PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland/MacIntosh Thurso/Wick

Anonymous
09-Mar-01, 11:28
I have hit a brick wall. My ancestor Captain John Sutherland's parentage is a mystery. He was born C1786 served in the 3rd Foot or Buffs; married Catherine MacIntosh (dau of Rev. William MacIntosh of Thurso) in 1823 and was said to be a tacksman of Ulbster. Witnesses at the wedding were William Horn, Sheriff of Stircoke and Col. William Stewart. Capt Sutherland and his family came to Aust in 1839 were he was appointed Coroner. (Col. William Stewart also finished up in Aust and it was thought the two men were related. The only possible clue I have is the names of his children:

Christian after her mother

George James

William McIntosh after her father

Isabella Horn

Elizabeth Sage

Catherine

Any clues would be much appreciated

I was recently looking through a diary of a midwife of Thurso from 1786 to about 1830. (Ifound entries relating to the MacIntoshs and one for my Capt Sutherland).The film is available through the Mormon Library.

Hoping to hear from someone soon. Sorry it is so long.

Cheerio

Judi

Canberra

Australia

tommytoronto
23-Mar-05, 23:43
would be interested to find out the relationbetween these two men - I believe it does exist because william's mother was elizabet honre - who was married to william stewart snr. (her granddaughter elizabeth's obituary in the south durham and cleveland mercury mentions that she is the niece of col william stewart)

Tom