PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston

Foxy
12-Feb-12, 02:39
RIP Whitney, such a talented lady.

porshiepoo
12-Feb-12, 09:54
Such a shock. This lady was sooooooo amazingly talented.
RIP Whitney.

Kevin Milkins
12-Feb-12, 10:00
That's a bit spooky..:eek:

Mr's M and myself were deciding what to watch on the TV last night and The Johnathan Ross show had Dionne Warwick as one of the guests. I remarked to Mr's M that I was pleased that she looked like she had over come her drug problems, but was told it was not her with the problem it was ????????????? and neither of could think of name of the body guard star.

I sat down this morning to google it because it was still bugging me and the first thing I saw when switching on my pooter was the death of Whitney Houston.

mi16
12-Feb-12, 16:18
cast your minds back to the death of Miss Any Winehouse, many folk were quick to put her down as jusat another junkie and one waste of space less on the earth. Why not the same reaction to Junkie Houston's death?

linnie612
12-Feb-12, 16:22
Give it time.......

Bobinovich
12-Feb-12, 16:44
A few possible reasons... Many of us remember Whitney from long before she turned to drugs, whereas I can't personally remember hearing much about Amy where drugs wern't mentioned in the same sentence. Also Whitney released a fair number of quality songs as well as had some high-profile acting roles, while I can only think of two of Amy's songs.

changilass
12-Feb-12, 16:54
Is one of them 'rehab' by any chance?

Kodiak
12-Feb-12, 16:59
Requiescat in Pace - Whitney. A Talent gone too soon.

Yon Chiel
12-Feb-12, 22:03
As J.R. Ewing always said of his lovely wife Sue-Ellen......"a tramp and a drunk and an unfit mother...."
cast your minds back to the death of Miss Any Winehouse, many folk were quick to put her down as jusat another junkie and one waste of space less on the earth. Why not the same reaction to Junkie Houston's death?

linnie612
12-Feb-12, 22:14

Just noticed! I take it that was a deliberate mistake?[lol]

Angel
12-Feb-12, 23:28
An amazing voice, beautiful lady too... God Bless,,,

Angel...

The Music Monster
13-Feb-12, 00:01
She had an amazing voice at the peak of her career, and has died far too young. She had a voice of power and passion and I don't believe I have heard another singer in the last decade who could match her for either of those qualities.

Phill
13-Feb-12, 01:45
Here's me thinking she only did one song and that wasn't all that good.

Aaldtimer
13-Feb-12, 04:28
Here's me thinking she only did one song and that wasn't all that good.

In my opinion you would be in a very small minority![disgust]

RIP for a beautiful singer.

George Brims
13-Feb-12, 04:53
That's a bit spooky..:eek:

Mr's M and myself were deciding what to watch on the TV last night and The Johnathan Ross show had Dionne Warwick as one of the guests. I remarked to Mr's M that I was pleased that she looked like she had over come her drug problems, but was told it was not her with the problem it was ????????????? and neither of could think of name of the body guard star.

I sat down this morning to google it because it was still bugging me and the first thing I saw when switching on my pooter was the death of Whitney Houston.
Whitney was Dionne's niece, which may be what confused you.

Aaldtimer
13-Feb-12, 05:10
Her cousin actually by all reports George.

And a thouroughly decent sort.

This from another forum:-

Whitney Houston Charity Work, Events and Causes

Charity biography

I'd say the gal had some substance.

"Whitney Houston shot to fame in the 1980s when she became one of the first African-American female artists to receive regular rotation on MTV – a feat that successfully opened doors for other women to find success in music and movies. Best known for her work with Kevin Costner in "The Bodyguard", Houston has led a life of service to others when not on screen or behind a microphone.

The 44-year-old first showed her socially-conscious side when still a model, before her fame rocketed her to stardom. Back then she refused to work for agencies that did business with South Africa, due to the country's regime of apartheid. It was an issue that she later brought to the attention of the world when she performed at Nelson Mandela's 70th Birthday Concert in London, an event that brought pressure on the Government to ease its restrictions and eventually release the future president of South Africa.

