PDA

View Full Version : 7 new shops in wick

bacardibabe
28-Dec-04, 17:32
lets hope the planning permission goes through.100 jobs.homebase argos lets hope it happens.

gravedigga
28-Dec-04, 17:45
Aye and if it doesn't we'll know it's the council holding things back

daviddd
28-Dec-04, 17:53
don't wanna sound negative but if new jobs are created in these new shops won't it displace jobs in other local shops that might lose business. Unless folk start shopping more locally rather than going to Inverness that is, but I'm not sure how likely this is. Moreover, if business is lost in the town centre it may start to look more like a ghost town with boarded-up shops - this has happened so many times elsewhere as shops go out of town. The Wetherspoons move to Wick is exceptional in this respect, but they do make a point of seeking out old, disused town centre buildings - good for them I say.

captain chaos
28-Dec-04, 20:33
[quote]don't wanna sound negative but if new jobs are created in these new shops won't it displace jobs in other local shops that might lose business. Unless folk start shopping more locally rather than going to Inverness that is, but I'm not sure how likely this is.

Okay but there is no decent sized DIY shop in Wick (okay there is Bridge End in Thurso),and with all the amount of goods shipped up to Caithness in the back of a van from Argos ,we at least should have the employment here, rather than Inversnecky. What the other shops might be!! We will have to wait and see.

Money spent in Caithness, large chain shops and jobs it can’t all be negative.

Mr P Cannop
28-Dec-04, 20:44
I hope Wick gets these shops

luskentyre
28-Dec-04, 22:36
I think this has the potential to be the best thing to hit Wick for ages. The trend these days is for large, out of town stores - so I don't think we'll ever entice big businesses to our town centres.

Neither Homebase nor Argos would be likely to take custom away from the town, but would hopefully attract people from all over the county - as an alternative to going to Inverness.

It's really encouraging that someone has the confidence to invest that amount of money in our county town. This has the beginnings of making Caithness more self-sufficient, encouraging people to spend more money locally, instead of going to Inverness for every major purchase.

What other stores do people think would "work" up here (and not hit local firms)?

gravedigga
28-Dec-04, 23:23
Here here luskentyre i totally agree, i think something like this can only be good for the town. It's exactly what we need to breathe new life in to the place and stop people moaning about there being nothing here.

It's bound to bring people through from Thurso and up from places like Helmsdale - as not everyone likes traipsing round bigger places like Inverness.

squidge
28-Dec-04, 23:44
Absolutely this is just what is needed in Wick. Jobs. Hopefully there will be full time jobs and support and training for those who need to dust up on their skills for applying. I would like to see all jobs go through your local jobcentre and i would also like to see a commitment from the companies to take and train unemployed people in many jobs

At last maybe the tide is turning

Bengal
29-Dec-04, 12:30
I definitely agree to more shops opening in Wick specially if it will create more jobs and boost economy! People are moving out of town to Inverness, Aberdeen, and Glasgow etc to find work. After Uni I moved back home to Wick to find work, but I was told I was over qualified to be a life guard and under qualified to be a sports development officer! So my sports degree was wasted at BT Internet! I had no option but to leave Wick to find work else where which was a pity. I’m 200 miles away from my family.

It is becoming a town to either raise children or to retire, there seems to be nothing for the in between part. Don’t get me wrong I love Wick and I loved staying there. But everything prosperous seems to be closing, down, Caithness Glass, possibly the down grading of the Maternity unit etc what next!!...... If these larger outlet stores were to open up in Wick this would most certainly boost economy, as well as give people the opportunity to start a new career.

wick_boy
29-Dec-04, 15:22
There testing the ground up beside lidls for these shops now.

wicker
29-Dec-04, 16:58
well i think its absolutely fanstastic for caithness not just wick but the whole of caithness and sutherland asweill i guess that this development is coming. Its a proper boost for the whole of the community and for business's already here aswell. If this comes into place it will attract other things to the community aswell, we have had our fair bit of bad times so things can only get better from here on in now surely.

Caledonia
30-Dec-04, 01:36
luskentyre>

I agree entirely with your post.

Argos and Homebase in Wick would really bring a lot of trade to Wick generally.

An enormous number of Caithness folk troll to Inverness for shopping.

What you need now is a Marks and Sparks!

;)

friendlymel
31-Dec-04, 09:46
:D i agree as wick was lacking shops and some of them closing it meant we had to either go to thurso or inverness so i agree and it would also save doing the journey to inverness

mysophales
03-Jan-05, 18:18
The rumour mill has been busy again.

I hear that the Tesco rumoured for Thurso,
has grown arms and legs and is now turned into
a 24 hour Tesco with filling station to be built in Wick !!!!

katarina
05-Jan-05, 21:31
But when is some one going to do something with that eyesore - the old Pavilion Cinema? If i ever win the lottery, I would rebuild it and put it to its origonal use once more!

Goldfish
06-Jan-05, 00:18
I have just noticed in today's paper that "toymaster" has a closing down sale in their Thurso Shop. I hope this is not the start that Wick has suffered in recent years. [evil]

girnigoe
06-Jan-05, 00:22
Goldfish - I was horrified when I first read that as well but if you read the small print underneath it says "closing for refurbishment" (or something along that lines). So it will be re-opening.

catherine nicol
07-Jan-05, 14:25
I sincerely hope that they do open a Tesco and real soon.

I am somewhat disappointed in the new Somerfield store. It is considerably more expensive and if you forget your card when you go shopping then you miss out on the deals that are on that week and get quite a shock when you go to the cash desk.

A Tesco in Caithness would be fantastic, lets keep our fingers crossed. I for one will be a new customer to that store.

AR
07-Jan-05, 14:48
This thread started ' 7 new shops for Wick' What is the 7 shops? Argos, homebase, Christies99p and what else?

luskentyre
09-Jan-05, 13:20
I believe there's capacity for 7 units - however only Homebase and Argos are actually confirmed so far.