PDA

View Full Version : Luke Skipper, and a' that

David Banks
16-Feb-12, 02:40
What is the local sentiment on the part being played by Luke Skipper in the SNP?

Previously, it has been suggested to me that I had no place commenting on the subject of independence or other political matters affecting Scotland.

I also wonder what would be an acceptable definition of a Caithnessian, a Scotsman or a Canadian.

Alrock
16-Feb-12, 02:58
I also wonder what would be an acceptable definition of a Caithnessian, a Scotsman or a Canadian.

There is none, it is purely subjective.

squidge
16-Feb-12, 10:38
No collective viewpoint expressed here either, just me and my big gob.

If Luke Skipper is living in Scotland then he has as much right to a voice as I do, an english woman living in scotland. Or my friend Don, a South African who lives here, or my friend Joanna, a polish girl living here and so on and so on. In addition he is employed by the SNP so you would expect that he will do his job whether he lives here or in London in the same way as David Cameron will do his job when he arrives on Thursday. Anyone anywhere in the world is entitled to an opinion but the only people who should be voting and who should therefore have the final say are the people of Scotland. Those of us living here.

golach
16-Feb-12, 10:43
. but the only people who should be voting and who should therefore have the final say are the people of Scotland. Those of us living here.

But Squidge, where is it written in Tablets of stone that Eck is going to let, non Scots vote on this neverendum, nothing has been decided yet, so just because you live in Scotland may not mean you will get a vote.

squidge
16-Feb-12, 22:52
But Squidge, where is it written in Tablets of stone that Eck is going to let, non Scots vote on this neverendum, nothing has been decided yet, so just because you live in Scotland may not mean you will get a vote.

Ooooooooooooh golach - thats naughty!!!!! did someone whisper "scaremongering"? It may not be written in Stone but

The SNP government proposes that the vote should be open to British and Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland and armed forces or civil service personnel serving in the UK or overseas.
But its referendum consultation document published last month also states that citizens of EU countries resident in Scotland should also be allowed to participate, a category that is denied a vote in UK general elections.
The Scottish Government has adopted that approach on the basis that it was the format used when Scotland went to the polls in 1997 for the devolution referendum.

from http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/uk/scottish_independence_60_000_from_eu_get_vote_on_s cots_split_1_2097653

I have absolutely no worries at all that my right to vote as an Englishwoman living in Scotland will be denied. There has been NOTHING to suggest that I wont be able to vote and there is nothing in the recent history of the SNP to suggest they will be basing the right to vote on ethnicity and not residence.

golach
16-Feb-12, 23:38
Ooooooooooooh golach - thats naughty!!!!! did someone whisper "scaremongering"? .

Squidge you know Moi, better than that [lol] I suspect by the time Eck gets ready with the Neverendum, the goalposts will have been moved and your two youngest, will be eligible to vote, thats how desperate he will be for votes [lol]