PDA

View Full Version : Diamond jubilee

Codwallop
02-Mar-12, 13:49
Does anyone know of any plans to celebrate the diamond jubilee of Queen Elizabeth the First in Thurso

Kodiak
02-Mar-12, 16:46
Does anyone know of any plans to celebrate the diamond jubilee of Queen Elizabeth the First in Thurso

I think you will find that Quenn Elizabeth the first died on 24th March 1603 and reigned for only 44 years and 127 days.

I presume you are talking about our present Queen, Queen Elizabeth II. No I have not heard of anything being done to celebrate her 60th Year on the Throne.

pat
02-Mar-12, 16:51
This is Queen Elizabeth 1 of Scotland - our present queen.

Please check your history books Kodiak

Check the difference on your local postbox - in Scotland it says ER not ER11 as in England.

Alrock
02-Mar-12, 17:45
I would also like details of any plans so that I know when & where to avoid....

Kodiak
02-Mar-12, 18:08
This is Queen Elizabeth 1 of Scotland - our present queen.

Please check your history books Kodiak

Check the difference on your local postbox - in Scotland it says ER not ER11 as in England.

AHHH NO. If it was the Very First Queen Elizabeth then she would be called Just Queen Elizabeth. You can not be called Queen Elizabeth the First until there has been a Queen Elizabeth the Srcond. So since the OP asked about Queen Elizabeth the First I was correct in my answer.

Corrie 3
02-Mar-12, 18:23
I just dont fancy eating bread and jam in the streets....Just let it pass is what I say!!

C3..............:eek::roll:;)

Kodiak
02-Mar-12, 18:35
I just dont fancy eating bread and jam in the streets....Just let it pass is what I say!!

C3..............:eek::roll:;)

I agree with you on this......Let is pass quietly.

Codwallop
02-Mar-12, 19:49
AHHH NO. If it was the Very First Queen Elizabeth then she would be called Just Queen Elizabeth. You can not be called Queen Elizabeth the First until there has been a Queen Elizabeth the Srcond. So since the OP asked about Queen Elizabeth the First I was correct in my answer.
Following this logic the present monarch should just be called Queen Elizabeth as there has been no other monarch called Elizabeth in Scotland

Alrock
02-Mar-12, 20:03
Following this logic the present monarch should just be called Queen Elizabeth as there has been no other monarch called Elizabeth in Scotland

Logic & Monarchy are totally incompatible since there is no logical reason for the Monarchy even existing in these enlightened days.....

Gronnuck
02-Mar-12, 20:16
Logic & Monarchy are totally incompatible since there is no logical reason for the Monarchy even existing in these enlightened days.....

Can we assume then you would want a politically bent biased president then? Like Nicolas Sarkozy, Silvio Berlusconi or even Robert Mugabe!
Nah pound for pound (or Euro for Euro if you prefer) I'll settle for a monarchy since they're here for the long haul and aren't likely to fill their Swiss bank account and do a runner.

golach
02-Mar-12, 20:38
Can we assume then you would want a politically bent biased president then? Like Nicolas Sarkozy, Silvio Berlusconi or even Robert Mugabe!
Nah pound for pound (or Euro for Euro if you prefer) I'll settle for a monarchy since they're here for the long haul and aren't likely to fill their Swiss bank account and do a runner.
Surely you meant Eck Mugabe, how much is Rupert Murdoch lining his pockets as we speak?

Torvaig
02-Mar-12, 20:44

Aren't you glad you asked! :)

Corrie 3
02-Mar-12, 21:15
Surely you meant Eck Mugabe, how much is Rupert Murdoch lining his pockets as we speak?

I heard it was 150,000 Zimbabwean dollars.............About 2/6p in old English money!!!!

C3................:roll::roll:;)

eriba47
02-Mar-12, 21:40
The Queen has spent her life attending all sorts of busy public events, and having to endure the grovelling sycophants that she meets there. Surely in her diamond jubilee year we should give the woman some peace instead of making a fuss.

Alrock
02-Mar-12, 21:46

OK... The current Queen might be good at staying out of politics but I can't see the next King Charles being quite so neutral & there will be nothing we can do about it. At least with an elected President (or whatever we decide to call the job) we can get rid of them....

Besides... That's not the point anyway... It's a matter of principle... Why should anyone hold such a position of power over us all for no other reason than that they where born into a particular family, a family that only got to that position (of power & extreme wealth) because of some rather dubious history involving conquest & murder.