PDA

View Full Version : Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave disaster

MadPict
28-Dec-04, 01:54
Much has been said in these forums about the effects of man on the environment but the terrible results of the planet 'shifting itself' have proved we are mere amateurs.

I have been fortunate to visit the Maldives twice now and I was struck by the fact that they are only 1.5m above sea level at the highest point and the Maldivians are only too aware of this. If global warming does raise the sea level they will be the first to suffer and are pretty green with their island nation.

This Sundays tragic events have taken a huge toll in life and no doubt have hit some part of the world many of us have visited as tourists.

Let us hope the deathtoll does not rise any further and aid gets to those that need it quickly...

Rheghead
28-Dec-04, 01:57
here here

I think they are one of the first signatories of the Kyoto agreement?

jjc
28-Dec-04, 10:08
:(

Indeed. The Red Cross has launched an emergency appeal in response to this crisis and are accepting donations either through their website (http://www.redcross.org.uk/Campaign.asp?id=38543) or on 08705 125 125.

Rheghead
28-Dec-04, 12:49
Thank you jjc

I have just donated £50 to the British Red cross.

MadPict
28-Dec-04, 18:03
Ditto

Mr P Cannop
28-Dec-04, 18:09
you can also donate in the red cross shop in Thurso

squidge
28-Dec-04, 23:33
This is a terrible tradgedy and it will take years for those areas affected to recover. Maybe my diet in the new year should be sponsored? Might make me stick to it this time

MadPict
30-Dec-04, 22:34
"The death toll from the disaster is continuing to rise as relief workers reach more remote areas. At least 117,000 people are now confirmed dead."

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4136153.stm)

FOREIGNERS MISSING AND DEAD
Sweden: 44 dead, at least 1,400 missing
Germany: 33 dead, over 1,000 missing
Britain: 28 dead, 50 missing
France: 22 dead, 90 missing
Norway: 21 dead, 430 missing
Italy: 14 dead, 600 missing
US: 14 dead, thousands unaccounted for
Switzerland: 11 dead, 850 unaccounted for
Australia: 10 dead, 1,000 missing

KEY AID PLEDGES
World Bank $250m
UK $96m
EU $44m
US: $35m
Canada: $33m
Japan: $30m
Australia: $27m
France: $20.4m
Denmark: $15.6m
Saudi Arabia: $10m
Source: Reuters, United Nations

DrSzin
04-Jan-05, 16:17
Thank you jjc

I have joined Rheghead and MadPict in donating £50.
(£25 to the Red Cross and £25 to a different group -- don't ask why!)

Anyone else care to join us?

Don't forget to tell them if you're a UK taxpayer so the Red Cross can claim the 28% of your donation that you have already paid to the Inland Revenue.

If you are a higher-rate taxpayer, you can then claim back the difference between standard-rate tax and higher-rate tax from the Inland Revenue -- or so the Red Cross website claims.

Colin Manson
04-Jan-05, 17:26
I donated £50 a few days ago online @

http://www.dec.org.uk/

golach
04-Jan-05, 20:21
I did the same as you Colin, it was so easy to do

Mr P Cannop
04-Jan-05, 21:07
i will be doing this tomorrow in the red cross shop in thurso

unicorn
04-Jan-05, 21:50
I also donated £50 to dec by phone very easy to do

MadPict
05-Jan-05, 00:38
A donation of £50 when tax is claimed back is actually £64 if I recall the options when donating.

DrSzin
05-Jan-05, 01:30
Yup, that's correct, 128% of £50 is £64.

The standard rate of tax is 22%, so the fund gets 100/78 times £50 which gives £64 (when rounded to the nearest pound as the taxman likes you to do).

And if you're a higher-rate (40%) taxpayer, you can claim a further £19 back from the Inland Revenue. (That's (100/60 - 100/78) times £50.)

So, somewhat bizarrely, a nominal donation of £50 costs a higher-rate taxpayer £31 but the relief fund gets £64 -- assuming I have done my sums correctly of course.

Where does the extra money come from? That's easy -- from the tax man! It's the one time you get to choose where your income tax gets spent!

This avalanche of numerology is beginning to sound like a Rheghead post!

Rheghead
05-Jan-05, 03:42
Those numbers!? Those damned bloody numbers!?

