PDA

View Full Version : March and demonstration against windfarms on Saturday 3rd March in Inverness.

ywindythesecond
27-Feb-12, 20:03
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3856/finaldemoposter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/finaldemoposter.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

spurtle
27-Feb-12, 21:10
Certainly will get there - these things are a scandalous waste of our money. What is the point of generating energy in such an inefficient and exxpensive way, producing power at a rendition that neither domestic consumers nor industry can afford.
Time our politicians started listening.

Kodiak
27-Feb-12, 23:20
I think I will be environmentally friendly and not bother, as this will save 25 Litres of Diesel on a Return Journey to inverness. :D

ywindythesecond
28-Feb-12, 00:01
I think I will be environmentally friendly and not bother, as this save 25 Litres of Diesel on a Return Journey to inverness. :D
Don't you have a bus pass?

Kodiak
28-Feb-12, 00:12

Since I can't travel by Bus, I do Not have a Bus Pass?

changilass
28-Feb-12, 00:12

Are you trying to tell us that highland busses run on fresh air?

rupert
28-Feb-12, 00:24
Hope there is a good turn-out on Saturday, unfortunately cannot go myself due to work commitments.

Excellent article by John Constable in Holyrood magazine at the end of January entitled 'At what price?'

www.holyrood.com/articles/2012/01/30/at-what-price-2/ (http://www.holyrood.com/articles/2012/01/30/at-what-price-2/)

Well worth a read. Here is the final bit -

Renewable electricity generation is, of course, just one of the many questions that will be debated in the forthcoming referendum, but it does pose problems of particular diffi culty. Assuming that all the capacity with planning consent is actually built, and, for the sake of argument, half of that in planning receives consent, this would result in a Scottish onshore wind fl eet of about 7.8 GWs. With a load factor of around 27 per cent, subsidy and system costs for this fl eet would amount to approximately £2bn annually, a heavy burden on the Scottish consumer base, not only for businesses already fi ghting for survival but also for private individuals. To put this in concrete terms, since roughly one third of consumption is domestic, and there are about 2.4 million households in Scotland, we can estimate that this wind fl eet would entail an annual bill impact of approximately £300 per Scottish household, of which about £140 would be for subsidy alone.Only continuing support from English and Welsh consumers could mitigate the impact, but whether they would consent to this without some degree of ownership is open to doubt, a point that has signifi cant implications for Scotland’s ambitions to trade renewable electricity at a profi t across the interconnector.

A frightening thought that every household in Scotland will be paying an extra £300 per year as a result of this obsession with windfarms.

golach
28-Feb-12, 00:58
Wonder if Eck Salmond will be there, showing his support to the cause LOL

spurtle
28-Feb-12, 15:39
People just don't realise the scale of what is about to hit the Highlands, even with the number of windfarms consented, never mind the ones further up the pipeline.
Anyone with a concern for our precious landscapes, tourism and the well-being of people who are going to have to live with the things should show up on this march to let the politicians know the strength of feeling which is building up.

Rheghead
28-Feb-12, 18:25
It'll be just the usual outspoken dozen who'll attend again, oh and a dog, let's not forget about him.

spurtle
28-Feb-12, 19:01
Oh, Shut up Bighead

FLUFFRA
28-Feb-12, 19:05
I think I will be environmentally friendly and not bother, as this will save 25 Litres of Diesel on a Return Journey to inverness. :D

You read my mind mate

Rheghead
28-Feb-12, 19:06
People just don't realise the scale of what is about to hit the Highlands, even with the number of windfarms consented, never mind the ones further up the pipeline.
Anyone with a concern for our precious landscapes, tourism and the well-being of people who are going to have to live with the things should show up on this march to let the politicians know the strength of feeling which is building up.

People just don't realise what needs to be done to get us off fossil fuels which is the biggest threat to the pristine state of those highlands. The Chief Scientific Advisor to the Government, David JC Mackay will tell you gladly. Ask Ywindythesecond, he is his buddy.

Corrie 3
28-Feb-12, 19:25
I hear Donald Trump maybe attending..............hope he buys us all a drink!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-17193218

C3..............:roll:;)

golach
28-Feb-12, 19:58
Oh, Shut up Bighead

Oh thats a wonderful turn of phrase, could you not do better? Rheghead is right in his thinking and policies IMHO.

spurtle
28-Feb-12, 22:38
Oh thats a wonderful turn of phrase, could you not do better? Rheghead is right in his thinking and policies IMHO.

