PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance Day - Lest we forget

Malcolmdog
06-Nov-06, 22:44
God Bless all of our veterans as we stop on November 11 for our 2 minutes of silence - to remember our heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ndpvu8ErU3s

Fran
07-Nov-06, 00:39
What a beautiful film malcomdog, thankyou for that, it had me in tears. hope everyone watches it.

Tom Cornwall
07-Nov-06, 00:56
brilliant.... I wonder if that song will be released

Malcolmdog
07-Nov-06, 01:56
I am so thrilled that you enjoyed it. I have to admit, I cry also, whenever I watch it.

Terry Kelly is originally from Newfoundland. This is his web site, if you are interested in reading more about him.

http://www.terry-kelly.com/introduction.htm

trinkie
07-Nov-06, 08:27
Thank you Malcolmdog,

It was good of you to share that will us.

Kind regards
Trinkie

Alice in Blunderland
07-Nov-06, 08:45
Excellent post Malcolmdog.Its sad but true with the passage of time many people no longer feel the need to stop for as is said a 'pittance of time'.Its thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in any war that we are able to lead the lives we do today.No matter what rights or wrongs are debated over any war ultimately its someones son/daughter who may or may not have returned from whatever campaign they have been on.On November the 11th may we stop for a momment and think of all those around the world past and present who are prepared to give the ultimate sacrifice.

brokencross
07-Nov-06, 09:16
What a wonderful piece. Must admit it brought a lump to my throat.

I think we all share the sentiments of the song but find it difficult to express. Watching the video really brings it home though. (Thanks Malcolmdog)

We must never ever forget the sacrifices made by these brave souls who gave so much for our freedoms.

cuddlepop
07-Nov-06, 10:40
What a thought provoking video and meaningful music .Thank you for sharing that with us.:)

badger
07-Nov-06, 17:45
Many thanks for that very moving video. I've been privileged to take part in the Cenotaph ceremony in London several times but this year our allocation was cut right down by the British Legion so it was decided that only those who had not been before could take part. I imagine that's because the numbers parading have grown so great. More wars - more veterans and their families. It always amazed and humbled me to see how so many very elderly and disabled continue to take part often in bitter cold and rain. You have to be there before 10.0 and don't leave until after 12.0 yet still they come looking proud and with no complaint. I hope the attendance at our local ceremonies will be better than ever.

Elenna
07-Nov-06, 17:51
That is a wonderful video, Malcolmdog, thank you for sharing it. I shall pass the link on to a few friends I know who I am sure will appreciate it, too.

Kenn
08-Nov-06, 02:15
I will remember for a father that gave up 6 years of his life, for a grandfather that fought the war that was to end all wars.
WHEN will we ever learn?

Kingetter
08-Nov-06, 02:53
God Bless all of our veterans as we stop on November 11 for our 2 minutes of silence - to remember our heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ndpvu8ErU3s

THEY SHALL GROW NOT OLD
AS WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD
AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM
NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN
AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN,
AND IN THE MORNING:
WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM.
By: Laurence Binyon

ronald.val
08-Nov-06, 02:56
Very moving, I can hardly see through the tears. :cry: My father was a POW and survived some terrible times. He died last year, and he never missed a Remembrance Day Service. Now my son-in-law is due to go to Iraq this month. We should be proud of them all.
This is my first post and I just had to reply.

Kingetter
08-Nov-06, 03:01
Very moving, I can hardly see through the tears. :cry: My father was a POW and survived some terrible times. He died last year, and he never missed a Remembrance Day Service. Now my son-in-law is due to go to Iraq this month. We should be proud of them all.
This is my first post and I just had to reply.

A warm welcome to the org and congratulations on your first post. All in all, a very emotional topic for you and many of us.
Enjoy being here.
James.

Munro
08-Nov-06, 20:00
A very touching song and film, for our part since we have learnt more about my wife's Caithness family roots we will be thinking of George Munro of Latheronwheel who died in Belgium March 21st 1916, the debt we owe cannot be measured or ever repaid.

trinkie
10-Nov-06, 11:55
As Remembrance Day approaches, I have been thinking of the men in my family who were killed or injured at that dreadful time.
But I am thinking of another man too - Billy Clarke - who was killed in France in 1916. Billy Clarke was a black man who lived in Wick and played the piano in the Breadalbane Picture House. So he was indeed, greatly missed in his home town.
I like to think of Billy playing the piano to cheer up his comrades as they tried to relax. Then when times got really bad, I'm sure Billy had many tunes in his head to bring a little glimmer of comfort in his hour of need.