If everyone from the UK gave as generously as me, DrSzin, Madpict,Golach, P.Cannop, Colin Manson and last but not least unicorn then,

57 X 10^6 X £50 = £2.85 BILLION!!!!!!

The published figures show we are are living amongst a bunch of Random heroes!!!

jjc
05-Jan-05, 10:35
If everyone from the UK gave as generously as me, DrSzin, Madpict,Golach, P.Cannop, Colin Manson and last but not least unicorn then,
*cough*

misschief
05-Jan-05, 10:51
Rheghead please be aware that not everyone can afford to be as generous much as we would like to.

On another matter can you donate some of the items they were asking for on the radio at the red cross shop. I have loads of the items that I will never use and can give to them.

Rheghead
05-Jan-05, 14:07
misschief wrote
Rheghead please be aware that not everyone can afford to be as generous much as we would like to.

I agree with you there, i wasn't demeaning anyone who genuinely can't. But let me put things into perspective, the British public spent £30 billion on Christmas, thats over £500 for each and everyone of us. The British public have raised £75 million for the tsunami disaster that is £1.31p from each of us!!!!
Kids can find the money to spend £50 on a phone card to talk rubbish to their friends. Mobile phones weren't widely affordable 5 years ago so they can do without for a couple of months eh? :roll:
If we all donated what we would have spent on our non-essential mobiles then the disaster fund will be bulging with cash.

Sorry jjc if i missed you out :~(

katarina
13-Jan-05, 20:23
[quote=Rheghead]Thank you jjc

I have joined Rheghead and MadPict in donating £50.
(£25 to the Red Cross and £25 to a different group -- don't ask why!)

I donated £100 but paid it through the post office.

katarina
13-Jan-05, 20:26

I've read a lot of critism about the government not giving enough - what I'd like to know is - how much have the royal family given? After all the queen is the seventh richest person in the world. She wpould never miss a few million.

Rheghead
14-Jan-05, 11:08
I heard on the telly quite a lot actually

jjc
14-Jan-05, 11:47
If everyone from the UK gave as generously as me, DrSzin, Madpict,Golach, P.Cannop, Colin Manson and last but not least unicorn then
*cough* (again) ;)

I've read a lot of critism about the government not giving enough - what I'd like to know is - how much have the royal family given? After all the queen is the seventh richest person in the world. She wpould never miss a few million.
Why just the Royal Family? What about Richard Branson, Elton John, Cliff Richard, James Dyson, etc?

The Royals often seem to be regarded as unfeeling monsters without the emotional responses the rest of us take for granted. I'm not sure that's a fair assessment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4154687.stm

squidge
14-Jan-05, 12:28

I think it is about time that you all stop blowing your own trumpets What do you want? a certificate to say it makes you a good person cos you gave £50? I have not got £50 to give to the disaster fund. Many of us have very very very little disposable income and live on a week to week basis. Would you try to remember that please and stop some of this sanctimonious boasting

gravedigga
14-Jan-05, 12:53
Well said squidge, i thought i was doing good donating a tenner and leaving my change in the collection tubs whenever i've been shopping, then i read on here everyone's chucking £50's out them but as you've said we don't all have that kinda money lying around.

Must say i think it's commendable of Sir Paul Macartney donating £1 million to the fund.

Rheghead
14-Jan-05, 12:54

I think it is about time that you all stop blowing your own trumpets What do you want? a certificate to say it makes you a good person cos you gave £50? I have not got £50 to give to the disaster fund. Many of us have very very very little disposable income and live on a week to week basis. Would you try to remember that please and stop some of this sanctimonious boasting

I expected nothing in return for my generosity! I suspect that you replied in such a manner was because you haven't given anything?

squidge
14-Jan-05, 13:05
I expected nothing in return for my generosity! I suspect that you replied in such a manner was because you haven't given anything?

i have given what i can afford. I have sat and cried over the pictures on the television i have wanted to give homes and love to all the children i have seen. I have felt for all those people that have lost loved ones and i have wanted to give more but i just cant. i have read this and felt guilty and ashamed of my paltry £10 donation and the change that i have given. I have felt pressured to give more but my budget is so tight that if i do i cant pay my rent or do my shopping or buy my coal or electricity or get to work. Thats how all these posts make me feel and i thing gravedigga had that feeling a bit too.

Just THINK why dont you

Rheghead
14-Jan-05, 13:13
And we have given what we could afford, it is not a race or a competition on who can give the most!? Jeeps, I can't even comprehend £1 million let alone giving it away!

