PDA

View Full Version : Moving Cows!

mostlyharmless
07-Nov-06, 23:43
In a beautiful rural area such as this I take it as one of the natural agricultural sights this time of year, to see cows being brought in along roads or walkways to there winter quarters.
What does annoy me is the number of people shaking there heads from there car seats or barging past making things more hazardous and difficult for the farmers. What do these people expect? Maybe traffic lights or some cones to organise things more fully ?!

These may be the same people of course that live in a rural area surrounded by farm animals who take away their front gate and fence[ so they can appear to part own the council land in front of them ] and then complain when sheep or cows or deer for that matter dare to go on there land!!

What a liberty............

Kenn
08-Nov-06, 02:09
Like you I am amazed at the antics of motorists when stock is being moved.
Surely there can not be any thing that pressing that you cannot pull to the side of the road and wait for a few minutes for the sheep / cattle to pass?
When it comes to equestrians then it is even more essential that you give rider and mount the chance to pass without startling the animal.
I think it is what is known as common courtesy but saddly that seems to be lacking in this "I'm king of the road," society.

mostlyharmless
08-Nov-06, 13:22
I agree this summer fortunately we were walking our horses and someone came behind us and beeped her horn!! Lovely.
Some bus drivers expect you to somehow disappear if they get close enough to you too...
Where are the speed limits on some of our roads?

crashbandicoot1979
08-Nov-06, 16:44
Some people are so ignorant. Its sheer impatience, nothing more. We got stuck behind cattle for about 20 minutes on Sunday - there were only 3 cars but we all just sat at a slow pace and waited for the cows to get where they were going. Whats the point in beeping? It isn't going to make them move any faster! We wouldn't have gone for a drive in the country at this time of year if we were bothered about it. And I've noticed that a lot of motorists have very little respect for horse riders - they obviously don't have any consideration of the consequences of what would happen if they were to startle the horse. Its pathetic.

brandy
08-Nov-06, 21:53
the kids love it.. when we get stopped with cattle.. they can sit and look at them for ages.. they are all ways mooing or baaing.. *Grins*

Saxo01
08-Nov-06, 22:15
maybe the cows should use there horns & beep back :lol: sorry its a way of life here never a problem

melted_wellie
09-Nov-06, 12:13
i dont mind the cows, its the farmers i dont like, they should be made responsible for clearing up the mess the said cows leave behind, not to mention the mud they drag out on the road with their tractors, also spilling red diesel all over the place. Also the lack of yellow beacon,trailer lights,indicators and overall road craft. Its a death trap for the more vulnerable road user,ie motorcycles. So its a 2 finger salute to farmer Giles from me im afraid.

Cattach
09-Nov-06, 14:09
i dont mind the cows, its the farmers i dont like, they should be made responsible for clearing up the mess the said cows leave behind, not to mention the mud they drag out on the road with their tractors, also spilling red diesel all over the place. Also the lack of yellow beacon,trailer lights,indicators and overall road craft. Its a death trap for the more vulnerable road user,ie motorcycles. So its a 2 finger salute to farmer Giles from me im afraid.

Good to see someone at last with the courage to tell it as it is. No problem with the animals but, as stated, all the other issues are exactly correct. Met two tractotrs last night in the dark and they had totally useless lights and no indicators. Where are the police when those people are on the road.

mostlyharmless
09-Nov-06, 16:05
The police are probably in the same place as they are when drivers beep cars behind horses .
Not sure about courage bit, but I agree if they leave mud everywhere without attempting to clear it up its not on...of course I wonder if other motorists would allow them the time to clear it up?
However I would expect some muck around in the country I don't mind washing the car now and then..

linnepinne
09-Nov-06, 16:27
im new to the area and my daughter is 8 and has never seen cows or any cattle before we moved here and see loves cows and when we go to thurso see will watch out the window just so she can see all the cows and cattle on the way and she has now started collecting cows as well :D

r.rackstraw
09-Nov-06, 23:14
mostlyharmless
Your comments are spot on!
We have to move cattle on the road from time to time - most motorists are fine but the odd one is impatient and it can create havoc if they try to force their way through.
People who expect manicured lawns right up to the road edge are also a real pain.
If people want to live in the country they should be more tolerant of country ways. And that includes dung on the road!

