PDA

View Full Version : Lidls shopping

wilma
07-Nov-06, 14:41
How many of you shop in Lidls? what a massive saving you get on your groceries, who in their right mind will pay £1.09 for a carton of orange juice from other supermarkets when it's in Lidls for 59p. Black bags 75p in the coop they are £2.09:eek:

unicorn
07-Nov-06, 14:43
I do most of my shopping in lidls, why pay extra when you don't have to?

angela5
07-Nov-06, 14:49
I do a lot of shopping in lidls why pay extra for certain things. Their orange juice is just the same as the expensive ones from another supermarket.
I have'nt bought any meat or frozen things though.

footie chick
07-Nov-06, 14:53
The frozen spicy or not chicken wings are lovely and their blackpudding is the best.

pedromcgrory
07-Nov-06, 15:02
chicken nuggets too best ive tried in town

willowbankbear
07-Nov-06, 15:09
I like their Scampi & sardines are cheap as chips. I shop there as much as poss. Dont like their Pizza`s Im afraid

Billy Boy
07-Nov-06, 15:14
i find them a bit of a hit and miss,some thing's bad and some thing's are ok, like there veg is okay but doesnt stay fresh that long,and some of there tinned stuff is not to bad either,now as for there sauage roll's i can only describe as chewing wallpaper with the paste on:eek: but as they say you get what you pay for,

danc1ngwitch
07-Nov-06, 15:20
I use it for the juices etc, but things like coffee and certain other items i use the co op... I have used their chops and mince and even their cubed meat and it seems fine to me... There is one thing from lidles that i am not the only one that buys heaps of it... hmmm !!! blackcherrie youghart the thick and creamy ones and they are real cheap too...yum yum... their was another mum in buyin as many of the cherrie ones as i was one day lol..[lol]

dragonfly
07-Nov-06, 15:43
cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, yogurts, coleslaw all better than somerfields own or co-op own brand and cheaper too.

I don't buy their bread as it goes mouldy very quick or crumbles when you try buttering it!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Nov-06, 15:45
Love their Caramel Shortcake.....delicious.

badger
07-Nov-06, 17:30
If food is that cheap when it reaches us then someone at the other end of the chain is being paid slave rates - think about it. Buying in massive bulk can't be the whole answer, it has to be workers paid next to nothing and animals in appalling conditions. Have you seen pictures of pigs in European farms (not farms, factories) - it's disgusting but it's really hard to buy pork products that are non-EU. Even British farmers have to sell milk for less than it costs to produce so imagine what people in the third world are getting. Fairtrade goods are more expensive but at least those who produce it are looked after - we hope.

Macwull
07-Nov-06, 17:48
Yeah but lidl also have the ability to sell cheap as they have next to no staff! They may have nine in total or something with three on at a time whereas the co-op has maybe thirty or so with twenty on at peak, they also stack there shelves whereas lidl just put out pallets!!

I never really used to like lidl but eventually realised theres plenty of bargains there! :D

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 17:58
I'm in there every night going wild in the aisles, you could class me as one of the Lidl hardcore :eek: My favourites in there have to be the venezualan chocolate (99p), their red grapes (in short supply at the moment), their fresh lasagne (£2.19) and their crusti croc cashew nuts. I always come out with some kind of tool on "offer day", some of the gear is actually pretty good, this week it's all toys which is a bit disappointing, I'm waiting for the batteries for their cordless drill to come around again.... good drill but the batteries pack in after about 9 months. I find the best time to shop in there is around 7pm, seems to be just men that shop at that hour and the checkouts are pretty empty..... great time of night for browsing and, dare I admit how sad I've become, a good night out on the cheap :Razz

Tristan
07-Nov-06, 18:08
If food is that cheap when it reaches us then someone at the other end of the chain is being paid slave rates - think about it. Buying in massive bulk can't be the whole answer, it has to be workers paid next to nothing and animals in appalling conditions. Have you seen pictures of pigs in European farms (not farms, factories) - it's disgusting but it's really hard to buy pork products that are non-EU. Even British farmers have to sell milk for less than it costs to produce so imagine what people in the third world are getting. Fairtrade goods are more expensive but at least those who produce it are looked after - we hope.

I see your point and I agree, western supermarkets do put pressure on farmers. However I believe part of what we pay comes down to the 'rip off Britain' syndrome. When we moved to the UK the only things we found cheaper here than across the pond were beer and sweets.

