PDA

View Full Version : Sweets from your Childhood

Mrs Sweetie
08-Feb-12, 11:35
Meiklejohns, Thurso Street, Wick have just taken delivery of a new range of sweeties that evoke memories of days gone by. How many you remember from your childhood? :) We have:

Wrapped Bars:

Mint cream
Strawberry dream
Macaroon
Butter Tablet
Scottish Fudge
Banoffee Cream
Raspberry Ripple Cream
Goodsweet & Carruthers bags: sealed in a kraft paper bag with a foiled description, these would make attractive gifts -

Scillian Sherbet Lemons
English Rhubarb & Creme Anglais
Unpronounceable Welsh Mints
Jamaican Ginger Beer Balls
West Indian Lime & Belgian Chocolate
Strawberry & Champagne Sherbets
Dark West African Cola Kubes
Muscavado Butterscotch and Barbadian Spice
Blackcurrant & Dutch Licquorice
Taunton Toffee Apple
Weigh outs:

Chelsea Whoppers (tastes like chocolate fudge)
Crispet (chocolate pieces with coconut)
We hope you like the sound of them (and the taste!) :)

As well as these old fashioned sweeties, we are delighted to be stocking Passion Fruit Hearts made by Caithness Chocolates. We are so lucky to have a local company making such delicious, high range chocolates. The hearts are a limited edition so don't leave it too late but we will still have a selection of the truffles for you to treat yourself if you do miss them.

Thank you for your support, which is always appreciated. :)

Gronnuck
08-Feb-12, 13:23
Wit - nae cola cubes!!!!

changilass
08-Feb-12, 13:24
Just got lucky tatties from a wee shop in Mastrick, brings back loads of memories. Everyone should have sweet memories from their past.

Will have to call in next time we come home for a visit.

Mrs Sweetie
08-Feb-12, 14:49
Gronnuck, we have cola cubes all the time! There are some in that list too - Dark West African Cola Kubes. ;)

Changilass, we have Lucky Tatties too. Peedie ones. You'll be very welcome if you do pop in.

We are always happy to try and source sweeties if you've taken a notion for something that we don't have in stock. :)

poppett
08-Feb-12, 15:15
Can you describe the strawberry dream bars please?

My favourite all time ever sweetie was when cadbury made bars of dairy milk with eight squares of strawberry cream filling. The nearest I have ever found to replicate the taste is a strawberry flavoured roses chocolate.

They also made a lime version which was only available in Ireland and a shop in Parr Bold near St Helens used to have it in stock occasionally.

We had an ancient thread here on the org with childhood sweetie memories. Maybe someone will revive it Mrs Sweetie.

Tilly Teckel
08-Feb-12, 15:21
Mint Toffoes! Cannot find them anywhere - please help!!

Gronnuck
08-Feb-12, 16:02
Gronnuck, we have cola cubes all the time! There are some in that list too - Dark West African Cola Kubes. ;)

Changilass, we have Lucky Tatties too. Peedie ones. You'll be very welcome if you do pop in.

We are always happy to try and source sweeties if you've taken a notion for something that we don't have in stock. :)

I'll be in later in the week to spoil myself!:lol:

Mrs Sweetie
08-Feb-12, 18:55
Can you describe the strawberry dream bars please?

My favourite all time ever sweetie was when cadbury made bars of dairy milk with eight squares of strawberry cream filling. The nearest I have ever found to replicate the taste is a strawberry flavoured roses chocolate.

They also made a lime version which was only available in Ireland and a shop in Parr Bold near St Helens used to have it in stock occasionally.

You're reminding me a bit of the Frys Five Centres. Lime was my favourite in those. Without opening a strawberry dream, I can say that it doesn't have a soft fondant centre like you are describing. The bar is quite hard so I would imagine it to have a similar consistency to tablet. It is chocolate coated, as are all the bars except the fudge, tablet and macaroon.

Mint Toffoes! Cannot find them anywhere - please help!!

I would love to help but they are no longer made. :( There aren't that many minty toffees to be had. I can get assorted toffees which include the odd mint one or mint toffee eclairs if either of those are any use to you?

I'll be in later in the week to spoil myself!:lol:

Good! Look forward to seeing you. If it's Friday onwards, in the evening I'll be working so do say Hi! :D

linnie612
08-Feb-12, 19:34
Just got lucky tatties from a wee shop in Mastrick, .

What are they? - I've never heard of them!

john winters
08-Feb-12, 20:53
i pinched mine so it did not matter wat sweets i had

Mrs Sweetie
08-Feb-12, 21:20
What are they? - I've never heard of them!

Flat sweeties a bit smaller than a 2p, flavoured with cinnamon and coated with cinnamon powder. You used to be able to get large ones which contained a little toy, hence the name "Lucky" Tatties.