Do I feel ashamed that McCartney can give that and I can't? No

I just think it is the decent thing to do, and you also it seems. £10 can be put to all sorts of use, don't be ashamed of it, well done and Thank you!!

squidge
14-Jan-05, 13:45
I just think it is the decent thing to do, and you also it seems. £10 can be put to all sorts of use, don't be ashamed of it, well done and Thank you!!

See - i am mollifed now

jjc
14-Jan-05, 13:56
I know I've *cough*ed a couple of times in this thread, but that was just a bit of fun. I agree with Squidge here – I don’t see the need to compete with figures.

As for the comments I've quoted here, Rheghead: for one who boasts of how 'generously' he has given, you certainly haven't displayed much good will towards Squidge.

i have read this and felt guilty and ashamed of my paltry £10 donation and the change that i have given
Why? On top of your donation (which, by the way could buy a water filter, two blankets, fruit trees, training for a local health worker, food rations… the list is huge) you are also sacrificing sticky buns, chocolate and chips to raise extra money. Next to that effort, simply pulling the plastic out of my wallet and filling in a form on a web site is paltry.

golach
14-Jan-05, 14:10

i have given what i can afford. I have sat and cried over the pictures on the television i have wanted to give homes and love to all the children i have seen. I have felt for all those people that have lost loved ones and i have wanted to give more but i just cant. i have read this and felt guilty and ashamed of my paltry £10 donation and the change that i have given. I have felt pressured to give more but my budget is so tight that if i do i cant pay my rent or do my shopping or buy my coal or electricity or get to work. Thats how all these posts make me feel and i thing gravedigga had that feeling a bit too.

Just THINK why dont you

Squidge
You have put into words the feelings my limited vocabulary could not describe, and I think the feelings that most of the readers of these boards.
This is not a " see how much I have put in" contest and was never intended as such.

Golach

squidge
14-Jan-05, 14:10
i havent started yet

i cant find the weight watchers class. I went last night to where i thougth it was but it wasnt there. i didnt take a map off the internet but looks like im gonna have to

what a numpty :roll:

Rheghead
14-Jan-05, 14:58
jjc wrote
I agree with Squidge here – I don’t see the need to compete with figures.

Rheghead wrote
And we have given what we could afford, it is not a race or a competition on who can give the most!?

*cough*

jjc wrote
As for the comments I've quoted here, Rheghead: for one who boasts of how 'generously' he has given, you certainly haven't displayed much good will towards Squidge.

Rheghead wrote

*cough"

I am sorry I tried to help maybe Random_hero has a point and apollo69's opinions of you are not afterall totally unfounded?

BTW this the last posting from me

GOODBYE

jjc
14-Jan-05, 15:11
i havent started yet

i cant find the weight watchers class. I went last night to where i thougth it was but it wasnt there. i didnt take a map off the internet but looks like im gonna have to

what a numpty :roll:
Walk to the class next week - that way if you can't find it you'll have burned off a whole week's worth of diety whilst you're looking anyway. ;)

squidge
14-Jan-05, 15:18

GOODBYE

Oh dont go! You are all such boys. Stop squabbling and come back and play. I said i was mollified and jjc you were mean to him. BE NICE the lot of you. We can surely disagree without falling out

jjc
14-Jan-05, 15:36
I am sorry I tried to help maybe Random_hero has a point and apollo69's opinions of you are not afterall totally unfounded?

GOODBYE
Oh, don't be such a baby! (Did you stamp your little cyber-feet as you typed that?)

I said i was mollified and jjc you were mean to him.
Moi? http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/engel/angel-smiley-003.gif

MadPict
14-Jan-05, 17:40
I certainly did not intend for this to be seen as a race about who could give the most. That can be left to the governments who obviously do, and like to crow about who generous they have been in the past yada yada yada.
The option of donating set amounts is presented to you when you go to the Red Cross site. It seemed like a reasonable amount to me and having holidayed in the region and seen the standard of living for these people tied into the tourist trade, I felt like I should send some monetary help.
You give what you feel is right. Even if you go without a packet of cigarettes for a day - that was enough to provide several litres of drinking water.
Whether you gave £1 or £1,000,000 doesn't matter - you gave something. But then someone will come along and say why should we give anything. Thats your choice. Mine was to give something.

:(

gravedigga
14-Jan-05, 18:42
Yeah at least we've all done our bit, more than can be said for that scrouge random whatshisname?? :p