PDA

View Full Version : Asda for Thurso

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 15:53
How many people on here would like to see Asda open a store in Thurso. I bet its loads and loads. I am gauging peoples opinions, if there are enough people then you never know what might it happen

mi16
17-Feb-12, 16:01
Its a no from me

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 16:04
Ok thank's for replying to my question

eric pollard
17-Feb-12, 16:09
its a yes from me

scoobyc
17-Feb-12, 16:20
why not create a poll? I think it's in the options at the bottom when you create a post?

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 16:29
Thanks for your reply eric

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 16:31
Thanks for your reply scoobyc

Mr P Cannop
17-Feb-12, 16:36
i said a BIG YES from me

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 16:38
Thanks for your support P Cannop

Nick Noble
17-Feb-12, 16:55
Hi Rufas

I would be all in favour of any major supermarket chain opening a supermarket in Thurso, Tesco do not appear to have any intention of doing so despite owning the only site that could currently be used for such a purpose.

If you are wanting to get Asda or any other supermarket up here your starting point should probably be to try and get the Caithness Local Plan (http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/planning/developmentplans/localplans/caithness-existing-local-plan.htm) amended to include possible locations for supermarket development.

Asda, to their cost (literally and figuratively) know how rigidly the plan seems to be followed by the Highland Council.

Torvaig
17-Feb-12, 17:19
It's a "no" from me too.

How many "cheap" shops do we need?

How much more do we have to spend on mostly mass produced goods, low nutritional value crisps, soft drinks, cup cakes, fatty fast foods etc?

How much more food do we have to either throw away, eat and get unfit or make us crave for more?

Seems to me these "foods" are mostly and deliberately addictive.

People shout about having choice, low prices etc., whereas, if we shopped sensibly, bought only the amount of good nutritious food that we need, taught people how to prepare decent meals with decent fresh ingredients and only eat what they need to feed their brains and bodies to a fit standard.

Nowadays we have more choice than ever; a choice of varied, fresh locally produced meat and vegetables, eggs etc., on our doorstep. It is time that schools, parents etc., made a big effort to feed our future teachers, builders etc., with decent meals instead of the rubbish that some kids seem to live on with "treats" every day; from mothers, fathers, grannies, and from friends.

These "super" markets are only after your money; contrive to get you to use their store cards so that you are fooled into thinking you are getting a good deal and getting you to buy things that are totally unecessary on a daily basis and fill your freezers with mass produced rubbish that fools you into thinking they are delicious and value for money.

Some people don't know the taste of good food because their palates have been bombarded with ready made meals which are massed produced with questionable ingredients and loaded with salt, chemicals etc., to make them seem tasty and coated in "breadcrumbs" which has never seen an oven.

Yes, takeaways from the Chinese, Indian and chip shops can be tasty once in a while but not every week, some every day!

We don't need the big shops; we need to eat and drink better food value meals and only what we require to remain healthy. The children especially need their palates to taste real good value food to be able to make sensible choices to feed their brains, muscles and minds.

Locally farmed food (meat, dairy and veg) would go a long way to providing these ingredients and farmers would benefit from having a decently priced market where they would sell their produce for a decent profit.

Just think how much of the profits of those big supermarkets is spent on encouraging us to shop with them; the cost of producing their cards, the leaflets etc., needed to advertise them, the fancy custom made containers to house them in, the flyers either sent through the post or delivered by your postie, the ceiling high magnificent coloured posters covering the wall and the eco windmills erected on their roofs to save the world!

Just think how much it costs them to produce these "money saving" cards, offers etc.

How much does it cost them for the amount of staff needed to serve us, restock, clean up and deliver their shoddy goods.

How much do the buildings cost to be insured, heated and maintained? How much are the high flyers in charge of the decision making earning in large bonuses, salaries etc? And what percentage are the shareholders gobbling greedily?

Ban all supermarkets I say!!!!! :lol:

P.S. There aren't any smilies for a madwoman!

