PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Caithness, looking for info on jobs

Bakeybadoo
04-Mar-12, 09:48
I'm a newbie so be gentle! ;)

My family (5 of my own) and 5 other members are moving to Caithness in June. I will be working and that's sorted but looking at options for my OH and would appreciate input from those with knowledge.

His occupation here is security guard/crime scene officer for the local police. I understand due to the location that this isn't an area with great demand but are there opportunities in that category and are there any local security companies that I could contact and send his cv? Are there any big stores who already use security guards and if so, provided by which company or is it in-house?

Scouring the job centre website and Yell.com isn't cutting it, I'm getting nowhere fast! :lol:

Tugmistress
04-Mar-12, 10:01
The only actual security company i know of up here is the one that are basically glorified ticket collectors for the ferry at scrabster. that is MPS and their head office is in Aberdeen. i don't know of any other places that have security guards as such but then again i am a bit of a hermit and don't go anywhere much so i could be wrong lol. hope you get some other ideas off other orgers.
btw welcome to the madness :)

Muppet1
04-Mar-12, 10:27
Theres advanced security (tesco) and g4s (job centre and a few other places). As for " glorified ticket collectors",they probably are but I wouldn't be insulting people if I ran a business in a small place like this.

annemarie482
04-Mar-12, 10:30
Tesco and homebase have security supplied by the same company, maybe someone here will know what they're called.
Subsea 7 at wester also have their own 24/7 security on their site.
Dounreay police also provide security at Dounreay which may be his best option consider his experience, although they are armed I believe they obviously get full training.
Hope that helps!

Welcome to our lovely org! x

colingel
04-Mar-12, 10:34
Although this is a small place you don't seem to know Paula then LOL
Paula tells it the way it is and I for one don't think she was insulting anyone just saying it the way it is and by the way she works beside them

Muppet1
04-Mar-12, 10:42
I'm to going to ruin this thread so all il say is yes I know her and yes I know where she works,outside,nothing to do with the staff inside.my friend left mps just recently and I'm sure if she sees this she would be offended

kerry9316
04-Mar-12, 11:10
CNC -The Police at Dounreay are recruiting but they are fully warranted Police Officers so it would involve all the training just like other Police and the addition of fire arms but they are looking so might be worth putting an application in, it would involve the initial training though which would mean being South for many weeks.
Good luck with the move and the job hunt!

Kodiak
04-Mar-12, 13:29
I'm to going to ruin this thread so all il say is yes I know her and yes I know where she works,outside,nothing to do with the staff inside.my friend left mps just recently and I'm sure if she sees this she would be offended

All I can say is that you a Very Clever indeed as you chose the perfect name for yourself when you joined Caithness.org.............MUPPET.

Oh and before I forget Bakeybadoo

http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

Muppet1
04-Mar-12, 14:17
Yes I have heard that from you before,I chose that username after seeing many of your posts Kodak and thinking what a muppet.As many know on here you will agree with tug no matter what is said,as someone has said quite often "sock puppet" much?

demac-artist
04-Mar-12, 14:58
try the airport in wick they will have security http://www.hial.co.uk/inverness-airport/ www.hial.co.uk

Might check these as they cover the NHS http://www.thecastlegroupscotland.com/

or these see if they do anything in the highlands http://region-scotland.opendi.co.uk/strathpeffer/769363.html

Wish yoiu luck with your move and settling in :)
Deanne

poppett
04-Mar-12, 15:55
Good luck with the move north, and welcome to the org.

Muppet...........I thought that was a term of endearment !! I had better stop calling my hubby that then......oops.

linnie612
04-Mar-12, 16:27
Tesco and homebase have security supplied by the same company, maybe someone here will know what they're called.

I think they are staffed by a company called Mitie - or at least they were.

Welcome to the Org Bakeybadoo and also welcome to Caithness!:)

nugget007
04-Mar-12, 16:31
make sure you have your SIA as you will not get ur job and good luck i moved here three months ago i have SIA still waiting

Tugmistress
04-Mar-12, 16:36
did you also know i worked at MPS too?

golach
04-Mar-12, 18:12
did you also know i worked at MPS too?

methinks Muppet1 has shot himself/herself in the foot [lol]

Jmck
04-Mar-12, 20:54
Lol okay if you say so.if you must know its being continued via pm but when was it you worked for them?and was it at Northlink?