Thank you Billy,
I'll play a little tune for you on the 11th.
Rest in Peace.

squidge
10-Nov-06, 12:13
That was moving and thought provoking - i shared it with a few people - thanks

Rheghead
10-Nov-06, 12:29
Very moving, thank you.

trinkie
10-Nov-06, 13:44
from the Caithness Courier 1942

H M S Campbell

We're launching a ship, a Caithness Ship
And she'll soon be on the sea
To join a Fleet still strong and great
Our Royal King's Navee.

We have chosen a name for this Caithness Ship
From ''the grey town by the sea''
To honour a soldier and Caithnessman
Tis Campbell her name will be

Tho' cold is the brow of our hero now,
And his eyes no longer see
His name will live on long after I've gone
This late General Campbell V.C.

Success to our ship, our fine Caithness ship
As she ploughs the salt breakers with glee
May her sailors defeat every U-Boat they meet
And sweep every Hun from the sea

Speed on, speed on, speed on gallant ship
Speen on to Victory,
We're watching and waiting and fighting for this
For ourselves and posterity.

trinkie
10-Nov-06, 13:53
Caithness Courier.

''JERVIS BAY'' Memorial.

Dear Sir,

The Memorial recently unveiled at St John (New Brunswick) to the memory of
the heroes of the merchant cruiser ''Jervis Bay'' will help to heal the wounded hearts of the dear ones they have left behind to mourn their loss. In that gallant ship were 18 men from Caithness, nine of whom lost their lives in the epic sea battle between the ''Jervis Bay'' and a German warship. When the history of this war is written the ''Jervis Bay'' heroes will add yet one more chapter to the glory of the British Navy.

(part quote only )

peter macdonald
10-Nov-06, 15:55
re Jervis Bay http://www.iprom.co.uk/archives/caithness/jervisbaycasualties.htm
http://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/JervisBay/jervisbaymon1.htm
Amazing bravery
The Sword in the North is a very good book as well

Malcolmdog
10-Nov-06, 16:30
Caithness Courier.

''JERVIS BAY'' Memorial.

Dear Sir,

The Memorial recently unveiled at St John (New Brunswick) to the memory of
the heroes of the merchant cruiser ''Jervis Bay'' will help to heal the wounded hearts of the dear ones they have left behind to mourn their loss. In that gallant ship were 18 men from Caithness, nine of whom lost their lives in the epic sea battle between the ''Jervis Bay'' and a German warship. When the history of this war is written the ''Jervis Bay'' heroes will add yet one more chapter to the glory of the British Navy.

(part quote only )

thanks for the info, trinkie. It would be nice to go and see the memorial.

Malcolmdog
10-Nov-06, 16:40
re Jervis Bay http://www.iprom.co.uk/archives/caithness/jervisbaycasualties.htm
http://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/JervisBay/jervisbaymon1.htm
Amazing bravery
The Sword in the North is a very good book as well

Is this book by Richard White? I found a series of books with roughly the same title - before I order one of them can you confirm if it is the story of 14th century Sinclair landing on a Mass. USA coast and leaving his marker?? if so, it looks amazing!!! and thanks for the info!!

trinkie
11-Nov-06, 08:43
Last night I was reading another wonderful book - which I thoroughly recommend - Voices in the Wind, by Ally Budge.
Under the heading ' Helping the Boys in the Trenches ' page 141
I quote -

''At a meeting of the Wick Parish Church Women's Guild Work Party in April 1916 it was noted that 76yr old Mrs Bruce, Saltoun Street, Wick who had three sons in the army, had knitted no fewer than 43 pairs of socks for servicemen. A feat which the John O Groat Journal described as ''surely a record of patriotic industry worthy of public mention and appreciation''
end quote.

Well done Mrs Bruce and all the women who knitted endlessly and kept the home fires burning for their brave menfolk so far from home.

weedonald
11-Nov-06, 18:53
http://home.golden.net/~wts/words/otherwords/wts-thejervisbaygoesdown.html

oldmarine
11-Nov-06, 19:09
I will remember for a father that gave up 6 years of his life, for a grandfather that fought the war that was to end all wars.
WHEN will we ever learn?

It appears that we will never learn about this problem.