Corrie 3
17-Feb-12, 17:19
Yes, yes, yes and yes again!!!

C3................;)

Torvaig
17-Feb-12, 17:23
Yes, yes, yes and yes again!!!

C3................;)

I've seen that film too!!!!! :eek:

bingocrazy
17-Feb-12, 17:41
I would love to see asda up here and i have spoken to asda main manager and he is/was holding a petition for the allowance of having a asda at the mart or something like that really cant remember my memory like i sieve i'll look at emails later and copy and paste it in here :)

mi16
17-Feb-12, 17:53
the mart site is owned by Tesco though and not Asda

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 17:58
Hi Bingocrazy.

Can you please send me your thoughts and what the Asda main manager said to you please. My email address is liklemonkey@tiscali.co.uk I understand what has been said on here with ref Asda. Don't forget that the store will bring a lot of more shoppers into Thurso and yes it will be a good thing for all the shops

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 18:05
What is Tesco's doing with the mart but letting it go to rack and ruin. Its a disgrace. Surely if somebody could get an answer from Tesco's as to what they plan to do with it

rich62_uk
17-Feb-12, 18:13
I want Iceland.

Aaldtimer
17-Feb-12, 18:13
Rufas, see this previous thread:- http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?79095-Tesco-dancing-on-Asda-s-grave-at-the-Mart-in-Thurso :confused

mi16
17-Feb-12, 18:14
Hi Bingocrazy.

Can you please send me your thoughts and what the Asda main manager said to you please. My email address is liklemonkey@tiscali.co.uk I understand what has been said on here with ref Asda. Don't forget that the store will bring a lot of more shoppers into Thurso and yes it will be a good thing for all the shops

Wick town center would beg to differ

mi16
17-Feb-12, 18:16
What is Tesco's doing with the mart but letting it go to rack and ruin. Its a disgrace. Surely if somebody could get an answer from Tesco's as to what they plan to do with it

They cleared away the derelict buildings and secured the site, not a lot left to go to rack and ruin.
Regardless of their plans they will never sell it to a competitor.

starfish
17-Feb-12, 18:21
i say a big YEEESSSS

Nick Noble
17-Feb-12, 18:49

Latest correspondence with Tesco:

Sent: 24 January 2012 12:25
To: Coats, Gloria
Subject: New Tesco store promised for Thurso, Caithness

Dear Gloria

As you will see from the email chain I have been trying to get an answer from Tesco regarding the situation regarding the proposed new store for Thurso.

Douglas Wilson and the CEO's office have advised that you are the person dealing with this matter; can you provide any update on the current situation regarding the proposed new store for Thurso.

The last public pronouncement from Tesco was that the store would be open in Spring 2011, here we are at nearly Spring 2012 with work not even started. I am aware that Planning Permission expired in August 2011, and I am becoming convinced that this is simply cynical "land banking" by what is in effect a monopoly business in Caithness. Please set my mind at rest and provide the timescales for the eagerly awaited development in Thurso.

Kind regards

Nick Noble

Dear Nick,

Thank you for your email regarding our planned new store at the Auction Mart site in Thurso. As you will be aware, the Auction Mart site is the location of our planned new Tesco store and as part of these plans our current store in the town would be sold. Our existing store remains on the commercial property market through our nationwide property agents Eric Young and Co.

We are committed to the town and our existing store remains popular with customers. The local area is also home to a great number of our suppliers.

We don't currently have an update on the timescales for construction of our planned new store, but I will make an announcement to the community and local stakeholders as soon as I have timescales confirmed.

