PDA

View Full Version : U.S.man ordered to wear "sex offender" T-shirt

sam
05-Nov-06, 14:00
A Delaware judge on Friday ordered a man who twice exposed himself to a 10-year-old girl at his workplace to wear a T-shirt with the words: "I am a registered sex offender" in bold letters, a prosecutor said.

Russell Teeter, 69, who pleaded guilty to two counts of indecent exposure, also was sentenced to 60 days in jail by Superior Court Judge Jan Jurden in Wilmington.
Deputy Attorney General Donald Roberts said he requested the unusual T-shirt punishment because he was concerned about Teeter exposing himself to children at the gardening business he runs with his wife.

"This is a unique way to let his customers know that he is a sex offender," Roberts told Reuters.

Roberts said Teeter had at least 10 prior convictions dating back to 1976 for exposing himself to children and had been diagnosed as a compulsive exhibitionist.

Teeter, who has 30 days to appeal the sentence, will have to wear the T-shirt at work for 22 months after he gets out of jail.
Teeter's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment.
I reckon all convicted criminals should be made to wear T-Shirts like this in all countries.

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 14:08
i would say all sex offenders should be branded with a hot poker oh their forehead[sex offender. beware][evil]

connieb19
05-Nov-06, 14:13
i would say all sex offenders should be branded with a hot poker oh their forehead[sex offender. beware][evil]What about the bloke who spent three years in jail for rape then was found to be innocent?

David from Stockport
05-Nov-06, 14:13
Il second that im more than happy that all criminals be branded on the forehead for all 2 see - gets a bit of a problem though when you get the career criminal with 172 previous convictions for various types of offences - we d run out of space on which to brand them!!!

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 16:18
What about the bloke who spent three years in jail for rape then was found to be innocent?tes connie i agree. it would have to be beyond doubt[the conviction]

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 16:21
Il second that im more than happy that all criminals be branded on the forehead for all 2 see - gets a bit of a problem though when you get the career criminal with 172 previous convictions for various types of offences - we d run out of space on which to brand them!!!yes david. but this is about sex crimes only.branded rapeist for rape, etc..:confused

percy toboggan
05-Nov-06, 16:31
Why give the yobs amongst us the chance to indulge in some pathetic kind of vengeance and dish out a good kicking to these indivisuals.
If a man has exposed himself to a ten year old (or anyone else) he is clearly sick in the head and should be kept out of harms way - almost permanently.

Any violent behaviour toward children should result in long, long jail terms, often indeterminate. To suggest visible branding panders to the knee jerk brigade, mostly the ones who'd thrust their knees into the offender's groin area. No, this is not a correct route. Though I admit it has appeal. Build more prisons. Restore captital punishment for the worst offenders. Sufficient justice, and we resist mob and yob vengeance. It's called 'civilisation'

golach
05-Nov-06, 16:34
Oh come on!!!!! We stopped Branding criminals in the 18th Century, have we not progressed since then?
You will be howling for the death penalty next, and going back to the Biblical times and stoning women who have been charged with Adultery, .... Get real we are in the 21st century not the dark ages, you have been watching too much of the Robin Hood series on TV.

connieb19
05-Nov-06, 16:35
tes connie i agree. it would have to be beyond doubt[the conviction]But aren't all convictions supposed to be without a doubt? :confused

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 16:44
But aren't all convictions supposed to be without a doubt? :confusedi would hope so. but alas we do have some smart and corrupt law folkes only ready to get them off the hook[this is the real world]

connieb19
05-Nov-06, 17:13
i would hope so. but alas we do have some smart and corrupt law folkes only ready to get them off the hook[this is the real world]
And in the real world there are innocent people convicted for crimes they did not commit.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6118544.stm

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 17:19
And in the real world there are innocent people convicted for crimes they did not commit.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6118544.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6118544.stm[/quote]yes) i agree connie. but im saying brand them only if it is beyond doubt:eek:

connieb19
05-Nov-06, 17:22
yes"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6118544.stm[/url] i agree connie. but im saying brand them only if it is beyond doubt:eek:[/quote]but what happens if it turns out they are innocent?

