PDA

View Full Version : Restocking large pond

vikkib
19-Feb-12, 17:05
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help.

We have a very large pond / small lochan which we are looking to stock with Rainbow Trout (having taken advice this appears to be the best for the pond / lochan) - does anyone know if there is anywhere up here to buy live young fish from to stock the pond.

Thanks

secretsquirrel
19-Feb-12, 19:31
The angling club i used to be in bought there fish from Stirling University. We never had any problems with there fish. Not sure about delivery to Caithness but worth a try. Also will you have problems with rainbow fish surviving the winters in caithness?

Have to spoken to the chap at Halkirk who has the fishery?

vikkib
19-Feb-12, 20:03
Hi, thanks for that info. The advice we've been given was to go for the rainbow trout because the brown trout wouldn't survive the winter. I didn't know there was anyone at Halkirk who had a fishery, I don't suppose you know any contact details do you?

Thanks

buggyracer
19-Feb-12, 20:26
Can't see why brown trout wouldn't survive a winter considering they survive just fine in every other loch locally?

smithp
19-Feb-12, 20:56
There's a link to harpsdale fisheries on the angling section of this site. I don't see why brown trout won't survive either, and theres every chance shags, commorants, herons and otters will strip the place out with rainbows.

Errogie
19-Feb-12, 23:11
If there's a suitable outlet they may disapear oceanwards.

gordie
20-Feb-12, 00:41
Hi we stocked a large old quarry with rainbow trout we bought through George Sutherland Harpsdale they grew well until an otter cleaned them out in a matter of a week or so but good luck anyway