PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP with a wood problem

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 12:19
hello, im currently trying to get an estimate for an order of wood. now heres my problem. its americans that are giving me the numbers, and i need to order the wood here locally in thurso. the only info i got was that i need to order 17 boards of 2x12

when i contacted travis perkins they said they didnt do that....im confused.

this is also a problem because i struggle with processing numbers mentally lol

its purpose is flooring on a 16ft ring. ie boxing and wrestling.

so if anyone could help me figure out what the problem is and direct me to the correct place to order this or get a decent pricing i would very much appreciate it.

starfish
21-Feb-12, 12:26
try paul quintfall forest lyth 07742102164 he has his own saw mill he very good reallu helpful

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 12:38
thank you will contact him today for an estimate.

Phill
21-Feb-12, 12:47
Think you might need to be more specific about the floor construction.
Does there need to be a specific wood used?
Not sure about sports rings, isn't there a need for a certain amount of 'bounce' i.e. sprung floor?
Or is the floor covered with a mat?

You might just need to work out the area and order accordingly, probably interlocking or tongue & groove timber (floorboards simply).

mi16
21-Feb-12, 12:56
2x12 will be 2" thick by 12" wide or 50mm thick by 300mm wide.
A length of wood is normally 4.8m long or 15'7"

mi16
21-Feb-12, 13:25
I dont think you need to get the wook specially machined for you at a sawmill, give Allans of Gillock a shout and they will get it for you (usually cheaper than the Thurso merchants). 2x12 isnt really a standard size of wood stocked, but I cant see any reason why a 2x6 wouldnt do, you will just need double the quantity to cover the area, and also twice the fixings.

david
21-Feb-12, 13:40
hello, im currently trying to get an estimate for an order of wood. now heres my problem. its americans that are giving me the numbers, and i need to order the wood here locally in thurso. the only info i got was that i need to order 17 boards of 2x12

when i contacted travis perkins they said they didnt do that....im confused.

this is also a problem because i struggle with processing numbers mentally lol

its purpose is flooring on a 16ft ring. ie boxing and wrestling.

so if anyone could help me figure out what the problem is and direct me to the correct place to order this or get a decent pricing i would very much appreciate it.

2 inch x 12 inch seems a lot OTT for flooring. Surely 22mm would do.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 13:41
yeah, contacted few and 2x12 is very foreign over here. its an american standard. the boards cant interlock, they need to bounce, as said above and clever you for guessing why i need the wood lol.

FRAMING LUMBER, is what i was advised. but again americans advise, as the equipment is made there.

i have settled on 2x8 at a length of 16ft as its a 16foot ring.

is this feasible?

contacted paul, got a refusal on the 2x12 asked about 2x8......have yet to hear back.

will try the others suggested. keep em coming lol

Phill
21-Feb-12, 13:45
Makes a bit more sense, try Rob Sutherland in Wick. 01955 602 101
Not sure if he'll stock it but should be able to get 2x12.
2x8 is a pretty standard ish size for joists, maybe Norscot could help (timber frame housey peeps)

edit: you might find that narrower timber (6" & 8") might have too much bounce or become unevenly bouncy / springy resulting in twisted ankles, you might have to stick with 12 inches (oooerrr missus)

mi16
21-Feb-12, 13:47
is that just fixed at either end?
Would explain the need for 2" thick with two burly guys bouncing about on it.
2x8 will be fine just mind and take enough lengths to cover your width, is the ring 16' to the inside edges of the steel or the outside edges, double check I would hate for the wood to be couple of inches short.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 13:51
got one at 275

2x8 for 16.

fantastic and thank you all for helping me out.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 13:55
i got an estimate for 25 boards that should cover it i believe. some of these calls have been strange, been a laugh but all very helpful.

so 25, do you all believe thats enough??

Phill
21-Feb-12, 14:01
25 lengths at 16ft of 2x8 will be slightly over (i.e. you'll need to rip one down or notch out corners on two).

Before you order check out with your American peeps re width, you might have missed my edit above: you might find that narrower timber (6" & 8") might have too much bounce or become unevenly bouncy / springy resulting in twisted ankles, you might have to stick with 12 inches

It'd be money wasted to find 8" isn't enough (pun slightly intended) :D

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 14:05
i have thought this. and i contacted the company awaiting reply. been at this all day lol

mi16
21-Feb-12, 14:06
Would the width make any difference to the bounce? surely the thickness of the timber is the critical thing as far as bounce is concerned.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 14:12
see i am in the dark on this one. when i trained we used a plywood, square cut. now that was bouncy. all modern designs use wooden planks. im not sure as i have no idea on carpentry or anything of that nature. if i think hard upon it (really really hard lol) i honestly think that width would not effect it. just thickness. but then i would hate to take a bump on it and hurt myself over a stupid error, or worse someone training. usually the company who builds it supplies the wood, but its too much added to the cost of shipping. even the company itself says its better to buy locally.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 14:14
ah ha! just confirmed from the company 2x8 is fine, as is 2x6.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 14:19
sorry forgot to reply to other questions, the pic i put up is the bones. a layer of padding goes on top, and then a canvas is tied tightly down over it. keeps it all even and makes a more even bounce. also makes more of the wood bang. louder impacts etc.

Phill
21-Feb-12, 14:19
Would the width make any difference to the bounce? surely the thickness of the timber is the critical thing as far as bounce is concerned.
It does, and quite a bit surprisingly. Just been comparing 2x1 with 5x1 whilst in the middle of fixing stuff!!
The other factor is the load spread (or load factor) especially when thinking about foot size hitting the boards, too narrow and you will get twisted ankles and boxers going off at all angles.
Could bring a new dimension to the sport though!

Phill
21-Feb-12, 14:21
ah ha! just confirmed from the company 2x8 is fine, as is 2x6.Well, that does surprise me!
But I guess with padding and canvas on top that helps spread the load.

mi16
21-Feb-12, 14:24
All is well that ends well.
Out of intrest are we going to be getting live boxing and wrestling events in Caithness to entertain us.

Deadmans Sunshine
21-Feb-12, 15:03
im working on it lol

at the moment just wrestling. my goal is to put on once a month shows etc. thats a bit away as im looking for people to train.

but with that being said its all early days yet.

mi16
21-Feb-12, 17:46
its a bloody good idea, something totally different that doesnt involve alchohol.
might make a few bob for the running of your operation also.