PDA

View Full Version : That Map!

pmcd
17-Feb-12, 01:02
In their historic meeting today, Scotland's First Minister showed that he knew the nature of good manners by sitting opposite the UK Prime Minister, giving said PM the splendid sight of the Buffoon from Brigadoon attempting to lord it a bit, with a large electoral map of Scotland right over his head. A map which clearly showed the huge tracts of votes (well over 25%) amassed by the SNP at the last election, and of course the fact that the Conservative party had only managed to scrape a 3 cornered stool in some benighted corner of Caledonia. A map which was deliberately and pettily right in Mr. Cameron's face.

I'm looking forward to the return visit. The PM of the current (last time I looked) United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland should fly Salmond down in a chartered Jumbo jet, do the full honours (red carpet, band of the Grenadier Guards, etc, and waft him off to bi-lateral talks (in the manner of a state visit) and hold a banquet in his honour (white tie, of course) at the Guildhall. And invite the Press Corps, BBC, etc.

The SNP will be surprised at the VIP treatment given to their leader. (Let's face it, his grandstanding today was only outpaced by his smugness). But the reaction of the Scot in the street to footage of Mr. Cameron seen to be in cahoots with their First Minister (dressed up to the nines, red carpet etc.), will turn in their stomachs. (Remember Gordon Brown used to wear a lounge suit to the Guildhall until his advisors, at gunpoint, forced him into a penguin suit.) Good manners is sooooooo easy!

The trouble with power is that it always gets given to the wrong people. Just look at the Republican hopefuls for the next US Presidency, the political repository and seat of the wisdom derived from the US Constitution, and ask yourself - would you give any job north of a burger flipper to any of these twits?

We've got over two years of Referendum posturing before whatever the question (s) gets asked to whoever the question (s) get asked to. I just hope this magnificent country enjoys the shadow-boxing, the babooning, and the sheer comedy of it all. Otherwise only the Samaritans will do well.......

squidge
17-Feb-12, 09:38
The map made me laugh laugh laugh. I thought David Cameron looked awful sweaty yesterday though. Was it warm in Edinburgh? At least he had something coherent to say about the union. The unionist politicians in Scotland should take note. They need to get their act together and come up with a coherent strategy or they will lose the referendum through their incompetent muttering.

golach
17-Feb-12, 10:19
I thought David Cameron looked awful sweaty yesterday though. Was it warm in Edinburgh? At least he had something coherent to say about the union. .
Squidge it was 12c in Auld Reekie yesterday a very balmy day, I enjoyed seeing and hearing Mr Cameron, he made a lot of good points. not like Oor Eck, smug faced, blustering Braveheart policied .

RecQuery
17-Feb-12, 10:38
David Cameron - notice how I don't use childish nicknames or insults as I would just come off as being bitter and resentful - sounded like former Conservative Prime Minister Lord Alec Douglas-Home did back in 1979. With his 'jam tomorrow' talk that was never honoured:

The campaign for a "no" vote was much helped by an assurance by former Prime Minister Lord Home of the Hirsel that a future Conservative Government would introduce legislation which would meet the objections. This pledge, made by Lord Home in a personal capacity, was not honoured by the Conservatives when they came to power a few months later.

In the Scottish devolution referendum... Douglas-Home had no authority to give such an assurance, and in fact, Margaret Thatcher's government introduced no Assembly at all for Scotland, instead repealing the legislation that resulted from the referendum.

I'm also glad someone on the other side (bonus that it was David Cameron) finally said:

My argument is very simple, I’m not saying that Scotland couldn’t make it on her own, of course Scotland could, just as England could but I dearly hope that this doesn’t happen.

pig whisperer
17-Feb-12, 11:43
walking past a news stand the other day the daily mail stated that a lot of the contracts for the new bridge had gone to companies without the uk, surely the SNP should be helping companies in Scotland, Salmond also talks of independence from England but want to weld himself to Europe, Iceland, & any other country that isnt England Sounds like the T shirts that say 'I support any team thats playing England'

Gronnuck
17-Feb-12, 14:49
walking past a news stand the other day the daily mail stated that a lot of the contracts for the new bridge had gone to companies without the uk, surely the SNP should be helping companies in Scotland, Salmond also talks of independence from England but want to weld himself to Europe, Iceland, & any other country that isnt England Sounds like the T shirts that say 'I support any team thats playing England'

European law necessitates tenders be invited from across the EU. So we could have any number of companies involved in building the new bridge and none of them from the UK never mind Scotland. There's nothing Wee Eck can do about it.

Corrie 3
17-Feb-12, 17:26
I enjoyed seeing and hearing Mr Cameron, he made a lot of good points.
What, like giving us more power if we don't vote for Independence?
Oh c'mon Golach, even you wouldn't be taken in by the Tories...
would you?...
would you?....
Err...you would wouldn't you?
More fool you Golach!!

C3.................:eek::roll:;)