Best regards

Gloria

Gloria Coats

Corporate Affairs Manager

Corporate & Legal Affairs | Tesco plc

Hoida
17-Feb-12, 19:09
It is a yes from me. Tesco have it all their own way at present.:)

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 19:11
Nick,

I agree with what you are saying m8 when you sent your correspondence to Tesco, but what you have recieved back is just a load of gibberish. I hope to have you on board when we the people get the store we want and need. It will bring people into Thurso and surley that can only be a good thing

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 19:13
Thank you for your support Hoida

Nick Noble
17-Feb-12, 19:18
Nick,

I agree with what you are saying m8 when you sent your correspondence to Tesco, but what you have recieved back is just a load of gibberish. I hope to have you on board when we the people get the store we want and need. It will bring people into Thurso and surley that can only be a good thing

Of course I know it's a load of gibberish, that is what major corporations do when they don't want to admit the truth. They have no intention of building.

I would dearly love to see a major supermarket in Thurso to offer some competion to Tesco that is sorely needed. That way the might actually be slightly more reasonable with the prices.

I will do anything I can to help anyone that wants to try and get Asda or anyone else into Thurso, I have recently written to Asda to see if they are interested in looking here again, I wish you luck with your efforts.

Remember though what I said, currently there is nowhere to build a supermarket other than the Mart site, and Tesco own that site.

Good luck!

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 19:45
Thanks for the reply Nick.
I for one want to get this project off the ground. I know that there are a lot of people who feel the same which is a good thing. Yes ok Tesco owns the Mart site and have done nothing with it. I would be interested to know what reply you have had from Asda.
I know that this could be a long shot about land that could be used for Asda but how does this sound and I don't know if it has been talked about, there was land that was going to be used to build houses by Tulloch just by the business park just outside of Thurso.
I await your reply and see what you think m8

Kodiak
17-Feb-12, 19:48
I would love to see another Major Supermarket open in Thurso. I would not worry if it were ASDA or Sainsbury's just as long it is a company who could give Teso some competition.

Rheghead
17-Feb-12, 20:40
I hate shopping so I say NO!

Nick Noble
17-Feb-12, 20:41
I hate shopping so I say NO!

But you love eating and drinking...

Edna
17-Feb-12, 20:44
I would love to have an Asda up here, their clothes are well priced and good quality. I have no faults with their food either. I know a lot of people from Thurso travel through to
Tesco's in Wick, i think it would be good for Thurso to have an Asda, plus it would bring more jobs to the town.

Rheghead
17-Feb-12, 20:45
But you love eating and drinking...

Yes but I can get what I want from existing outlets. Why have another cathedral to consumerism?

suth13
17-Feb-12, 20:45
Its a big yes from me.

Alrock
17-Feb-12, 20:47
They should close Miller Academy, 2 Primary schools is more than enough for Thurso, & build a supermarket there....

2little2late
17-Feb-12, 20:53
Here we go again. These Asda/Tesco debates are soooooooooooooooooooooo boring. 'nuff said.

Rufas
17-Feb-12, 20:59
Would you love a decent shop that's called Asda that gives you value for money and also decent petrol prices. That's all I am trying to do

golach
17-Feb-12, 21:19
Asda-Walmart a decent shop? I have never heard it called that before. Walmart is an American conglomerate, who have a worse reputation than Tesco, for blocking out competition. I am lucky in Edinburgh, I have a choice of many of these supermarket giants, I can choose between Tesco, 10 mins bus ride away, Asda 20 mins bus ride to 2 shops, Sainsburys, a 10 min walk, and Morrisons a 15 min bus ride. I shop more often in my Scot Mid Co-op a 5 min walk away.

Before I decide where to shop I consult http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ compare the prices then shop accordingly

2little2late
17-Feb-12, 21:20
Trouble is that won't happen. We are in the far north of Scotland don't forget.

cra85
17-Feb-12, 21:54
I may be wrong here but is the site not owned by the development company, not tescos?

Phill
17-Feb-12, 22:12
It's a "no" from me too.

How many "cheap" shops do we need?

How much more do we have to spend on mostly mass produced goods, low nutritional value crisps, soft drinks, cup cakes, fatty fast foods etc?

How much more food do we have to either throw away, eat and get unfit or make us crave for more?

Seems to me these "foods" are mostly and deliberately addictive.