Following the concert, Houston formed the Whitney Houston Foundation for Children, an organization that cared for the homeless and children with cancer and AIDS. It eventually brought the singer one of her many awards for her humanitarian work, as did her involvement with the United Negro College Fund.

Houston is also the only artist to turn the national anthem into a chart hit when her rendition of The Star Spangled Banner reached the Top 100 in 1991. She donated her royalties to the Red Cross.

In 1997, the HBO Concert "Classic Whitney live from Washington DC" raised over $300000 for the Children's Defense Fund.

In 2011, she partnered with her sister-in-law in launching a line of scented candles to benefit charity.

For a comprehensive list of Whitney's charity work, visit Whitney-Fan.com.

Kevin Milkins
13-Feb-12, 08:49
Whitney was Dionne's niece, which may be what confused you.

It doesn't take a lot to make me feel confused nowadays, George. :lol:

I recorded the Johnathan Ross show and watched it last night. It was a good line up of guests and I was looking forward to Dionne blasting one out at the end, :Razz she was very disappointing and have heard better down at the camps.:confused

RecQuery
13-Feb-12, 09:11
I'm amazed at the deification some people get upon their death. She was basically a crack whore who managed to hide it for a while. She's been a train-wreck in the US media for a while.

telfordstar
13-Feb-12, 14:41
Talented she may be, she was also very talented at taking drink and drugs too! So in my eyes another druggie to heaven.

ali10
13-Feb-12, 16:38
My my, what a lovely society we seem to live in, quick to judge, quick to down people, quick to make very hurtful comments, what has happened to us nowadays, I have never written on here before but after reading some of the comments I felt quite stongly about what has been said. Everyone is an individual, we all have a past, we all take wrong paths at times or make silly choices throughout our life, I smoke.. I'd hate to think if I died people would think it serves her right attitude.. Drugs, drink, chocolate, coffee, smoking they are all addictions yeh some a lot worse than others but we are all just human at the end of the day.. I would suggest abit of respect, should you wish to think..whore...druggie etc then that is your opinion but I hope you can say your perfect then, why do you need to post such comments at the end of the day no matter what you think she was, she was a person with feelings and has died very young, whether it be her fault or not.. Please think before posting such strongly, derogative comments.

RecQuery
13-Feb-12, 16:46
My my, what a lovely society we seem to live in, quick to judge, quick to down people, quick to make very hurtful comments, what has happened to us nowadays, I have never written on here before but after reading some of the comments I felt quite stongly about what has been said. Everyone is an individual, we all have a past, we all take wrong paths at times or make silly choices throughout our life, I smoke.. I'd hate to think if I died people would think it serves her right attitude.. Drugs, drink, chocolate, coffee, smoking they are all addictions yeh some a lot worse than others but we are all just human at the end of the day.. I would suggest abit of respect, should you wish to think..whore...druggie etc then that is your opinion but I hope you can say your perfect then, why do you need to post such comments at the end of the day no matter what you think she was, she was a person with feelings and has died very young, whether it be her fault or not.. Please think before posting such strongly, derogative comments.

The phrase poor little rich girl comes to mind. My problem as I've said was the deification some people receive when they die.

George Brims
13-Feb-12, 19:47
I was never a big fan of Whitney, simply because she wasn't doing the sort of music I listen to, but this morning on our local morning TV show the entertainment guy ran us through a mini-biography of her career. What struck me was the purity of her voice on her recordings, as compared to the over-processed, auto-tuned to death, all sound much the same renderings of the contemporary crop of singers. The exceptions of course being Amy W and Adele, who are/were both throwbacks to an even earlier era really. Huge night for Adele last night at the Grammys where she won six on one night (same as Whitney's entire career, and she was extremely popular in her day).