PDA

View Full Version : St Andrew's Day events unveiled

Kingetter
08-Nov-06, 09:27
Plans have been unveiled for the "biggest ever" celebration of St Andrew's Day. Celebrations involving thousands of people will be held in the centre of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness and Stirling, the Scottish Executive said. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6126828.stmSo, will St Andrew's Day, November 30th, be noted or even noticed in Caithness?Are folk in favour of it becoming a National Holiday?How would we mark it here on the Org?

Gogglebox
08-Nov-06, 12:56
Ok todays history lesson!!
(the things you didnt know you didnt know!!)

http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/adversaries/bios/scot_pict/andrew.html
St. Andrew the Apostle
(Died AD 60)
The national flag of Scotland is the Cross of St. Andrew, a white diagonal (X-shaped) cross on a blue background. By having its own patron saint and its own flag, Scotland can assert its pride in its independence from England, though an integral and proud part of the United Kingdom. St. Andrew was one of the original Twelve Apostles and a brother to St. Peter, both former fisherman called to follow Christ. He is the patron saint of Greece as well as Scotland. In early Byzantine tradition, he is known as "first called." St. Andrew is reputed to travelled with St. John the Evangelist to Ephesus and later preached in Scythia. He is said to have been crucified on an X-shaped Cross at Patras in Archaia. His feast day is celebrated on 30th November.

There are two reasons why Andrew was adopted as the patron saint of Scotland. One is that, in AD 345, when the Emperor, Constantine the Great, decided to translate Andrew's bones from Patras to Constantinople, St. Regulus (or St. Rule), a Greek monk, was instructed by an angel to take a large number of these relics to a place in the far northwest. He was told to stop at a site on the Fife coast of Scotland, where he founded the settlement of St. Andrew. The other explanation is that the seventh century Bishop of Hexham, St. Wilfrid (some sources give Acca as the bishop) brought back some of the saint's relics from a trip to Rome and they landed in the hands of the Scots King, Angus MacFergus, who installed them at St. Andrew's to enhance the prestige of the new bishopric.One legend concerning St. Andrew is that when the Pictish King Angus, faced with a large invading army, prayed for divine guidance, a saltire (the diagonal cross) appeared in the shape of a white cloud against the blue sky. Angus won a decisive victory and decreed that Andrew would be the patron saint of his country. It was not until after Robert Bruce's victory at the Battle of Bannockburn (1314) however, that the Declaration of Arbroath named St. Andrew the patron saint of Scotland forever and the Saltire became the national flag in 1385.

Kingetter
09-Nov-06, 02:29
One person replies, though am still looking for answers to the questions I asked in the first message. Seems by the response, naebody cares at a'.
Does this indicate that there's Caithness and then Scotland?

JAWS
09-Nov-06, 04:00
Kaitness, part of the Scots Land? I always thought that was the area between Inverness and Carlisle that nobody else wanted!

It's time we had a Caithness Day and preferably at a decent time of year when the weather is less inclement.
Why not have a "St. Gilbert of Caithness’ Day" which, I believe, would fall on April 1st.

Sounds a much better option to me than having yet another Holiday just before Christmas and Hogmanay. Besides, it would be warmer too.

Malcolmdog
09-Nov-06, 04:14
One person replies, though am still looking for answers to the questions I asked in the first message. Seems by the response, naebody cares at a'.
Does this indicate that there's Caithness and then Scotland?

It would seem so.

I can't answer for the Caithness people, but I think that it would be very appropriate here in Canada to add St. Andrews as a Holiday. Other cultures have claimed their special days and have added to the uniqueness of our Canadian lifestyle, enriching us.

Those of Scottish /Canadian ancestry, mark St. Andrew's night with a large Ball and Banquet in the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. Americans and Canadians mingle to eat, drink and generally toast all that is Scottish.

The women wear ball gowns and sashes and the men are kitted up proper,in kilts. We practice for months prior, the steps to the various Scottish Country Dance Steps.

The Pipe Bands play in one ball room and at the other end of the Royal York hotel, the traditional bands play. I think someone mentioned that in all, we number 1,000 people on that night.

We are very proud to celebrate the symbols of our heritage, the music, the food and yes, even the patron saints!!!

I feel a need to send a petition to Stephen Harper, our PM.!!!

Kingetter
09-Nov-06, 04:18
What constantly bugs me is that there's always a big fuss for St Patrick's Day, even here in Scotland but St Andrew takes a 'back seat' by comparison.

Bakerbhoy
09-Nov-06, 13:03
Seeing as I share my birthday with our Patron Saint, I always celebrate St Andrews day.

Should have a public holiday or something to mark the occasion.

Kingetter
09-Nov-06, 13:09
Seeing as I share my birthday with our Patron Saint, I always celebrate St Andrews day.

Should have a public holiday or something to mark the occasion.

Sure, why not?