People shout about having choice, low prices etc., whereas, if we shopped sensibly, bought only the amount of good nutritious food that we need, taught people how to prepare decent meals with decent fresh ingredients and only eat what they need to feed their brains and bodies to a fit standard.

Nowadays we have more choice than ever; a choice of varied, fresh locally produced meat and vegetables, eggs etc., on our doorstep. It is time that schools, parents etc., made a big effort to feed our future teachers, builders etc., with decent meals instead of the rubbish that some kids seem to live on with "treats" every day; from mothers, fathers, grannies, and from friends.

These "super" markets are only after your money; contrive to get you to use their store cards so that you are fooled into thinking you are getting a good deal and getting you to buy things that are totally unecessary on a daily basis and fill your freezers with mass produced rubbish that fools you into thinking they are delicious and value for money.

Some people don't know the taste of good food because their palates have been bombarded with ready made meals which are massed produced with questionable ingredients and loaded with salt, chemicals etc., to make them seem tasty and coated in "breadcrumbs" which has never seen an oven.

Yes, takeaways from the Chinese, Indian and chip shops can be tasty once in a while but not every week, some every day!

We don't need the big shops; we need to eat and drink better food value meals and only what we require to remain healthy. The children especially need their palates to taste real good value food to be able to make sensible choices to feed their brains, muscles and minds.

Locally farmed food (meat, dairy and veg) would go a long way to providing these ingredients and farmers would benefit from having a decently priced market where they would sell their produce for a decent profit.

Just think how much of the profits of those big supermarkets is spent on encouraging us to shop with them; the cost of producing their cards, the leaflets etc., needed to advertise them, the fancy custom made containers to house them in, the flyers either sent through the post or delivered by your postie, the ceiling high magnificent coloured posters covering the wall and the eco windmills erected on their roofs to save the world!

Just think how much it costs them to produce these "money saving" cards, offers etc.

How much does it cost them for the amount of staff needed to serve us, restock, clean up and deliver their shoddy goods.

How much do the buildings cost to be insured, heated and maintained? How much are the high flyers in charge of the decision making earning in large bonuses, salaries etc? And what percentage are the shareholders gobbling greedily?

Ban all supermarkets I say!!!!! :lol:

P.S. There aren't any smilies for a madwoman!Absobloominlutely!!

:D:D

Deffo dinnea want an AsboAsda's.

Support yer local shops and learn t' cook, show yer kids how t'cook.

I don't get it. You really want more trucks holding up the traffic on the A9?
You really want to complain about more boarded up shops in the town?
You really want to see the local economy go to shite even more by sending your hard earned off to the US?

Rheghead
17-Feb-12, 22:36
Stop supermarket bullying by lobbying your MP to support the introduction of a supermarket watchdog. Follow the link.

http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/biodiversity/press_for_change/supermarket_bullying_34636.html#.TyA8NeskXt4.faceb ook

Kenn
17-Feb-12, 23:56
With the likely hood of the population within the county having fallen when the census figures come out, I doubt that any supermarket chain would be looking to move this far north in the present economic climate.
I'm more inclined to agree with Torvaig, there is excellent local produce available and cooking is not an art form, it's a simple skill to acquire if you do not take the route of poor quality food that is massed produced.
The town neither needs or warrants yet another supertmarket as far as I can see.

Torvaig
18-Feb-12, 00:07
Absobloominlutely!!

:D:D

Deffo dinnea want an AsboAsda's.

Support yer local shops and learn t' cook, show yer kids how t'cook.

I don't get it. You really want more trucks holding up the traffic on the A9?
You really want to complain about more boarded up shops in the town?
You really want to see the local economy go to shite even more by sending your hard earned off to the US?

I'm afraid many folks are more interested in the "much cheapness" of the big supermarkets, the lure of 3 for the price of 2 whether they need it or not. The lure of shiny packaging and the quick fix for the taste buds than down to earth, honest, healthy food. I think that many now look on a family trip to the supermarket as a great day out and a chance to get rid of the money burning a hole in their pockets.

