PDA

View Full Version : Wick Somerfield

stekar
07-Nov-06, 22:03
Any one know what's happened to the Deli counter in Somerfield. Was it to do with the flood, or have they just given up with it?

coastown
07-Nov-06, 22:42
i was in today and asked a member of staff what happened to the deli she said it was all going to be pre packed now, i thought their shelves were pretty empty looking i wonder if there is something going on.

connieb19
07-Nov-06, 22:47
I heard they're getting a refit pretty soon. I don't think it's because of Tesco that the Deli has closed, think they're closing in a lot of the Somerfield stores. :confused

JAWS
08-Nov-06, 00:03
I noticed that the cow wasn't giving milk again today. Unless you lot all suddenly decided to make Milk Puddings again!

gaby2003
08-Nov-06, 00:24
mate works there and she said it was cause the deli wasnt doing much, its also closing in the coop as well so rumour has it anyway!

misty woman
08-Nov-06, 13:10
mate works there and she said it was cause the deli wasnt doing much, its also closing in the coop as well so rumour has it anyway!Where did you hear this story about the deli in the coop,i can tell you that it is compleat rubbish!

Zippy
08-Nov-06, 14:25
i was in today and asked a member of staff what happened to the deli she said it was all going to be pre packed now, i thought their shelves were pretty empty looking i wonder if there is something going on.

Most likely because they're short-staffed. The stock doesn't hop onto the shelf all by itself ;)

scorrie
08-Nov-06, 14:53
Any one know what's happened to the Deli counter in Somerfield. Was it to do with the flood, or have they just given up with it?

What is happening to Somerfield full stop?

I was in yesterday and the lady on the till was on her first day there after having moved from another department. Needless to say she was nervous and unsure of some of the procedures. I realise that everyone has to start somewhere but it was unreal to see that she was the only checkout open and there was no "buddy" there to help her out. That is amateurish management, similar to the other Friday at five'o'clock when the place was mobbed and only two checkouts were open (one manned by a young lad) There were several calls for "assistants to checkouts" but nobody appeared.

I spoke to one of the staff and told them that they could close the doors once Tesco opens. The response was that they expected to lose customers to Tesco initially, while shoppers checked out the new store for a "nosey" but that they expected to return to normal in the long-term and were due for a refit next spring. I expected them to go on and predict that Saddam Hussein will be the Christmas Number One this year with a rework of the Lord Rockingham's XI hit "Hoots Mon, there's a Noose, Loose aboot this Hoose" ;o)

danc1ngwitch
08-Nov-06, 15:53
They will have some reason for it, they always do strange things in advance... The new Tesco will b the reason, wots the point in puttin so much into something when for a fact everyone will travel to tesco...

Henrik7
08-Nov-06, 16:00
I was speaking to my mate that works in Somerfield and he said that everyone was leaving to go to Tesco's. They are also not taking on anymore people until after xmas until they know how the situation turns out with Tesco coming.

Some of you may have seen the Manager working on the tills as they are so short staffed. Some of the people have been promoted without any choice even though some of them don't want to be.

There was a rumour floating about (yes I know a rumour in wick.....what a surprise) that they were told they would not get paid off if they were to close because of Tesco, hence this is supposed to be the reason why everyone is leaving.

98elite
08-Nov-06, 16:49
There was a rumour floating about (yes I know a rumour in wick.....what a surprise) that they were told they would not get paid off if they were to close because of Tesco, hence this is supposed to be the reason why everyone is leaving.

EH?? so they close due to Tesco, the staff all keep there jobs and do what???? skittle football in the empty space??

mmm would it make a good indoor sports centre???? good floor space, good parking.

A convenience store in the centre of town for a quick pint of milk or a loaf of bread is all that will be required by the shopper on the street or catching the bus, why would anyone want to use Somerfield once Tesco arrives its rubbish, i still stop off and use Morrisons on the way up the A9 as I like their brand but Somerfield is very poor, roll on the sports centre lets make that the next rumour.

Henrik7
08-Nov-06, 16:56
I was told .... another rumour....wait for it..... Mataland is supposed to be interested in the Somerfield building. There all flying about now!!

Henrik7
08-Nov-06, 16:59
EH?? so they close due to Tesco, the staff all keep there jobs and do what???? skittle football in the empty space??

mmm would it make a good indoor sports centre???? good floor space, good parking.

A convenience store in the centre of town for a quick pint of milk or a loaf of bread is all that will be required by the shopper on the street or catching the bus, why would anyone want to use Somerfield once Tesco arrives its rubbish, i still stop off and use Morrisons on the way up the A9 as I like their brand but Somerfield is very poor, roll on the sports centre lets make that the next rumour.

They lose their jobs but don't get paid off!! Thought that was pretty obvious????????

mareng
08-Nov-06, 17:52
They lose their jobs but don't get paid off!! Thought that was pretty obvious????????

Not obvious to me from your original post.

Since you are now labouring a point, I guess that you mean that they will loose their jobs without any severance payment (redundancy)

henry20
08-Nov-06, 17:57
I am led to believe that being 'paid off' is just a term and that there isn't a requirement for the employer to give money outwith what is due for the hours worked. I know several people that have been 'paid off' but not had any redundacy money. As far as I am aware, the 2 are entirely different. I may be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time :roll: (but maybe the 2nd :lol:)

gaby2003
08-Nov-06, 18:37
sorry misty_woman just what i heard at the tills on sunday when i was talking to my mate who works in the coop!theres so many rumours go round in this town though!sorry!

Woolie
08-Nov-06, 21:53
I heard it was going to have peacocks in it which could happen there r a lot down south which have a peacocks run by somerfields staff seems to work there.

Doolally
08-Nov-06, 22:39
More Wick rumours and there will be plenty more in the next few weeks!!

Watch this space!

Zippy
09-Nov-06, 00:17
They aren't being taken over by Matalan. The rumours are silly.

Most of the staff are off to Tescos and they won't be taking on any more staff until they know the situation. It is better waiting a little while until after Tesco open, because then, they'll know how many members of staff are needed. Yes, they are short-staffed at the moment. But what's the point in taking people on that aren't really needed once Tesco opens?

It'll get worse before it gets better.

Rainmaker2
09-Nov-06, 08:27
Somerfields down here have a display from a shop called Tchibo in them. They basically are a German chain who sell some really nice bits and pieces. See www.tchibo.co.uk (http://www.tchibo.co.uk) for what they are currently selling. They actually change the range every Wednesday.

Cattach
09-Nov-06, 09:20
Somerfields down here have a display from a shop called Tchibo in them. They basically are a German chain who sell some really nice bits and pieces. See www.tchibo.co.uk (http://www.tchibo.co.uk) for what they are currently selling. They actually change the range every Wednesday.

Same up here!

angela5
09-Nov-06, 11:06
I was told .... another rumour....wait for it..... Mataland is supposed to be interested in the Somerfield building. There all flying about now!!

Did'nt the manager of Somerfield have a letter in last weeks groat to confirm this is a rumour.

saffy100
09-Nov-06, 11:29
Lets face it.........no one apart from the powers that be who are in the head offices will know what is to become of the store....i was made redundant earlier this year..and trust me, big business won't give anything away until the very last minute, and the staff are the last to know.

saffy100