PDA

View Full Version : Slipped Disc

ducati
22-Feb-12, 17:27
After possibly the worst three months of our lives, and years of abusing my body, I have slipped a disc (not a cog as therealducati would have it).[lol]

I am therefore interested in an instant cure as it is seriously cramping my style.

I remember reading many threads with alternative cures (the Doctor prescribed painkillers and physiotherapy), so..on yer go what can I do?

the_big_mac
22-Feb-12, 18:55
Go see Emma at Bridge End in Thurso. 896363 She done a fantastic job on me, even though it took my 12 months to fully recover I was able to still work with her help and advice.

billmoseley
22-Feb-12, 19:39
acupuncture. i was a cripple for 6 weeks with my back a few sessions and i was like new you may have to wait till your disc has gone back in but the acupuncture would help with the pain

pat
22-Feb-12, 20:33
Acupuncture or a very good osteopath.

Slipped a disc the week before moving here a few years ago, had one lot of acupuncture, pain gone.
Years before had slipped disc and eventually after months of physio decided to try osteopath - very gingerly walked out after treatment as muscles had adapted to way I moved to try to protect myself but after a few days it was fantastic.
Worth paying the money if you have to go private but many NHS physio clinics offer acupuncture free or try your surgery one of the staff may be qualified in acupuncture.

Phill
22-Feb-12, 20:35
Aye, a Chiropractor will do you good. Needing one meself at the minute too.
Good bit of pushin n' shovin' from one of them followed by akkipunkture and you'll be right as rain, better still if they hook the needles up to a car battery.

Gronnuck
22-Feb-12, 21:56
A dose of pethedine, three days bed rest lying on my back with gentle stretching exercises and a lecture from the Doctor on how my spine is not for multitasking. Since then I've taken care not to bend and twist at the same time just in case.

John Little
22-Feb-12, 22:29
I have two collapsed discs in my back. Occasionally I overdo things and am laid up for 3 days with Arthrotec 50 from the doctors.

However I have to function normally and do things like digging, heaving slabs round and shifting furniture.

For really heavy stuff I wear a weight lifter's belt of thick leather which I got in a sports shop.

For lighter stuff, at Boots the chemist I got a back brace for £25 which looks like an old fashioned corset but operates differently. with it on I can lift sinks and boxes of tiles, books etc because it focuses the effort away from the spine and onto the muscles of the abdomen.

It also relieves a lot of the strain right away.

sweetpea
22-Feb-12, 23:55
After possibly the worst three months of our lives, and years of abusing my body, I have slipped a disc (not a cog as therealducati would have it).[lol]

I am therefore interested in an instant cure as it is seriously cramping my style.

I remember reading many threads with alternative cures (the Doctor prescribed painkillers and physiotherapy), so..on yer go what can I do?

For me, I wouldn't underestimate my physio. I broke my neck 10 years ago and have been through physio, acupuncture and various other treatments (signposted to by the physio). The only thing I have ever found to be of any help is to do the excercises that have been prescribed as any of the above only work well in conjunction with doing the excercises.
What I will also say is, that any medication I have taken has only been effective along side doing the exercise. If I just take the meds without doing the movement it doesn't work.

Looking forward to next physio appt this week:)

ducati
23-Feb-12, 08:48
Thanks guys, And for the PMs too. I'd still like to know which pocket to put my crystals in and if there are any witches out there that could help with a spell.

Phill. I like your idea particularly, but for severe pain, I think I'll adapt it and go and plug myself into a 13amp socket. :eek:

Phill
23-Feb-12, 09:39
Phill. I like your idea particularly, but for severe pain, I think I'll adapt it and go and plug myself into a 13amp socket.
The system the guy used on me was plugged into the mains!!!!!
Seriously though, it made a difference for my injury. Electro stimulation acupuncture, or summit like that.
Obviously this works on the muscles but it could help to build up muscle support for your back.

*Martin*
23-Feb-12, 12:25
Go see Emma at Bridge End in Thurso. 896363 She done a fantastic job on me, even though it took my 12 months to fully recover I was able to still work with her help and advice.

I'd seccond this. I've been seeing Emma for a few months due to back probs. Not only has she helped them no end but she's also helped me with a problem with my knee. I was in a bad accident a long time ago and was left with a 30 degree bend in my leg. Everyone I've ever seen with the NHS has told me I'd never get a further bend. Emma started working it one session and I was bending to 80!

The girl is amazing!

achingale
26-Feb-12, 15:10
Easiest cure is not to do it in the first place - ouch, I feel your pain! Hope you get it sorted soon.

davem
26-Feb-12, 15:32
Problem is the only people who really look after their backs are those that have already taken it one step too far. TBH most backs are damaged by repeated minor strains rather than one extreme event - hard to see it coming very often.

ducati
27-Feb-12, 08:33
Problem is the only people who really look after their backs are those that have already taken it one step too far. TBH most backs are damaged by repeated minor strains rather than one extreme event - hard to see it coming very often.

Yes, I can't pin it down to any specific injury.