My question would be is why can almost every other western country have more affordable produce than Britain?

jaykay
07-Nov-06, 18:32

You are spot on there Badger.
Anyone who buys meat products in supermarkets are certainly contributing to animals being kept in appalling conditions. Much better to buy meat from the local butcher even if it does cost a few pence more. At least your local butcher sells British produce where the animals concerned are kept in much coditions than what they could expect overseas.
And before anyone asks I have no connections with local butchers!!

obiron
07-Nov-06, 19:46
I've bought a few different things in lidls and if it wasnt for the non food items my shopping would be cheap.
i seem to get a lot more for my money than i do in somerfield. even tried the cheap gin.

scorrie
07-Nov-06, 20:51

I have seen plenty of Lidls produce that is sourced within the UK. On other occasions it may be from Ireland, The Netherlands etc. Certainly none of it from places I would class as having slave labour.

As pointed out by others, Lidls operate on a skelton staff/no frills basis and I believe that, in the main, they manage to keep prices down without sacrificing on the quality.

I would be more concerned as to how Tesco, with their "cast of millions" staff can acheive a similar price/quality ratio?

weedom
07-Nov-06, 21:01
I had it explained to me by an ex till-jockey... it's all about Lidl's buying in bulk. The manufacturers, such as heinz, make huge amounts of food for the "traditional" supermarkets, and because of this they have to speculate as to what demand will be, quite far in advance. Often, they over-compensate (can't not have enough beans when Tesco come a-knocking!) and wind up with loads of stuff left over that they can't shift cos it's not enough for the big guys.

So Lidl's comes along, scoops up the leftover tins for virtually nothing, mark them up a bit and sell it on to you.

There's no big conspiracy, they just stack 'em high and sell 'em low, and do it by exploiting the relationship between the big supermarkets and the manufacturers. Quite clever, really. :)

sharon
07-Nov-06, 21:08
anyone else notice that eastenders must shop in lidl, in every house is the brands you get out off lidl............ and the shop is just stacked just like a mini lidl.

do the bulk of my shopping in lidl and can get a huge full trolley for about £60 and go to the co-op and spend the same again for a little trolley full.:roll:

dragonfly
07-Nov-06, 21:59
forgot to add to my last post, Australian Chardonnay @ £3.29 a bottle and its 13.5% :eek: cheap night in ;)

northener
07-Nov-06, 22:01
The reason the miserable cockney ones all have Lidl type- gear out is that the brands aren't instantly recognisable to the majority of viewers - so no free advertising!

Think 'sticky-back plastic'.

zappster
07-Nov-06, 22:15
we shop in Lidls its ace!

j4bberw0ck
07-Nov-06, 22:41
I just wish the fruit didn't rot within minutes, generally, of getting it home.... grapes and other soft fruit are a real problem (Kirkwall store, anyway).

But what a difference to the weekly shopping bill; it used to be you'd almost never get out of Somerfields for less than £40 and more often, £70; at Lidl, the bill is almost always a pleasant surprise by comparison. As others have said, some stuff's excellent, some is awful (watch out for the bratwurst with the plastic skin, and yes, the 24p loaves are pretty grim).

I'd say that in Kirkwall, anyway, Lidl have forced prices down in Somerfield and the Coop; I never found a source who could verify it "for sure" but two ex-members of staff at Safeway (before it became Somerfield) told me quite independently that Safeway Kirkwall was, per square foot of sales space, the most profitable store in the company because they could set their own price. The staff are generally better than Somerfield, too, though I think what looks like a recent management change at Somerfield might yield some considerable improvements........ And no, it's not a relative or friend :lol: .

But having a lidl here means I don't get to visit Thurso or Wick stores on my way through, so there are lots of Orkney residents I don't see anything like as often any more :lol:. It used to be like old home week in there.

Oddquine
08-Nov-06, 01:32
I'm a Lidl fan....and not only their groceries(favourites their frozen curries, their sorbets and their red wine boxes)........their non-food items are often darn good buys.

Was at Somerfield today (a last minute shop waiting for the bus), and found I was comparing what I'd have been able to get at Lidl's with what I spent there to get very little.

There maybe isn't the same choice as in the likes of Somerfield or the Co-op, but I'm thinking that between Lidl's and Tesco when it gets up and running, shopping should be as reasonable as it was where I came from, where I shopped at Asda.