PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Vegetarian - If Yes could you eat one of these?

Kodiak
23-Feb-12, 14:00
The world could get its first Test Tube lab-grown burger this year, with scientists using stem cells to create strips of beef. But could vegetarians eat it?

I am not a Vegetarian so I would have no problem but would a Real Vegan or Vegetarian eat one. :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17113214

RecQuery
23-Feb-12, 14:28
I'm not a vegetarian. Some of the literature I saw suggested that synthetic meat might be able to be mass produced on levels that would beat regular meat for price. And besides, anybody who is against synthetic meat is usually missing the greatest possibility this technology allows: We Could eat endangered species. Think about it. Bald Eagle Buffalo Wings. Panda Burgers. We would be one Jurassic Park DNA sample (glib I know) away from Bronto Ribs.

mi16
23-Feb-12, 15:04
I seen something about this on the TV the other day, the burger will be white as it will contain no blood, it will also contain no fat and it will be tasteless.
Scientists say they will need to artifically add the tastes etc.
Pointless in my opinion.

RecQuery
23-Feb-12, 15:28
I seen something about this on the TV the other day, the burger will be white as it will contain no blood, it will also contain no fat and it will be tasteless.
Scientists say they will need to artifically add the tastes etc.
Pointless in my opinion.

Yes because TV is always accurate especially if it's science or technology related(!), I'll opt to wait, see and continue to read.

mi16
23-Feb-12, 15:31
Yes because TV is always accurate especially if it's science or technology related(!), I'll opt to wait, see and continue to read.

And the BBC website is???
away and boil yer heed

squidge
23-Feb-12, 16:03
Im not a vegetarian. If i choose a burger i want a good one, made from minced steak, rare and tasty. Not some synthetic yukky thing blerrrrrrgh.

RecQuery
23-Feb-12, 16:09
And the BBC website is???
away and boil yer heed

I didn't mean continue to read just the BBC or any news site. I meant the research etc.

mi16
23-Feb-12, 16:29
I think this "test tube" food is asking for trouble, with cancers etc

lasher
23-Feb-12, 17:23
I think this "test tube" food is asking for trouble, with cancers etc
Where has this come from?

Beat Bug
23-Feb-12, 17:23
If this synthetic 'meat' is grown (made) from stem cells, then it's flesh, so I doubt if vegetarians would eat it. If I want meat, I'll eat real meat. And I can't see why vegetarians are happy with 'pretend' meat anyway!

mi16
23-Feb-12, 17:25
Where has this come from?

A test tube!

ducati
23-Feb-12, 17:34
I'm a vegitarian and I wouldn't eat it.

linnie612
23-Feb-12, 17:45
The world could get its first Test Tube lab-grown burger this year, with scientists using stem cells to create strips of beef. But could vegetarians eat it?

I am not a Vegetarian so I would have no problem but would a Real Vegan or Vegetarian eat one. :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17113214

It would depend on your reasons for eating a vegetarian diet in the first place, I think.

Shabbychic
23-Feb-12, 18:06
I'm vegan, and I wouldn't touch it.

"The stem cells in this particular experiment were harvested from by-products of slaughtered animals but in the future, scientists say, they could be taken from a live animal through biopsy." Yuk, yuk, and thrice yuk.

Tristan
24-Feb-12, 07:24
Not a vegetarian but wouldn't touch it - try not to eat processed crap like wheat, margarine and other processed "foods".

_Ju_
24-Feb-12, 13:42
They are growing beef muscle cells. Not a mixture of meat cells, collagen, blood cells and fats cells that make up meat. So yes, is is acurate to say that the synthetic version will be tasteless, especially as it is the fat in meat and its distribuition in the muscle that give it it's flavor ( the fat also retains flavor from the type of food the animal consumed).

equusdriving
25-Feb-12, 12:01
if we aren't supposed to eat meat why make pigs "bacon flavour" :)