Dadie
18-Feb-12, 00:56
I would love a big ASDA as I must be in a minority in liking the clothing for kids....I also think it would give TESCOSa run for their money in the pricing wars which would reduce my shopping bill by a fair bit with the competition on the doorstep so to speak.....thats not to say I wont use the local butchers I like or lidls too though it will give more choice!Oh I can and do cook most meals from scratch...sometimesgetting the ingredients is difficult though..
And yes all my kids help/hinder me in the kitchen learning as they go..at 5,3 and 2 they all participate in the mealtimes....and preparation....

Corrie 3
18-Feb-12, 10:13
I would love a big ASDA as I must be in a minority in liking the clothing for kids.......
Dadie, I use Asda on-line for everything (not food obviously) and they have some great lines in clothing and stuff for the home. What I also like is their Delivery charges are the best I have ever known for the Highlands!!! If you haven't seen their site on-line it's well worth a look!!!

C3....................:):)

jaykay
18-Feb-12, 13:04
It is a yes from me?

cas
18-Feb-12, 13:39
yes tesco need the competition

thoms83
18-Feb-12, 13:48
Yes from me! To be honest im not bothered about supermarkets but the eyesore that tesco has left in the middle of town is a disgrace. Tesco need to build or give up the land for other uses.

Torvaig
18-Feb-12, 13:55
I would love a big ASDA as I must be in a minority in liking the clothing for kids....I also think it would give TESCOSa run for their money in the pricing wars which would reduce my shopping bill by a fair bit with the competition on the doorstep so to speak.....thats not to say I wont use the local butchers I like or lidls too though it will give more choice!Oh I can and do cook most meals from scratch...sometimesgetting the ingredients is difficult though..
And yes all my kids help/hinder me in the kitchen learning as they go..at 5,3 and 2 they all participate in the mealtimes....and preparation....

Yes Dadie, I know that a lot of younger mums now include the kiddies in their meal planning and preparation and I think that the next generation will be very money and value savvy. As you say, getting the ingredients can be difficult without having to travel all over town and even to the country veg. and egg sources. Luckily those suppliers usually do delivery now but you have to have arrangements for when you are out.

Unfortunately people like you are in the minority and are out voted when it comes to depending on supermarkets. They have their place but not to the extent that they are used by a great majority. Anyway, thanks for your views Dadie. I will get down off my high horse now as I think I am fighting a losing battle! :)

kwbrown111
18-Feb-12, 15:47
We already had a petition for Asda with over 5000 signatures for and about 12 against it. No need to know which won, so the "tesco council" will ignore the majority and say no. Excuse was that it was green belt Asda was wanting to build on but i thought it was the best place. There is the business park already on green belt, so whats the difference between Asda and the business park getting to build on green belt.

Rufas
18-Feb-12, 19:10
Thank you for your comment kwbrown. I would like to get in touch with you so that we can get this project off the ground again. I totally agree with what you are saying with ref the Green Belt. If you would like to email me my email address is liklemonkey@tiscali.co.uk

Rufas
18-Feb-12, 19:30
Thanks for your comments and support Dadie its very much appreciated. Fingers crossed you never know people power may win. I will keep you updated

mcintyre01
19-Feb-12, 01:05
Thurso needs asda!!!! no one really shops in thurso anymore they all go to wick we need it and plus asda is well better than tesco

warrenl
19-Feb-12, 11:22
It's a Yes from me

Kenn
19-Feb-12, 11:45
They all go to Wick mcintyre01?
I certainly do not, I can source what I want in Thurso and with the cost of fuel it makes crossing the county more expensive and know that many of my acquaintance take the same view.

Mystical Potato Head
19-Feb-12, 13:25
They all go to Wick mcintyre01?
I certainly do not, I can source what I want in Thurso and with the cost of fuel it makes crossing the county more expensive and know that many of my acquaintance take the same view.