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 17:32
[/url] i agree connie. but im saying brand them only if it is beyond doubt:eek:but what happens if it turns out they are innocent?[/quote]can a person be convicted beyond doubt and then be innocent? take the fellow who raped the child after he took her from her bath then dumped her..how would u feel if you were that childs mother?

connieb19
05-Nov-06, 17:36
I would hope he'd be locked up for life, not branded.
How would you feel if you, or someone you know, was accused of rape and branded for something you didn't do?

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 17:41
I would hope he'd be locked up for life, not branded.
How would you feel if you, or someone you know, was accused of rape and branded for something you didn't do?connie if i was caught with my fingers in the till. do you agree that that is beyond doubt? and i am not innocent.:confused

connieb19
05-Nov-06, 17:44
connie if i was caught with my fingers in the till. do you agree that that is beyond doubt? and i am not innocent.:confused
No I asked how would you feel if you WERE innocent, but branded for life for something you didn't do?

martin macdonald
05-Nov-06, 17:52
No I asked how would you feel if you WERE innocent, but branded for life for something you didn't do?connie. i can see what your saying, but u cant be innocent if the crime is beyond doubt [caught with your fingers in the till] or red handed:eek:

scotsboy
05-Nov-06, 17:52
I've just finished reading Where there is Evil by Sandra Brown, a quite astonishing book.

sam
05-Nov-06, 17:55
I'm all for the naming & shaming, but i agree with you connie, it would have to be proved without a doubt that the person was guilty

mums angels
05-Nov-06, 22:47
I for one would like to know if i had a phedophile living in my neighbourhood....i welcome the day that sarahs law is enforced , megans law seems to help in america so why not here.

Billy Boy
05-Nov-06, 22:50
I couldnt agree more, parents should have the right to know if there is a phedophile living near them after all you cant be to carefull nowadays:(

Naefearjustbeer
06-Nov-06, 02:38
If there is no doubt of guilt then I think they should be shot. Pure and simple these scum should not be allowed to share the same air as the rest of us.

oldmarine
06-Nov-06, 04:20
A Delaware judge on Friday ordered a man who twice exposed himself to a 10-year-old girl at his workplace to wear a T-shirt with the words: "I am a registered sex offender" in bold letters, a prosecutor said.

Russell Teeter, 69, who pleaded guilty to two counts of indecent exposure, also was sentenced to 60 days in jail by Superior Court Judge Jan Jurden in Wilmington.
Deputy Attorney General Donald Roberts said he requested the unusual T-shirt punishment because he was concerned about Teeter exposing himself to children at the gardening business he runs with his wife.

"This is a unique way to let his customers know that he is a sex offender," Roberts told Reuters.

Roberts said Teeter had at least 10 prior convictions dating back to 1976 for exposing himself to children and had been diagnosed as a compulsive exhibitionist.

Ten prior convictions are a bit too much for getting the light sentence he got. That's my opinion.

squidge
06-Nov-06, 12:29
The problem with No Doubt is that it is always no doubt at the point of conviction. It seems that its only years down the line that the doubts actually appear. The Lesley Molseed case interests me because i remember it. Lesley Molseed lived about half a mile from where i grew up and i remember coming home from school on the bus - my friend and i being warned to stick together and not talk to anyone and not go with anyone. It was the first time that i really was aware of a murder and the first time i realised some people harmed a child in that way. I followed the story in the Manchester Evening News and on the TV and there was NO DOUBT that Stefan Kisko was guilty at the time. None whatsoever. I then followed the appeal with interest and was shocked to see the bumbling shell of a man emerge from 16 years of being branded as a child killer when it turned out he was innocent.

I found it shocking.

It polarised my views about capital punishment and the branding thing is the same -what if the person was innocent.

We talk very highly about DNA testing but what if in 20 years time we find that there was a problem or an anomaly in it that means that someone was innocent after all.

I dont beleive it is worth the risk i am afraid.

bluenose
06-Nov-06, 12:34
What was a ten year old doing in a work place?

changilass
06-Nov-06, 13:12
I hardly think that is the point[disgust]