melted_wellie
10-Nov-06, 00:22
mostlyharmless
Your comments are spot on!
We have to move cattle on the road from time to time - most motorists are fine but the odd one is impatient and it can create havoc if they try to force their way through.
People who expect manicured lawns right up to the road edge are also a real pain.
If people want to live in the country they should be more tolerant of country ways. And that includes dung on the road!That comment is made out of ignorance, i for one dont live in the country but unfortunately have to use the roads that link up all the wonderful towns and cities. I expect them to be safe and free of obstacles such as dung. Or is that too much to ask.

mostlyharmless
10-Nov-06, 14:04
Sorry my ignorance?
I drive a car....yes.
I live in the countryside and have done for many years...yes.
I lived in a city for many years... yes.
Have seen cars drive too fast too close too ignorantly to be safe..yes.
I have helped move animals myself ..yes.
Have seen the mess they make and slowed down appropriately..yes

[always a good idea not to go like the clappers through the country just because there are no speed cameras,pedestrians,houses,shops,police etc use your common sense]

and sorry you don't live in the countryside?...I rest my case

tip top
10-Nov-06, 15:29
I have lived in the country all my life and would never think of tooting my horn or gesticulating at farmers who are moving their animals...as has been said previously, its part of rural charm.

However, I do have a problem with the way roads are left by some farmers going in and out of fields with tractors.

Horse riders should also have to "Scoop the Poop" or face prosecution

melted_wellie
11-Nov-06, 01:35
Sorry my ignorance?
I drive a car....yes.
I live in the countryside and have done for many years...yes.
I lived in a city for many years... yes.
Have seen cars drive too fast too close too ignorantly to be safe..yes.
I have helped move animals myself ..yes.
Have seen the mess they make and slowed down appropriately..yes

[always a good idea not to go like the clappers through the country just because there are no speed cameras,pedestrians,houses,shops,police etc use your common sense]

and sorry you don't live in the countryside?...I rest my caseits great that you have 4 wheels. i and others only have 2, so what appears to be just a pile of dung to you, is a potential killer to me. so again, is it too much to ask that the farmers keep the road clear of the debris.

badger
11-Nov-06, 20:15
Replaced my car a few years ago with a nice shiny clean, although not new, one and drove home feeling quite smart for once. Nearly there and on the main road came up behind cars waiting for cows to move. Cars also waiting from the other direction. Cows safely in field we all move off and - splat, somebody drives a bit too fast straight through it and my nice shiny car was covered. I've never seen anything like it - windscreen, roof, front, sides, even the back. Took me ages to get it all off as it was nearly dry when I got home. Kids thought it was terribly funny.

Think it must have been an omen because I soon discovered it wasn't suitable for what I needed so had to change it again. Love my present car and the only unmentionable it's ever had is from birds.

danc1ngwitch
11-Nov-06, 21:30
Farm boyz, Farm boyz, Farm boyz, who u gonna call?
Who u gonna call when they spread dung on all?
U look ta the left, u look ta the right,
But sprung from a field what a big mucky sight.

The stench is too much, brings u ta ur knees,
hallucination sets in and cows swing from tree's.
They drive the same speed thro country and town,
The sign says 30 but they danna slow down.