Perhaps not everyone is in such a favourable position as you and your friends to be able to afford a cross country expedition to get the goods they require,regardless of cost.
Some people have no choice but to buy the cheapest,its all they can afford.

Bobinovich
19-Feb-12, 14:24
It's a yes from me too, if for no other reason than to bring cheaper fuel to Thurso, but more choice & competition for Tesco wouldn't go amiss either. I'm fortunate enough to have to go to Wick once every 3 - 4 weeks for work so can fill up my car in Tesco, but it would be nice to have something closer to home. I'll continue to support local shops, butchers & bakers for fresh produce though, but I find it very convenient being able to pick up the vast majority of my fortnightly shopping in one place.

gerry4
19-Feb-12, 15:14
Lets not be too hard on the supermarkets. How much more expensive was your petrol before Tesco's came along. Their petrol is still more expensive because they do local price matching. With another supermarket the price may come down even more.
We are your local Veg shops or deli's? IF in some fantasy world tesco's, the Co-Op, Lidels, left and these shops did open, how much more expensive would your things be? Everyone would be complaining about the cost of living and saying they can't afford to live here.

With unemployment so high and wages so low, most folks here can't afford to pay some of the prices the local shops would & do charge.

The biggest threat to local shops in my view is On-Line shopping. How many of you go to the local shops to buy your Christmas toys, I am excluding Argos because that is like Tesco's. Not many of you. Most people here would be buying off the net and having it delivered direct.

billy5000
19-Feb-12, 15:54
yes from me as anythings gotta be better than watching tesco rise thier prices every couple of weeks

Baconbuttie
19-Feb-12, 20:08
Yes from me. Tesco seem to get all their own way with Highland Council and ASDA dont get a look in, the good news is that ASDA will be open late summer in Inverness so once more shoppers will be spending money outwith the county. What is so wrong with having Tesco in Wick and ASDA in Thurso? Plenty of jobs for the locals in a big store and the local shopkeepers need to pull their socks up. Petrol cheaper in Wick than Thurso due to Tesco. I dont think Dunnets Garage buy their petrol any cheaper in Wick but they can sell it cheaper than they do in Thurso. The banners say spend it here so give us somewhere to spend it so we stay home more.

Sinclair7
20-Feb-12, 16:23
The fact of the matter is the new Tesco in Wick has never performed as well as they expected it to, hence they'll never build another store in the county. If Asda were serious about opening up here they would have taken the mart site when they had the chance, but they didn't, as they know as well as Tesco do that this county has about 10 more years before it suffers a slow and painful economic death. The investment isn't worth it for them.

To answer the OP's question though, I'd take an Aldi over an Asda any day of the week. A budget supermarket price war would make far more of a difference to people's pockets.

tonkatojo
20-Feb-12, 16:32
The fact of the matter is the new Tesco in Wick has never performed as well as they expected it to, hence they'll never build another store in the county. If Asda were serious about opening up here they would have taken the mart site when they had the chance, but they didn't, as they know as well as Tesco do that this county has about 10 more years before it suffers a slow and painful economic death. The investment isn't worth it for them.

To answer the OP's question though, I'd take an Aldi over an Asda any day of the week. A budget supermarket price war would make far more of a difference to people's pockets.

That dying death might come sooner if a certain Mr Salmond has his way. But I do agree with you assessment with the budget stores.

mi16
20-Feb-12, 20:26
It will be closer to 8 years when the big downturn will occur.

newweecroft
20-Feb-12, 21:47
I would love to see a true 'Co-op' not the supermarket co op but a true co op. Like Made in caithness but for food, Grown in Caithness!Any crofter could sell their wares straight from the soil or abbattoir, or budding cooks from the kitchen to the co op who then mark up and sell to the consumer.All you need is require a copy of the EHO certificate and BFH for the produce from a kitchen. Meat is safe as long as it is delivered by Munro's themselves, who also do the butchering.I get fed up of seeing the butchers in town bring out a tray of commersially barn raised chicken breasts from the cash and carry down south, I would rather buy a pack that is guarenteed free range and corn fed from a supermarket any day.Pork and lamb are easy to buy from local crofters direct which is great, but about a barter system?A co op could offer for example £2.50lb for a porker carcass cash or £3.00lb instore.If I had the capital to set such a store up I would do it, hopefully someone who has will read this and do so!

egregory
20-Feb-12, 21:50
Yes, yes, yes i would love a Asda, but not sure it will happen - but I am def in favour.

