PDA

View Full Version : Old Norse Road Signs : Piffle : Jobs for the Boys

rob murray
02-Mar-12, 18:15
In JOG today, 2 SNP types advocating road signs in Old Norse...promoting norse heritage....what piffle... keep them all in English, by the way we are not a gaelic culture and never were..Norse connections...over a millenium ago..and in case they dont know, we were invaded by the Norsemen who slaughtered many of the original Caithness inhabitants...why glorify a violent invasion...come on !!!

Keep the damn things in English and dont split hairs trying to land a slab of gaelic heritage money as this is all this is about :jobs for thje boys.... Norse Heritage Manager...Norse Exchange Manager...Norse Tour Guides...Norse Heritage Culture Trans Continental Manager...Norse Heritage HR manager....Norse Heritage Quality manager

Do I make my point lol lol lol

Corrie 3
02-Mar-12, 18:21

Err!...in a word...............NO !

Be a bit more specific will you Rob?

C3.................:roll::roll:

parkie
02-Mar-12, 18:28
well said rob,waste more money

Mystical Potato Head
02-Mar-12, 19:15
In JOG today, 2 SNP types advocating road signs in Old Norse...promoting norse heritage....what piffle... keep them all in English, by the way we are not a gaelic culture and never were..Norse connections...over a millenium ago..and in case they dont know, we were invaded by the Norsemen who slaughtered many of the original Caithness inhabitants...why glorify a violent invasion...come on !!!

Keep the damn things in English and dont split hairs trying to land a slab of gaelic heritage money as this is all this is about :jobs for thje boys.... Norse Heritage Manager...Norse Exchange Manager...Norse Tour Guides...Norse Heritage Culture Trans Continental Manager...Norse Heritage HR manager....Norse Heritage Quality manager

The Norn language only died out in the 18th century so its certainly more relevant to the recent history of Caithness and the North Isles than gaelic.
Probably over half the place names in the county have Norse meanings or connections anyway so no point putting up a norse sign for a place that is already
a Norse name or some derivative of it. Wick would be Vik which is better than calling it Inbhir Ùige or whatever it is in gaelic.
Thats also another reason for not putting up gaelic signs :lol: as well as it being a waste of money.

golach
02-Mar-12, 19:53
well said rob murray

Torvaig
02-Mar-12, 19:55
The best reason of all for not having dual language signs is the confusion is causes to those who are not so quick thinking and end up wondering where they are!

Plain English everywhere please; there are plenty opportunities to practise our language skills in safer environments than whilst driving.

Errogie
02-Mar-12, 22:29
Perhaps I've a minority view but I really enjoy names and terminology which are clearly not boring old English. Welsh Wales is a delight to drive through with their different road signage. I feel sorrry for the poor drivers who cannot cope with unfamiliar signs, perhaps they should stay at home or simply set their satnavs to take them through the challengiing confusion.

I suspect that the norse genetic fingerprint on Caithness is probably as strong as it was revealed to be in the Western Isles so why shouldn't the present population recognise it some way. The other reality is that the inflexibility of local government budgets doesn't give you more money to spend on say, roads if you turn down an offer for signs from the gaelic budget.

Fly
03-Mar-12, 00:02
Many of the place names in Caithness especially round the coast are so obviously derived from Norse that it is not really necessary to translate them into that language. To make up a Gaelic name for a place which never had one before is more than ridiculous.

However if there is nothing done about the state of the roads soon, it won't matter what the signs say as there will be no-one there to see them.

Kenn
03-Mar-12, 00:16
Good point fly...every one will de disapearing into the pot holes!

secrets in symmetry
03-Mar-12, 15:44
In JOG today, 2 SNP types advocating road signs in Old Norse...promoting norse heritage....what piffle... Oi! Less of the "SNP types" please!

I'd happily debate anything with gorgeous Gail - even her nutty proposal for road signs in Norn lol!

smithp
03-Mar-12, 19:59
Looking at the tourist plates that visit here German or Dutch would be better on the signs. Perhaps you could take all the signs down and then tourists would get lost and go round and round Caithness, rather than bombing through it on their way to Orkney or Sutherland. People that advocate changes to roadsigns need to take a harder look at what will make Caithness prosper. Cultural identitys a fine thing but you can not spend it.

Restlessnative
03-Mar-12, 22:23
Sorry I don't agree with the original post, If the Vikings killed off most of the original Caithness folks does that not make us the Vikings descendent eg Norse?

Also Norway is just over the water, It's one of the richest countries in the world, should we not be trying to keep in with them????

Caithness was signed back to Scotland at the same time as Orkney and Shetland, both of these push there Norse heritage and there's no problem from Scottish government.

Norse signs would be great.

annemarie482
04-Mar-12, 01:11
what a load of fuss and crap about road signs......

leave them as they are to do something thats actually of use or benefit to.......well anyone really!!!

there are way more needy causes than replacing signs that already fit purpose.
(ie the pot holes inside pot holes! etc etc)

waste of time, thought, money and effort (if you ask me lol)

rob murray
04-Mar-12, 19:33
Err!...in a word...............NO !

Be a bit more specific will you Rob?

C3.................:roll::roll:

I thought it was obviously, not to you but obvious to others...can I be more specific in a word no

catran
04-Mar-12, 22:24
Well said, what a dose of codswallop, jobs for the boys.