are a menace to wildlife and are known to have set fires to fields and buildings!!

Shame on whoever decided to have those to celebrate with!!!

C3............[disgust][disgust]

Jamboree
04-Mar-12, 23:35
Fireworks?? what's that about. What's wrong with a ceilidh or concert. Isn't there a field with horses just up the road? and all the poor dogs in the area. Crank up the radios ....again drown out the noise.

mi16
05-Mar-12, 17:58
Whats the matter with a card from the Queen like the rest of us?

John Little
05-Mar-12, 19:04
The Ross Institute in Halkirk will celebrate its 100th birthday on Tuesday 6 March 2012. The building was a gift to the inhabitants of Halkirk parish by Sir John Ross and was opened on 6 March 1912. To celebrate this momentous occasion Halkirk Village Council have arranged for a short display of fireworks and chinese lanterns on Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. This will take place around the Ross Institute and Riverside area. Hope to see you there.

Congratulations to the Ross Institute on its centenary. It's nice to see a council so aware and at the centre of a community that they are willing to organise a celebration of a major village institution. Such things bring the community together, get folk talking and give a chance for a place to feel good about itself. The village I used to live in never did anything so positive towards the life of the village, though there was a lot of talking.

Halkirk is a lovely place.

I hope you have a good evening and a lot of fun.

linedancer1
05-Mar-12, 21:43
Actually, they are having a centenary ball on Saturday night with buffet, so, no, its not just fireworks and chinese lanterns. Heavens above, some people are never happy!!!!!!!! Get a grip. If you haven't got anything else to do but moan, then do some voluntary work, that might put you in a better mood. Rant over.!!!!

Corrie 3
05-Mar-12, 22:15
Actually, they are having a centenary ball on Saturday night with buffet, so, no, its not just fireworks and chinese lanterns. Heavens above, some people are never happy!!!!!!!! Get a grip. If you haven't got anything else to do but moan, then do some voluntary work, that might put you in a better mood. Rant over.!!!!
OK, but lets just hope the Lanterns don't burn down anyone's house or farm and lets also hope that no one who attends goes home to a quivering pet after the fireworks!!

C3................[disgust]

Jamboree
05-Mar-12, 22:41

Then just stick with the "ball" no need for the rest really. I actually do a lot of voluntary work ! actually.

JSutherland
05-Mar-12, 22:44
I think its fantastic that halkirk acknowledge these things, some people have little to do than moan!!!

Corrie 3
07-Mar-12, 18:51
I think its fantastic that halkirk acknowledge these things, some people have little to do than moan!!!
You would moan if your property got burnt down by Chinese Lanterns or fireworks wouldn't you?
Some people are so selfish and all they think about is their own enjoyment without giving a thought to other people, their pets or their property...Shame on whoever organised this!!!
Enjoy the dance and the ball but was there any need to have the fireworks and Chinese Lanterns? I will answer that for you......NO, there wasn't!!!

C3...................[disgust][disgust]

Errogie
07-Mar-12, 19:58
At this time of the year and with the recent sleet and snow they may be lucky to even see the lanterns take off let alone set fire to property. And you forgot to mention the danger of shipping being lured onto rocks by confusing lights in the sky plus abortive searches for missing hill walkers on Morven and panicked livestock!

Attitudes can sometimes be split into those who like to create and improve and then those who instinctively pull down and try to destroy initiatives. Which side of the fence do you fall on?

Corrie 3
07-Mar-12, 20:28
Attitudes can sometimes be split into those who like to create and improve and then those who instinctively pull down and try to destroy initiatives. Which side of the fence do you fall on?
I like to create and improve..............but...................I think of others before I do anything that may harm or annoy!!!

C3............;)

JSutherland
07-Mar-12, 20:30
Well its over and done with now, so stop your moaning and gurning and go and pick on someone elses thread as you all have little to do!

Corrie 3
07-Mar-12, 20:58
Well its over and done with now, so stop your moaning and gurning and go and pick on someone elses thread as you all have little to do!
Yes, I can see you are the sort of person who doesn't give a stuff about anyone but yourself, wouldn't it have been ironic if a firework had burnt down the Ross Institute? I bet the Organisers had never thought of that happening had they?
I hope you all enjoyed your "fun"...I am not sure the animal life around you enjoyed it though!!!

C3..............[disgust][evil]

JSutherland
07-Mar-12, 21:24
Well we are still standing and so is the Ross institute! Actually I do give a stuff about others, and support halkirk all the way at least they try and keep e community spirit going! i also own animals, all I can say is thank god it only happens every 100 years! oh swannie I bet you you never started this thread. All I can say is corrie3 go and jump back in your hot tub! over and out!

Corrie 3
07-Mar-12, 21:42
Well we are still standing and so is the Ross institute! Actually I do give a stuff about others, and support halkirk all the way at least they try and keep e community spirit going! i also own animals, all I can say is thank god it only happens every 100 years! oh swannie I bet you you never started this thread. All I can say is corrie3 go and jump back in your hot tub! over and out!
Good for you!! I hope you got full satisfaction from the night!!
Don't get wrecked at the dance will you?..lol

C3..............:roll: