PDA

View Full Version : Helen Green 1822 - 1881 Wick, Oag, McBeath, Farqhuar, Sinclair, Corner, Innes

daval57
16-Feb-12, 00:00
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.
My name is Dave Forrest.
Some of you may know me, or had contact with me previously in relation to my research of my family tree, perhaps through other genealogical forums or directly through my family tree site on tribal Pages.
I've been researching my family online now for about 6 years. How I've missed this forum until now is beyond me. Looks good and and a quick browse through some of the topics tells me that there are bound to be some common connections to our families out there.
Below is a very brief outline of my direct Caithness line that I've been able to trace so far.
Helen Green is where my connection to Caithness begins. She is my great great grandmother who married William Anderson, Moray 1821 - 1891 in Wick in April 1841.

I have many more blood relatives connected to those named below on my tree, such as other children of the marriages, and I'll be happy to share the info with anyone else who may be related to me my blood. I hope that any contact will also allow me to add to my ancestry.

I have a backlog of emails to respond to at the moment so it may be a while before I can reply in detail to anyone that contacts me. However, I DO reply and am always happy to receive new contacts.

Look forward to talking to you all on this forum from time to time.

Dave

1. Helen GREEN. Born on Jun 24 1822 in Wick. Helen died on Feb 01 1881 in Glasgow.

Parents

2. James GREEN. Born in 1786 in Canisbay Caithness Scotland. James died on Feb 27 1843 in Wick; he was 57.

On Mar 18 1814, when James was 28, he married Isabella OAG.

They had one child ...

i.
Helen GREEN (http://daveforrest.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daveforrest&view=70&reporttype=0&pid=92#ahnen_1_) (1822 - 1881)

3. Isabella OAG. Born on Jan 06 1794 in Thrumster Caithness. Isabella died on May 15 1873 in Thrumster; she was 79.

Grandparents

4. John GREEN. Born in 1765 in Caithness? Scotland.

6. George OAG. Born on Mar 29 1759 in Thrumster Caithness Scotland.

On Dec 29 1783, when George was 24, he married Elizabeth MCBEATH.

They had one child ...

i.
Isabella OAG (http://daveforrest.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daveforrest&view=70&reporttype=0&pid=92#ahnen_3_) (1794 - 1873)

7. Elizabeth MCBEATH. Born on Sep 21 1759 in Wick, Cathness.

G Grandparents

12. Alexander OAG. Born on Mar 25 1733 in WICK Caithness Scotland. Alexander died in 1804 in Wick; he was 70.

In 1760, when Alexander was 26, he married Elspet FARQUHAR.

They had one child ...

i.
George OAG (http://daveforrest.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daveforrest&view=70&reporttype=0&pid=92#ahnen_6_) (b.1759)

13. Elspet FARQUHAR. Born on Aug 28 1737 in Wick. Elspet died in 1812 in Kinloss, Morayshire; she was 74.

14. James MCBEATH.

James married Jean SINCLAIR.

They had one child ...

i.
Elizabeth MCBEATH (http://daveforrest.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daveforrest&view=70&reporttype=0&pid=92#ahnen_7_) (b.1759)

15. Jean SINCLAIR.

GG Grandparents

24. George OAG. Born in 1710 in Caithness Scotland?.

On Nov 06 1735, when George was 25, he married Katherine CORNER.

They had one child ...

i.
Alexander OAG (http://daveforrest.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daveforrest&view=70&reporttype=0&pid=92#ahnen_12_) (1733 - 1804)

25. Katherine CORNER. Born on Oct 25 1717 in Sarclet.

GGG Grandparents

50. James CORNER. Born in 1680.

James married Katherine INNES.

They had one child ...

i.
Katherine CORNER (http://daveforrest.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daveforrest&view=70&reporttype=0&pid=92#ahnen_25_) (b.1717)

51. Katherine INNES. Born in 1686.

sylviaj
18-Feb-12, 11:50
Hi Dave
I think we have communicated before..

The HELEN GREEN you have is the sister of my ggg grandmother ELISABETH GREEN b1815 married to JAMES DURRAND b1810 .

