PDA

View Full Version : are prison sentence's to soft

Billy Boy
08-Nov-06, 13:51
in my opinion they are,life should mean that not 10 not 12 not 15,why sentence someone to life if it does not mean exactly that?time of for good behaviour,did there victim's get time of!
like last year a woman sentenced to 4 year's for culpable homicide,12 month's later she's out on day release 5 day's a week working in a factory and she will be free in 6 month's,that's 18 month's out of a 4 year sentence,what sort of message is that sending out?not a good one in my opinion it just mean's to me that the good old british justice system stink's[evil]

Dreadnought
08-Nov-06, 14:13
Without a doubt, YES.

henry20
08-Nov-06, 14:16
I agree - life should be Life!

dpw39
08-Nov-06, 15:20
Anybody can make a mistake in life, to make the same mistake twice, Wellll we're only human, but to make the same mistake 3 times.

Then
1. You haven't learnt your lesson;
2. You have a problem;
or
3. You are extracting the Michael.

I totally agree with you, there are some mistakes we can make as human-being's that can be drastic, and if you are found guilty of Murder, Rape, any Sex Crimes what-so-ever (especially against children or vulnerable adults) they should get that maximum sentence and serve the full term. irrelevant if you are an habitual criminal or not.

In some cases, the criminal is far beter off financially inside, than having to try and make a living on the outside. They don't pay community charge, get 3 square meals a day, no longer have to slop out, film shows once a week, some even have TV's in their cells. They can even go on to do Open University courses free of charge.

I say make prisons a place of fear, where if you've been there once, you don't want to go there in a hurry, besides we no longer have a detterent in life against crimes, sad as it may be.

Time does not change the crime.

Ciao,

Dreadnought
08-Nov-06, 15:28
I say make prisons a place of fear, where if you've been there once, you don't want to go there in a hurry...

I couldn't agree more.

Prisons should be nothing more than a 150ft high circular wall, with no roof. There should be nothing inside them but prisoners. Throw food over once a week.

danc1ngwitch
08-Nov-06, 15:31
I think that if they have taken a life then I am afraid that they should be well punished... And yes we can say wot about the prisoners families but wot about the victims families... They have tv's and radio's and they get fed real well... let them suffer wea out these things... Well the food ... hmmm give em porridge...I suppose it depends on the crime..

Gleber2
08-Nov-06, 15:42
Before we talk about sentencing we should address the legal system first. Too many people serving long sentences for crimes they did not commit. When we have a lie detector that is 100% accurate then we can talk about justice. Right now there is none.

Ricco
08-Nov-06, 17:20
I couldn't agree more.

Prisons should be nothing more than a 150ft high circular wall, with no roof. There should be nothing inside them but prisoners. Throw food over once a week.

Ah, me... I always knew you had a soft touch in you, Dreanought. Chuck food over once a week? I woulna' bother. ;)

Dreadnought
08-Nov-06, 17:24
Ah, me... I always knew you had a soft touch in you, Dreanought. Chuck food over once a week? I woulna' bother. ;)

By 'food' I mean out of date stuff from supermarket skips.

Hey! Where's my signature gone? Strange, its appearing intermittently, lol!

Ricco
08-Nov-06, 17:30
By 'food' I mean out of date stuff from supermarket skips.

That's more like it! I like your style! :D

canuck
08-Nov-06, 18:14

Signature appears only once on a page. I guess that it saves space.

Dreadnought
08-Nov-06, 18:45
Signature appears only once on a page. I guess that it saves space.

You have GOT to be kidding??!!! This place's rules get sillier by the minute!

dpw39
08-Nov-06, 18:53
Da da da da - beware, thought Police are on patrol at the moment, you mentioned a trigger word such as "Rules".

More smilies please...

Ciao,

dpw39 :cool:

scotsboy
08-Nov-06, 19:12
Are prison sentences too soft?

I suppose it depends on whether you have to serve them or not. Unless you have experienced a stretch at Her Majesties pleasure I am not sure you can comment. I had the misfortune to spend a night in a rat infested cell in Togoland – I can assure you it is not something I would like to repeat.

I am not sure, but I am sure that there are those on here that can clarify – but is the purpose of our penal system the rehabilitation of prisoners rather than punishment??

Dreadnought
08-Nov-06, 19:19
Unless you have experienced a stretch at Her Majesties pleasure I am not sure you can comment

People who commit crime have chosen to live outside of society and ignore society's rules. They have NO RIGHT to say how long their sentence should be.

And if anyone wants to argue 'human rights', criminals disregarded the human rights of their victims, so I say they deserve zero consideration when it comes to their own rights. Treat them like scum, beat them, starve them, refuse them medical treatment. Make them regret their crime so much they never commit crime again.

scotsboy
08-Nov-06, 19:28
What about individuals who chose to abide by society's rules and were fitted up or just innocent?

I wasn't actually intimating that prisoners should be canvassed opinion on whether sentences were soft or not, just trying to say unless you have experienced life inside it is difficult to say what is soft and what is not.