Kenn
21-Feb-12, 17:50
EH MPH?
I said that it does n't make economic sense for me to travel across the county with the current price of fuel, living on a fixed income makes me count every penny, the only thing I do have is time to look for the best buys and they are often not in the supermarkets.

cezzy1234
23-Feb-12, 16:03
hi you have 2 yeses from me and my mum

mi16
23-Feb-12, 16:16
I wonder how the OP is getting on with their hiding to nothing

Koi
26-Feb-12, 01:55
Was in an asda in 2008. Went in with my partner to get some lunch while travelling. Wasn't anything special , just another supermarket. We use lidls mostly and small amount from tesco usually just cat food.

I agree with a a few posters on here that say we don't need it. I too have seen the spend it here banners and i know about the spend it in caithness cards. But i do have to agree and say give me a reason to. Online shopping is cheaper and easier. As a parent of a small child its easier for me to do shopping online than go out with my child and chase around for a few hours trying to get something. I also don't have much spare time so needs to be quick and easy. Even when i am in a shop and found something i'm looking for i will still get my phone out and find out if its cheaper online. 9/10 its alot cheaper online.

For food shopping we buy our meat from the butchers, and everything else but cat food from lidls. We make most of our meals from scratch as its important to look after your body and your family. I buy alot of fruit as my son and I eat alot of it. I find lidls fruit and veg last that bit longer and is cheaper. I go in with my list and come out with everything on my list. If i see any interesting offers on stuff we use or eat i check it out and sometimes buy but most often i don't.

For the asda in thurso i think it would be daft, stupid and would not happen. There are 3 supermarkets in thurso why do we need a fourth? Don't you all remember the drama when tesco came here and everyone was raving about it? Would be the same about asda. Everyone would be singing its praises untill the novelty wore of and you saw they were just like the other supermarkets.

I've worked in 2 supermarkets and i do feel that everyone is very similar hence why i just don't get why everyone wants asda. You'll all use it at first but soon get bored when the novelty wore of and start complaining about their prices going up.

So its a no from me.

jim baxter
26-Feb-12, 14:05
An Iceland or Farmfoods would be better, Asda would be ok but haveing something different would be better.

sid222
26-Feb-12, 16:35
its a yes from me

JimH
26-Feb-12, 19:24
We have them all down here, and Asda in Norwich is awfull. I've seen cleaner farm yards, and the shop was chaotic. All the folks that are having a go at Tesco - would they build anything at the moment. NO of course not. It will be done, but when they are ready. When Jack Cohen formed T E Stockwell & Co he had some idea when to do whatever.

Big Gaz
26-Feb-12, 19:52
Although i preferred shopping in ASDA when living in Central Scotland, i just don't think there is custom for an ASDA supermarket in Thurso (or even Caithness for that matter). 25000 population of Caithness (give or take) with 7000 each in Thurso and Wick just doesn't leave much custom for them to bother with. Tesco should get their finger out ofc and make the move to the new site but then what would happen to the old site? certainly won't be another supermarket there, there never is with Tesco's empty sites having clauses in leases and sale arrangements etc. So as much as it would be nice, i can't see it happening

madmissus
27-Feb-12, 23:21
Well Rufas, like I've said to you already I am all for an Asda here but having read all the postings to date, and considering we are in a recession I can't see them coming any time soon. Will just have to make do wiv trips down to Elgin, and wherever else is nearer. Good luck wiv your quest, and I will be first to toast you if and when they come!!!

FLUFFRA
28-Feb-12, 19:08
Massive YES from me ........