What policy? How many dogs turn up??

ywindythesecond
28-Feb-12, 22:56
What policy? How many dogs turn up??
Usually just the one dog. Very intelligent. Can debate the hind legs off Reggy!
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8960/image1hui.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/image1hui.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

golach
28-Feb-12, 23:18
The dowg is the only real thing in that photo, the rest are cardboard cutouts, what a waste of energy.

Moira
28-Feb-12, 23:46
It'll be just the usual outspoken dozen who'll attend again, oh and a dog, let's not forget about him.

Maybe so Rheghead and I'll not debate my points of view on Caithness, Caithness Windfarms or anything else on these forums anymore.

The dog may be dumb but is not stupid........

Rheghead
29-Feb-12, 20:57
Maybe so Rheghead and I'll not debate my points of view on Caithness, Caithness Windfarms or anything else on these forums anymore.

The dog may be dumb but is not stupid........

Dogs live in the present moment, they have no concept of the bigger picture, a bit similiar to anti-wind protesters, they are only concerned with their view outside, their lifestyle their tunnelled vision, they have no capacity to think what we leave future generations. Like all dogs, they need a good owner to show them the way foward under proper control.

Rheghead
29-Feb-12, 21:09
I see Donald Trump is now bankrolling anti wind groups across Scotland to the tune of £10 million, a stab in the back for Salmond, chums breaking up an'all, interesting times...

bekisman
29-Feb-12, 21:15
People just don't realise what needs to be done to get us off fossil fuels which is the biggest threat to the pristine state of those highlands. The Chief Scientific Advisor to the Government, David JC Mackay will tell you gladly. Ask Ywindythesecond, he is his buddy.
Oh come on Reggy, stop driving around in your 4x4 and your big campervan might help? ;)

golach
29-Feb-12, 23:06
Oh come on Reggy, stop driving around in your 4x4 and your big campervan might help? ;)

Bekisman, forgot you to mention, Rheg's bicycle[lol]

Moira
29-Feb-12, 23:33
Dogs live in the present moment, they have no concept of the bigger picture, a bit similiar to anti-wind protesters, they are only concerned with their view outside, their lifestyle their tunnelled vision, they have no capacity to think what we leave future generations. Like all dogs, they need a good owner to show them the way foward under proper control.

I'm not biting Rheghead ;)

Good try though, I almost tried to compile some semblance of a reply.......

Errogie
01-Mar-12, 13:16
So when the developers for the proposed windfarm at the back of Reay come with their Community Benefit monies Rheghead will say, no, keep your hand in your pocket you need it more than we do. Give it back to your shareholders, their need is greater because they'll doubtless want to roll out the inevitable extension or development of other sites for the greater good of humanity.

Rheghead
01-Mar-12, 13:55

Actually I don't think it would help much, I'm just one individual in a supposed free society to do what I want to do. Unfotunately, society doesn't make it easy for any individual to change to a low carbon lifestyle and allow them to live the life they want. My campervan is my solution to holiday air travel though. I'm not exactly running around in it 24/7 despite my desire to do otherwise. :roll:

But I can see how attacks on people who desire to change to a low carbon solution on the basis of their current lifestyle choices can lead to apathy.

Rheghead
01-Mar-12, 13:59
So when the developers for the proposed windfarm at the back of Reay come with their Community Benefit monies Rheghead will say, no, keep your hand in your pocket you need it more than we do. Give it back to your shareholders, their need is greater because they'll doubtless want to roll out the inevitable extension or development of other sites for the greater good of humanity.

Actually the Limekiln development is a good one. It is far from housing on land where nobody goes. But I do think the Community Benefit will be helpful within Reay.

Errogie
01-Mar-12, 14:21
Whatever ones views upon "Community Benefit" the reality is that the cat is out of the bag, the government is backing it and communities have to do their best to invest in good works while its still available.

