PDA

View Full Version : Parking outside of Castletown shop.

focusRS
11-Feb-12, 21:38
Looking for some feedback as to why people park on the mainstreet of Castletown outside of the Mcolls shop. There is a large carpark on the other side of the street so why not use it? Bring back the double yellow lines and enforce them i say.

rogermellie
11-Feb-12, 21:43
just people being lazy.
this was raised last year with the community council but nothing was done.
it'll take a crash at the junction with the hotel before it's taken seriously.
even the delivery lorry parks out front instead of the side of the building where the delivery door is !

k1rst1n27
11-Feb-12, 21:44
agree, unnecessary when there is a car park right across the street

focusRS
11-Feb-12, 21:51
Watched in horror today as a young lad emerged between 2 parked cars at the shop and an oncoming car had to brake hard to miss him. Im sure the minimum parking distance from a junction is 10m or 33'. Why do the police not enforce this? Its the same at the post office.

Corrie 3
11-Feb-12, 21:52
Enforce yellow lines in Caithness? You have to be joking!!! Have you had a look around Thurso or Wick, no one takes a blind bit of notice about parking restrictions because they know they wont be caught or be given a ticket!!!!
It's just selfishness and idleness I'm afraid so you had better get used to it because you wont change it and neither will Northern Constabulary or Highland Council!!!

C3.............:roll:

focusRS
11-Feb-12, 22:06
Selfishness and idleness i can live with but when bairns are at risk of serious injury or worse then something must be done.

pumkin
11-Feb-12, 22:09
Enforce yellow lines in Caithness? You have to be joking!!! Have you had a look around Thurso or Wick, no one takes a blind bit of notice about parking restrictions because they know they wont be caught or be given a ticket!!!!
It's just selfishness and idleness I'm afraid so you had better get used to it because you wont change it and neither will Northern Constabulary or Highland Council!!!

C3.............:roll:

I couldn't have put it better myself, C3.

There's a lot of bad junctions in Caithness, particularly the one at the end of Thurso bridge. That junction is a disaster waiting to happen. Princes St. is a nightmare if you park there. The OP is right though, to park outside the shop when there's a car park across the road is quite baffling. However, I can't remember the last time I seen a Traffic Warden in Thurso, so if there's no Warden, there's no ticket handed out.

lisagrace
11-Feb-12, 22:23
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard there is no traffic warden in Thurso, the one from Wick apparently visits twice a week, can't say I've ever seen them

pat
12-Feb-12, 07:41
Caithness is much the same as anywhere in the Highlands and Islands - not enough police/traffic wardens to enforce and if the lines/rules/signs are not in position correctly there may be no case to answer.
Traffic warden in Stornoway walks by vehicles with tax 3 months out of date or no ticket on display in the little council carpark in town. One vehicle she went by last week, lots of vouchers to say parking ticket paid but tax 2 months out of date. If it is a visitor to the island more likelihood of getting a ticket as I do not think she likes giving out a ticket it may be it's someone she knows! Walk around Tescos car park there are usually 3 cars with out of date tax discs, not talking just a couple of weeks either but usually months. What happens then if anyone has an accident involving those vehicles - no tax, therefore no insurance and usually no MOT if vehicle old enough, should not be on road.
I do contact the Police Station to say where vehicle, by reg, make, colour etc and where parked - if they want to bother to catch them they can, if they do not bother let it be on their conscience if that vehicle kills or maims anyone.
Check if the lines are fully painted and applicable then ask for something to be done - in writing to the council and police - cannot say they have not had complaints asking for problem to be looked at.

Torvaig
12-Feb-12, 10:58
Sadly, this is the age of selfishness. People are too lazy to walk a few yards and are too selfish to care for the consequences of their selfish parking.

Motorists and drunks are about the most selfish people in our communities.

Some motorists jump in their cars and seem to think they are invincible once they are behind the wheel which we all know is a complete fallacy.

Some think that rules of the road don't apply to them. They drink and drive, they speed, they park in dangerous places (dangerous to others of course) and live in their own little selfish world of "I'm alright jack."

It's obvious in the way they park outside schools with the kiddies wandering in and out between parked cars; it's obvious in the speed they drive at especially in unsafe conditions and it is certainly obvious in their Neanderthal little brains that they don't care for the results of their actions.

The rules of the road have to be applied more effectively both in published warnings by the authorities and in the robust policing of motorists. Unfortunately, those in charge would rather save money by cutting the numbers of police and police stations and the police themselves are bowed under with mounds of paperwork and an unsupportive administration.

It would be better to spend more money and resources on necessary policing and to carry out robust campaigns of letting the public know that the police are there to do their job and to do it effectively. Let them show the public that they are there to protect the public and that means keeping people safe on the roads and off.

Most of all, the public should be helping by not thinking the rules don't apply to them, by being aware of how we are responsible for our own actions, law or no law, and to stop being so selfish and uncaring and thinking that the world owes them a favour and realise we are all responsible for keeping our communities safe for our families.

If everyone stopped blaming the police and other community personnel for the tragedies that happen and became more aware of their own actions however insignificant at the time, then and only then will we have caring communities working on the same side for the safety of our citizens and for a better way of life.

sids
12-Feb-12, 15:50
Watched in horror today as a young lad emerged between 2 parked cars at the shop and an oncoming car had to brake hard to miss him.

