PDA

View Full Version : Everything for nothing.

2little2late
14-Feb-12, 07:08
I put a post in the domestic appliances for sale. The item was a brand new fridge. Reasonably priced and open to offers. I had no offers for it. So I decided I would advertise it for free. And low and behold, I am inundated with takers for it. Well guess what? Nobody's getting it! Same old story up north. Everyone wants everything for nothing.

Kevin Milkins
14-Feb-12, 08:51
I'm looking for a brand new reasonably priced fridge.

Alrock
14-Feb-12, 09:00
Haier under counter 3 shelf fridge for sale. 55cm wide. Brand new, never been used. Reason for sale, fridge top was damaged on arrival but can hardly be seen when under counter. was going to cost as much as buying a new fridge to return to manufacturer. In mean time have bought other fridge. Cost £159.99 selling for £100.00 ONO.
Brora.

Now free.....................

The term "False Advertising" springs to mind here.... If you are going to advertise something for free then you should be prepared to honour that.

As for the reasonable price... The defect was obviously unacceptable to you so why should it have been acceptable to anyone else?
As for being inundated once it was free... There are loads of people out there believe it or not who don't have much money & are in need of a fridge of course they would be prepared to put up with the defect if it was free, maybe if you had just lowered the price a bit to a more reasonable level it would have sold.

hardcore superstar
14-Feb-12, 09:56
'open to offers' turns me right off a sale. as soon as i see that in an advert, i write it off. i want to know what kind of price the seller is looking for. maybe others feel the same and that's why no offers were made??

it seems a bit silly though to offer it for free and then throw your toys out of the pram when people take you up on it.

spurtle
14-Feb-12, 10:44
I would never know where to start on offers, as you can't read the other person's mind - so I too would not reply

Crackeday
14-Feb-12, 15:43
I put a post in the domestic appliances for sale. The item was a brand new fridge. Reasonably priced and open to offers. I had no offers for it. So I decided I would advertise it for free. And low and behold, I am inundated with takers for it. Well guess what? Nobody's getting it! Same old story up north. Everyone wants everything for nothing.
Why advertise it for free if you had no intention to give it away free?
Youll probably find its the same old story down south too!!!.
If you see something for nothing and nothing is all you have then of course youre going to get takers!!!
Did you ever take the legs off a daddy long legs by any chance? Then laugh when it couldnt move :(

Corrie 3
14-Feb-12, 16:22
MMmmmm!!
£100 for a second hand fridge that is damaged seems to be a bit excessive to me, no wonder you didn't have any takers !!
Half price would have been nearer the mark.

C3................:eek::eek:

Dadie
14-Feb-12, 16:35
£100 for a damaged fridge that costs £160 new in Brora .....
Not a good deal if you factor in the cost of petrol to collect it.
Maybe by advertising it more locally you might have gotten a buyer.
At £80- £90 rather than hitting the next zero ie £100 would have got more interest too.
But then advertising it free and throwing a wee tantrum when you find out people are interested in it then is a bit idiotic.
There are a lot of people making do with old appliances, fingers xxed they dont break down, as they do not have the spare cash to buy new.
Oh I dont need a fridge so never looked at your for sale/for free ads ..just your opening rant on this thread!

teddybear1873
14-Feb-12, 18:25
Electronics is always a difficult product to sell, unless it's under warranty. It doesn't matter if the person bought it brand new for £160. At the end of the day, If I looked online, I would more and likely find it new for around £135-145 in which I would take new one.

sids
14-Feb-12, 18:40
Everyone wants everything for nothing.

And you wanted money for old rope.

Alrock
14-Feb-12, 18:48
'open to offers' turns me right off a sale. as soon as i see that in an advert, i write it off.

I would never know where to start on offers, as you can't read the other person's mind - so I too would not reply

Have agree with you both... That is why, from now on, I'm gonna start making silly offers in the hope that it makes them name an actual price wanted & with a bit of luck I might even get the odd bargain out of it.

abz02
14-Feb-12, 18:55
Even if you were giving something away, folk would probably still not take it!
If you try and sell anything on this site all of a sudden everyone becomes an expert and says your too expensive or there must be something wrong by the time your selling it......

Alrock
14-Feb-12, 19:27
Have agree with you both... That is why, from now on, I'm gonna start making silly offers in the hope that it makes them name an actual price wanted & with a bit of luck I might even get the odd bargain out of it.

See... it works....
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?169566-PS3-25-Games

hardcore superstar
14-Feb-12, 20:26
See... it works....
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?169566-PS3-25-Games

keep up the good work!

Phill
14-Feb-12, 21:40
See... it works....
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?169566-PS3-25-GamesOr he could swap it all for a slightly damaged nearly new fridge in Brora!

_Ju_
14-Feb-12, 22:39
Everyone wants everything for nothing.
An item is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. Live with it.

Dadie
14-Feb-12, 22:51
You are also up against fridges going for £40 ish quid...so go back and refigure your sums and whats acceptable!