Down here in south Loch Ness we've formed a community company without charitable status as the advantages were not worth the restrictions that charitable objectives place upon good projects. Recruitment of competent directors hopefully with some administrative abilities is obviously pretty important as well as trying to keep a central belt based organisation called the Scottish Community Foundation from acting as a completely unnecessary intermediary between you and your community benefit money.

Rheghead
01-Mar-12, 14:30
Yes it is unfortunate that charity status is not possible for community benefit funds as councillors insist on public accountability, hence the politicisation which precludes charity status.

Errogie
01-Mar-12, 15:56
Actually there are quite a few Community Benefit funds with charitable status and the rules on accountability are pretty well enforced by OSCAR, H.M. Revenue's regulatory body and public accountability is probably stricter than with a limited company. So long as income from investments at present is so minimal it suits us to pay the income tax and stay flexible to deal with grant applications from individuals and local bodies which are not registered charities.
Otherwise you can end up seriously limiting your ability to do good works right accross the community. It's been a very interesting learning curve over the last 6/7 years and we're still finding our way.

What is important is for communities to share their experience and beware of some of the carpet bagger wind farm companies who are still getting away with offering £500 per annum per installed megawtt in Northern Ireland as opposed to the Scottish Executive and Highland Council £5000 per megawatt.

Rheghead
01-Mar-12, 19:35
I was probably directing my comment towards the pan highland benefit fund which has been politicised thus precluding it from charity status.

I thought it was £1500 per MW? Or is that just a Scottish Government recommendation?

bekisman
01-Mar-12, 20:08
Actually I don't think it would help much, I'm just one individual in a supposed free society to do what I want to do. Unfotunately, society doesn't make it easy for any individual to change to a low carbon lifestyle and allow them to live the life they want. My campervan is my solution to holiday air travel though. I'm not exactly running around in it 24/7 despite my desire to do otherwise. :roll:

But I can see how attacks on people who desire to change to a low carbon solution on the basis of their current lifestyle choices can lead to apathy.Same here Reggy, like you "I'm just one individual in a supposed free society to do what I want to do". But please do not get apathetic that your desires are not being met..

Incidentally this roadworks at Bridge of Isauld certainly seems to be providing a sweeping curve, for Turbine shipments - I've never understood why these movements are not done at night, so as notto cause inconvenience to Jo Public whilst said farmer makes his £millions from ROC subsidies - just a thought..

Green_not_greed
02-Mar-12, 14:27
Actually the Limekiln development is a good one. It is far from housing on land where nobody goes.

Far from being "where nobody goes", the tracks are used by a good many people most weekends to enjoy cycling, running and exercising their dogs. And its only 1.5km from the village - which is against the Scottish Government's own guideline of 2km from settlements. Given that these turbines could be the biggest yet seen in Caithness - 3.6MW - they should be far more than 2km away from housing. However I expect that the greedy and the blinkered will support this development.

Rheghead
02-Mar-12, 15:19
Far from being "where nobody goes", the tracks are used by a good many people most weekends to enjoy cycling, running and exercising their dogs. And its only 1.5km from the village - which is against the Scottish Government's own guideline of 2km from settlements. Given that these turbines could be the biggest yet seen in Caithness - 3.6MW - they should be far more than 2km away from housing. However I expect that the greedy and the blinkered will support this development.

A good many? Despite living in the area for a number of years now, I've never seen anyone else bar myself walking along the track although I have seen footsteps and bicycle tracks in the mud. Access is limited from August to March to the general public due to shooting. There is also a padlock on the gates which precludes cycling at all times of the year unless you are determined to carry your bike over the fence by the rickety steps. The scenery isn't that interesting unless you like the look of rows upon rows of crop-grown conifers which hide any chance of seeing anything remotely worth watching.:roll:

A "good many" use the tracks in the Lake District, Pennine way, West Highland way etc but a good many doesn't properly describe the numbers who use the Limekiln route unless you were trying to artificially raise the importance of that area in order to kill off a wind farm development.

And on one final note,it was only a few years ago when CWIF were recommending a 1km distance from residential properties.

Green_not_greed
02-Mar-12, 18:25
I expect that the greedy and the blinkered will support this development.

I rest my case......

Rheghead
02-Mar-12, 20:00
I rest my case......

Usually when someone writes that ditty it is response to a comment that someone else has made which furthers their case. To do it in response to their own comment smacks of blind dogma.