There are also many different types of crime, not everyone inside is a pedophile, terrorist or mass-murder. I would find it difficult justifying the summary beating of a pensioner who could not (or maybe would not) pay their council tax.

sam
08-Nov-06, 19:52
Maybe if our prisons were run more like the American boot camps it would serve as a better deterant to some of the offenders and would make them think twice about going back.
I believe that there are some criminals that are just evil to the core and nothing would or could stop them from re- offending.[disgust]
My sympathy lie's with the innocent person who is wrongly convicted and the victims of crime, especially the victims who havent seen the person who has commited a crime agianst them being brought to justice

golach
08-Nov-06, 20:16
I say we are too soft on our prisoners, hard labour should be the norm, but the goody two shoes that are in the EU say we cannot do that. I say if you cannot do the time dont do the crime

percy toboggan
08-Nov-06, 21:07
Three men snatch a fifteen year old - little more than a child,really - from a Glasgow street. They terrorise him stab him thirteen times and set him on fire, leaving him to die an agonising death. All sentenced to twenty odd year minimum terms for a 'racially agravated' murder. These sentences are far too light. It should have been forty years minimum. I just hope these fellows have a tough time in whatever Scottish nick they send 'em to.Maybe twenty years can seem like a lifetime.

One wonders what the old time Glasgow hard case villains would have made of this lot? Mincemeat perhaps.

Billy Boy
08-Nov-06, 21:28
Are prison sentences too soft?

I am not sure, but I am sure that there are those on here that can clarify – but is the purpose of our penal system the rehabilitation of prisoners rather than punishment??

isnt punishment part of the rehabillitation process?????:confused

sam
08-Nov-06, 22:32
Three men snatch a fifteen year old - little more than a child,really - from a Glasgow street. They terrorise him stab him thirteen times and set him on fire, leaving him to die an agonising death. All sentenced to twenty odd year minimum terms for a 'racially agravated' murder. These sentences are far too light. It should have been forty years minimum. I just hope these fellows have a tough time in whatever Scottish nick they send 'em to.Maybe twenty years can seem like a lifetime.

One wonders what the old time Glasgow hard case villains would have made of this lot? Mincemeat perhaps.

i agree with you percy the sentances they got was an insult to the boy's memory and his family, it brings tears to my eye's just thinking what that poor lad went through.
what they did to him was beyond evil:~(

oceangirl
11-Nov-06, 00:28
I have to say I do believe prison sentences are far too soft in the UK. Did anyone watch the Panorama documentory which was Tuesday evening pretty late? It was a bout an investigator going under cover in probation hostels in Bristol.

It documented various criminals - pedophiles, sex offender, rapists, murderers etc. They had been resleased from prison early and were supposed to be under 'supervision' although they were not tagged in anyway. It was a complete joke. For a start the hostels were in various residential araes where normal hard working familes with children lived. A peodophile was filmed hanging around a block of flats befriending kids on various occasions and taking photos of them! This was completrly and utterly insane. Imagine it could so easliy be your own kids!!

A guy who murdered his wife was staying tn one of these hostels and continued on to kill 2 other woman! Most were drug dependant and were filmed out on the streets supposedly 'supervised;, stealing and pimping to get money to feed their daily habit of heroin addiction.

There are too many evil people in our country and we do not have the space or money send them to jail to 'do their time'. I feel if the death penalty for some of these evil people should be installed. That way there will be more space to imprision criminals who may learn a lesson and change their way of life and get rid of the scum that causes so many people pain and loss through their evil crimes.

David from Stockport
11-Nov-06, 01:08
The whole of the UK justice system needs sorting out ,the whole thing is a joke, we need to change the lot .People who go to prison have usualy commited multiple offences before being sent down. With the advent of dna fingerprinting the chances of false conviction is vastly reduced , there are some truely evil scum out there. If you get 5 years you should do five years and if you behave yourself then you get out after 5 years but if you arnt good then they add on time ,also before they are released you should drug test them and if positive you dont get released until you ve been clean for say 3 months as if they are still on drugs they are only going to reoffend as soon as they are out. Another thing i d stop is legel aid for life there should be a limit of say 3 times you can use it -if you want to be a career criminal you should have to pay for your own defence or defend yourself. The only comfort id give them in prison is single cells with a toilet and shower in - this is not for there benifit but for that of the prison staff so they dont have urine thrown at them and dont have to smell the great unwashed . Visits from family should be behind screens so no touching, i dont have much sympathy for the crims wife if yer hubby is out breaking into houses and they are happy to live with someone low enough to do that and share the booty well they deserve what they get.

JAWS
11-Nov-06, 02:01
Yet another one today. The murdered student going home from University.

He was on the Platform of a Railway Station near a Thug and his girlfriend. Thug had recently finished his Prison Sentence for Burglary. Girlfriend mentioned something about Tea. Thug says he will "rob" something. Student glances at them, nothing more, just looks and then looks away.

They all board the train where the Thug starts to search the train from end to end in search of Student. Finds him and stabs him in heart, killing him.

The Railway Staff are unable to save the lad but manage to secure the Thug in a carriage whereupon he goes ballistic, terrifying the Railway Staff in the process. He later made his escape when the train stopped.

Sentence? Life, minimum term a mere 21 years.

There but for the Grace of God go you or me. All the Student did wrong was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and glance at a Thug. That Student could have been anybody.

What makes it worse in my mind is that the Trial Judge had a relative who, many years ago was also a Judge. He was shot to death on his own doorstep by a convict he had previously sentenced and was seeking revenge.

What concerns me is that in both this case and the one in Glasgow the victims were murdered simply for being there.
With most murders there is some sort of background leading up to them, in both these cases the victims had no connection with the murderers in any way, the act was simply carried out for it's own sake.
In such cases Life should mean Life.