Sounds like careless driving is a bigger problem than parking then.

grannymoose
12-Feb-12, 17:13
Watched in horror today as a young lad emerged between 2 parked cars at the shop and an oncoming car had to brake hard to miss him.

Are they not learn the green cross code here?

Alrock
12-Feb-12, 17:18
Maybe they find the junction to even get to the carpark too confusing!

focusRS
12-Feb-12, 17:37
No Sids it was not "careless driving" it was anything but. Had it not been for the gent watching the road and his quick reactions then the bairn would have been hit.

Grannymoose i agree that kids should have good knowledge of the green cross code but it is kids we are talking about here, 100% of kids will NOT get it 100% right 100% of the time. Even without the near miss i talked about it is still inconsiderate not to mention illegal to park outside of the shop because they are too bone idle to walk from the carpark.

focusRS
12-Feb-12, 17:39
If they find that junction too confusing then they should not be on the road.

sids
12-Feb-12, 17:58
The car park is across a busy road from the shop.

Safer to park at the shop really.

focusRS
12-Feb-12, 18:05
So opening your car door onto a main street is safer? Nice work.

sianie
12-Feb-12, 18:27
your telling me youv never parked their before ?

focusRS
12-Feb-12, 18:37
Why would i start this thread if i did? I once left my daughters pram at the shop door.

fraz
12-Feb-12, 21:21
Same as parking on the busy road outside the public toilets in Thurso.Car park just across the road, this creates another needless hazard.

billmoseley
12-Feb-12, 21:43
it also bugs me that they also still park further up outside the post office even though they have a car park now. i have lost count of the times i have been over taking parked cars and then wanting to turn down to bower and a car comes round the corner from dunnet bay to find me in a bus in his way. no ones fault but the perked car driver

sids
12-Feb-12, 22:32
So opening your car door onto a main street is safer? Nice work.

That's a bit unlikely! The woman in the passenger seat gets out and goes into the shop.

focusRS
12-Feb-12, 22:42
Not if your driving east. A fellow biker should be somewhat more enlightened.

ducati
12-Feb-12, 23:57
If you can't negotiate the odd parked car in the quietest traffic in the world......don't ever leave Caithness!

Dog-eared
13-Feb-12, 00:06
It can be a problem avoiding drivers doors being flung open as you pass the parked cars outside the shop.

focusRS
13-Feb-12, 00:07
There is a professional bus driver commenting on this post with his distaste for the parked cars and im sure he drives outside of Caithness all the time. You are braking the law if you park there or is that ok?

ducati
13-Feb-12, 00:14
There is a professional bus driver commenting on this post with his distaste for the parked cars and im sure he drives outside of Caithness all the time. You are braking the law if you park there or is that ok?

Yes I've seen his driving. Every 400 yds he indicates left and bliddy parks!:Razz

Rheghead
13-Feb-12, 00:31
Another example where a bit of consideration for others would have cured the problem.

focusRS
13-Feb-12, 00:33
As for never driving outside of Caithness, i was a motorcycle courier after my main work in Aberdeen and i have to say Caithness has a damn sight worse drivers.

abz02
13-Feb-12, 12:56
Who goes to such a length to park illegally in Castletown to spend money???

At least they are a little bit considerate, they park on the pavement to give passing traffic space!

sids
13-Feb-12, 14:06
Not if your driving east. A fellow biker should be somewhat more enlightened.

An observant biker would have noticed that they are all actually driving west. They travel on an anticlockwise circuit via Sibmister and Durran, to avoid right turns. It's all about safety and counting neighbours' drills of neeps.

billmoseley
13-Feb-12, 19:17
Yes I've seen his driving. Every 400 yds he indicates left and bliddy parks!:Razz
don't blame me my job description say i must pick up and drop of passengers

focusRS
13-Feb-12, 19:23
Castletown's unbearable neep twitchers.

ducati
15-Feb-12, 18:51
I was there today, 4 cars parked on the road. I had to park around the side. :lol:

focusRS
15-Feb-12, 19:05
If it was the X1/9 then im shocked the haul of scrap managed to get you home.

ducati
16-Feb-12, 08:53
If it was the X1/9 then im shocked the haul of scrap managed to get you home.

That's very unkind. No, it was my Mercedes :cool::lol:

focusRS
16-Feb-12, 18:55
That sounds fantastic. I hope everyone is as impressed as i. :roll:

badger
18-Feb-12, 18:51
It will take someone being killed before Council/police take action. This has been raised regularly over the years at the Community Council, at Ward Forums with the Police. The answer is always the same. It takes miles of red tape to paint yellow lines. The police won't ticket because they get too many complaints. Problem is Caithness drivers ignore the Highway Code which makes it quite clear cars shouldn't park there as it's by a junction and opposite a junction. The shop and PO both have car parks opposite and the road would not be dangerous to cross without the parked cars. It's also very dangerous for cars turning into the main road from the north, not helped by cars speeding through above the limit.

People parking in the road by the shop and PO are just lazy and selfish. If they can't cross the road they shouldn't be driving.

Corrie 3
18-Feb-12, 19:03
I have read over this thread and two words keep popping up............................

Lazy and selfish !!!

[disgust]