Tugmistress
04-Mar-12, 21:14
it's not being continued via pm, i have sent a reply and thanked muppet for his/her concern.
are you asking me when it was and was it at northlink? if so then make yourself a little clearer please.

Corrie 3
04-Mar-12, 21:29
it's not being continued via pm, i have sent a reply and thanked muppet for his/her concern.
are you asking me when it was and was it at northlink? if so then make yourself a little clearer please.
Paula, Don't bite..........You obviously have one Muppet and one newly signed up Sock Puppet on your case for no reason at all! Let them show themselves to everyone on the .Org and people who are planning to move up here what idiots we have from time to time.
Don't give them any of your time or energy, they are just not worth it!!

C3................;)

Jmck
04-Mar-12, 23:10
I opened my account a while ago ( couple of weeks ago i think) so If you think I'm just agreeing with other people for the sake of it then so be it. I work at scrabster (granted not at Northlink) and as I'm sure you know all too well down there it doesn't take long for the guys to open their mouths. He told me about your post seeing as one of my nieces used to work for mps and that he's contacting you directly about the matter before it is brought up else where. Ive worked at the harbour for many a year and I cant recall you working at Northlink as security so I was just wondering if it was elsewhere but still with mps?

linnie612
04-Mar-12, 23:22
Lol okay if you say so.if you must know its being continued via pm but when was it you worked for them?and was it at Northlink?

I opened my account a while ago ( couple of weeks ago i think) so If you think I'm just agreeing with other people for the sake of it then so be it. I work at scrabster (granted not at Northlink) and as I'm sure you know all too well down there it doesn't take long for the guys to open their mouths. He told me about your post seeing as one of my nieces used to work for mps and that he's contacting you directly about the matter before it is brought up else where. Ive worked at the harbour for many a year and I cant recall you working at Northlink as security so I was just wondering if it was elsewhere but still with mps?

Seems a bit like chinese whispers;)

Southern-Gal
04-Mar-12, 23:31
make sure you have your SIA as you will not get ur job and good luck i moved here three months ago i have SIA still waiting

What is SIA please?

Tugmistress
04-Mar-12, 23:37

ok, so you know me but i don't know who you are.
fact, i moved up here and started working for northlink on the tugs in october 2002 when they took over from p&o when it was the heb isles doing the run. if you remember the sailings were different then to now as she berthed here overnight. when the hamnavoe came in to service in april 2003 our shifts were changed as she was then berthing in stromness overnight. i was rotad for holiday cover only so i left and worked for mps at scrabster until in june 2004 one of the lads left working the tugs and i went back full time to what i am still doing today. ....... and yes i know it doesn't take too long for anyone to jump to chinese whispers or malicious rumours down there as i think i had been in the county of caithness less than 24 hours before i was 'seeing to' one of my colleagues ....... ask the organ grinder to their face and not the monkey.
does that answer your question?

youoldduffer
04-Mar-12, 23:44
What is SIA please? Security Industry Authority

I think they are staffed by a company called Mitie - or at least they were.
Used to be mitie but now its Advance Security

Bakeybadoo
05-Mar-12, 12:36
Thank you to everyone that gave me a warm welcome and to those who gave me useful advice about where to start! Much appreciated.

As for the rest...I think I'll go sit back in my nice, quiet, spectator corner. :lol:

oldmarine
06-Mar-12, 23:02
As for the rest...I think I'll go sit back in my nice, quiet, spectator corner. :lol:

Wise choice.

Dadie
06-Mar-12, 23:57
WTF all you have to do is assure the prospective employers that you have passed the minimum security requirements beforehand and are a stable relible employee ...and sell yourself as best as you can!
Then wait ...as soon as you get one bite................and stick with it for so long other jobs come up!
Good luck!
Everyone knows everyone up here and one break will make it...or break it depending on the feedback!

david
07-Mar-12, 10:32
WTF all you have to do is assure the prospective employers that you have passed the minimum security requirements beforehand and are a stable relible employee ...and sell yourself as best as you can!
Then wait ...as soon as you get one bite................and stick with it for so long other jobs come up!
Good luck!
Everyone knows everyone up here and one break will make it...or break it depending on the feedback!

Everyone "thinks" they know everyone up here.

Dadie
07-Mar-12, 15:06
OH WTF=Whats the fuss!
Before the infraction!

Corrie 3
07-Mar-12, 16:00
OH WTF=Whats the fuss!
Before the infraction!
I thought it was "What the Flip" Dadie!!!

C3............:roll:;)