Do you have any information on Elisabeth as she is the brick wall I have hit. I am looking for her Death Certificate I think she died between 1856 and 1867.

She was in Glasgow on the 1851 Census in OSWALD STREET.

Thanks

Sylvia Durrand

daval57
18-Feb-12, 20:27
Hi Sylvia,
I'm afraid I was never able to find Elisabeth's death either. Tried various newspaper sites for obits as well as the obvious searches on Scotlands People.
You're welcome to have a look through my site http://daval57.tribalpages.com/
If you don't have access to it, just send a request via the site and I'll open it up to you.

Dave

Peterd500
19-Feb-12, 11:05
Hi Dave

In my database I have links made by someone else who says that James GREEN, who married Isabel OAG and had a daughter Elizabeth GREEN born 1815 who married James DURRAND, was the son of John GREEN 1757 & Elizabeth GROAT, John being the son of James GREEN & Margaret GROAT. I haven't researched the GREEN line for myself so I have no idea how valid it is but it is something for you to consider because you have your Helen GREEN with similar parents marrying William ANDERSON instead.

Either there were two couples called James GREEN & Isabel/Isabella OAG who both had a daughter Elizabeth GREEN or there are two Elizabeth GREEN with only one being the daughter of James GREEN and Isabel OAG. How do you determine that your Elizabeth who married William ANDERSON was the daughter of James GREEN & Isabella OAG? I notice that you only have a father for James, not a mother, so I presume you are not sure about the connection to the John GREEN you have settled on as the father born 1765.

The data in my database that isn't by me also says that James GREEN & Margaret GROAT had a son James GREEN (=Elspet/Helen/Ellen GEDDES) whose son Walter GREEN married Margaret SUTHERLAND.

I am accurate about Walter and Margaret because of my interest in Margaret's SINCLAIR ancestry and have been in touch with some of their descendants. They were married 1815 at Wick parish.

Margaret SUTHERLAND was the daughter of John SUTHERLAND & Isabella SINCLAIR, daughter of Helen BREMNER & Robert SINCLAIR, son of Donald SINCLAIR the sailor, son of David SINCLAIR of Broynach, &c.

Walter GREEN's 1860 death registration says that he was the son of James GREEN & Helen GEDDES, the informant being his son-in-law, Donald BAIN (married Ellen GREEN).

Margaret SUTHERLAND's 1874 death registration states that she was the daughter of John SUTHERLAND & Isabella SINCLAIR, the informant being Robert GREEN, her son.

Peter

Peterd500
19-Feb-12, 11:22
Hi Dave

If you are doing OAG then you've probably realised long before now that they connect here there and everywhere with other Caithness families at all periods. Following an OAG connection often ends up at a connection with one's own family tree somewhere along the line.

For example I have Alexander OAG and Elspet FARQUHAR's son Alexander OAG (=Margaret SUTHERLAND) with a daughter Janet Wemyss OAG who married Francis SINCLAIR. I am confident that Francis was the son of James SINCLAIR (=Catherine CRAIG), son of Francis SINCLAIR in Ulbster (=Elspet OAG/OGG) who was brother to Robert SINCLAIR whom I mentioned in my previous reply as the grandfather of Margaret SUTHERLAND who married Walter GREEN.

Where I come in is that I descend from the second marriage of James SINCLAIR the chamberlain who was brother to Francis SINCLAIR and Robert SINCLAIR.

Peter

Tricia
19-Feb-12, 19:54
Hi Peter - Hope you are well...

Just a quick note - Helen(not Elizabeth) Green m William Anderson ... Her sister Elizabeth m James Durrand.

Tricia.
Born a MORE (still looking for Margaret More or McKay who married 1744 David Sinclair)!

Mamie_2
07-Mar-12, 16:11
Helen's brother James married on of my 1C3R cousin's Bell Rosie d/o of George Rosie and Jean Laird.

I have the same ancestors for James Green (m Isabella Oag) that Peter has indicated on my family tree.

The Walter Green mentioned by Peter was one of the witnesses to the baptism of James and Isabella's daugther Elizabeth making it quite likely that they definitely are relateed.

Mamie