Farm boyz, Farm boyz, Farm boyz, take a hint please,
I danna like the look oh cows swingin from tree's.
When ur speed is 40 and u come to town,
Look ahead a sign sayin 30 so please slow down.[lol]

danc1ngwitch
11-Nov-06, 21:33
I'm shocked who wrote that crap ..lol [lol] ( no harm intended )

groatsgirl
12-Nov-06, 12:29
Well said Mostlyharmless !!! The majority of mud on the roads is caused by farm vehicles Not cows ,horses etc !! Cant u give the farmers a break ,after the work is done in which ever field they r working on the majority clean up the roads !! what do u expect them to do brush the road every time they leave the field !! They work long enough hours as it is . Give u something to moan about then when theres only veg on your plate !! There is one solution SLOW DOWN !! Also if u dont want animals in your garden take it upon yourself to make sure your fencing is adequate , instead of standing there shaking your heads, after all it is the country animals have to be moved and do some times take it upon themselves to find new grass !!

groatsgirl
12-Nov-06, 12:53
While im on the subject of animals on the road , I take my hat off to most motorists who give us horse riders consideration by giving us a wide birth, but to those who dont and insist on passing us at 60 mph or pulling up behind trying to force us over and any other unexceptable behaviour , WATCH OUT !!! after being in contact with the police and they informed me that it is a very serious offence not to give way to a horse & rider , and anyone not doing so should be reported and they will be delt with by the police !!! So to all u horse riders make sure u have a pencil & pad handy !!!!

mwg
12-Nov-06, 22:01
you folk should all remember where your food comes from before it gets to tesco's shelf!!!!

mostlyharmless
12-Nov-06, 23:48
Quite right with fuel becoming more expensive you may one day be happy to have a dirty old cow or annoyingly slow horse.
Too much muck is dangerous at times but don't expect the farmer to go round with a hoover up a cows backside.
Sometimes it seems like some expect cows and horses to disappear like a pop up on a screen, as if they are unreal, sorry its real muck, real horses, real mud, real hazards, take good care I'm afraid its not a sanitised virtual world.

weedom
12-Nov-06, 23:55
A horse owner once told me that a horse can jump 15 feet sideways, if given enough of a fright.

I'm a fast (within the confines of the law, naturally) and confident (maybe over confident?) driver, but I don't rely on the fact that a horse will think about which way to jump. I drop the speed down so that I'm in low revs in second gear, third if it's a very wide road, long, long before I get to the horse.

I'm allergic to hooves landing on my head through my windscreen. It brings me out in hives.;)

And as for tooting at cows/sheep to get out of the road... erm, hello? Do these drivers really think that the cattle will look behind themselves and go "Oops, sorry!" and either move over or go faster? Also, cows probably weigh as much as a car... I've got a lot of respect for an animal that size. You take your time, Daisy!

melted_wellie
13-Nov-06, 00:04
While im on the subject of animals on the road , I take my hat off to most motorists who give us horse riders consideration by giving us a wide birth, but to those who dont and insist on passing us at 60 mph or pulling up behind trying to force us over and any other unexceptable behaviour , WATCH OUT !!! after being in contact with the police and they informed me that it is a very serious offence not to give way to a horse & rider , and anyone not doing so should be reported and they will be delt with by the police !!! So to all u horse riders make sure u have a pencil & pad handy !!!!
on the same note, how often do you stop to pick up your horses droppings???

mostlyharmless
13-Nov-06, 01:48
hahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahaha.................. is this for cow movers too!
Yes of course a big plastic bag waving around in the wind to pick up those offensive poo's, and imagine all those kind people waiting behind patiently in cars as I bend down to scoop it up.Then back again bag flapping poo flying around my saddle ...horse spooked several cars kicked and of course somebody writing into the paper about the state of the roads after horses have walked down them ...
Usually if given time on the way back I'll kick them into the side of the road maybe....as long as some manicured lawn is not in the way.
Tell you what if you collect all the harmful fumes from your car motorbike bus or train in a bag.. I'll carry a plastic bag for poo.......

Errogie
16-Nov-06, 19:05
There are people who live in cities with four by fours or "Chelsea Tractors" who would just love to drive through some mud and dung without leaving the safety of a tarmac road. I believe they can even get some spray on dirt and wet dog aeresol to give their vehicles a more authentic country dweller look.
We need to get Visit Scotland to market this unique Caithness driving experience!