PDA

View Full Version : Indian Palace

dragonfly
03-Nov-06, 23:13
anyone tried it yet? sit in or takeaway, any better than Shelina Spice (which i think are very good anyway). Glad that we have a restaurant at last - can't wait till hubby is home next so as we can try it - unless otherwise advised here :)

Bobinovich
03-Nov-06, 23:39
We're booked to celebrate a couple of birthdays there on Monday. Got a look at takeaway menu today and am really looking forward to (hopefully) a delicious meal.

A friend of mine has seen inside and says the decor is very nice.

KILTIECAULDBUM
04-Nov-06, 00:09
Got a take-away last night.
A bit more expensive than Shelina Spice.
As already been said, it's nicely laid out etc.
Food was okay, but we asked for plain curry sauce x 3, but got curry sauce with veg in it x 2, so the meal, being a Biryani, was quite dry. :(
The chap who took the order didn't speak very good English, but the 2 girls at the door greeting you did. Maybe after they get going, the 2 girls will take the orders? ;)
It was just their first night though, so I will give it another go in a week or so.

hobbes1962
04-Nov-06, 13:06
Has anyone been to the Indian Palace in Thurso since it opened on Thursday? Is it any good?

My hubby came home with a menu last night and said it was absolutely mobbed. It seems pretty expensive to me at a meal each coming to near enough a tenner.

Gogglebox
04-Nov-06, 13:25
I had the set meal for 2 last night and thought it was really good
so 2 starters 2 mail meals nan and poppadum cost £19.95

The place itself is lovely inside and i think it would be a good dining experience to sit in and enjoy the full trappings

The guys taking orders did seem to be struggling a bit with the Thurso accents but they will soon get used to that, the staff all seemed very efficient and the greeters at the door was a nice touch.
Seem to be three different dining areas, one downstairs and 2 upstairs(although it may be one that goes right round i didnt look right through)

Plenty of staff working in it and i was really quite impressed.

Much nicer than the other Indian and I really hope it does well as Thurso really needs proper restaurants

Will go back very soon

Bobinovich
04-Nov-06, 15:20
I had the set meal for 2 last night and thought it was really good so 2 starters 2 mail meals nan and poppadum cost £19.95

Pig!!! :lol:

Gogglebox
04-Nov-06, 15:42
Pig!!! :lol:

Bigger pig than you realise!!!
Im having another one tonight!!

I'll be like the end of a house!! -
- You will lend me one of your shirts when i get really big wont you!! lol

Ricco
05-Nov-06, 10:26
I had the set meal for 2 last night and thought it was really good
so 2 starters 2 mail meals nan and poppadum cost £19.95

The place itself is lovely inside and i think it would be a good dining experience to sit in and enjoy the full trappings

The guys taking orders did seem to be struggling a bit with the Thurso accents but they will soon get used to that, the staff all seemed very efficient and the greeters at the door was a nice touch.
Seem to be three different dining areas, one downstairs and 2 upstairs(although it may be one that goes right round i didnt look right through)

Plenty of staff working in it and i was really quite impressed.

Much nicer than the other Indian and I really hope it does well as Thurso really needs proper restaurants

Will go back very soon

Gogglebox, that price seems quite reasonable to me. Can someone send me a copy of the menu? Either as a scanned image or PM me for an address. I often submit reports to teh Good Curry Guide and Pat Chapman will be inertested in news of a new restaurant in the North.

flash
05-Nov-06, 12:44
Gogglebox, who did you find that wanted to go with you

jaykay
05-Nov-06, 15:47
I tried the new Thurso Indian restuarant over the weekend. The decor is very nice and the staff very efficient and friendly. However the food was very disapointing as it was not freshly cooked. Every dish that was served up had been reheated (udoubtedly in a microwave oven) and not very well as some of them were very nearly cold. When I mentioned this to the waiter he did not deny that the food had been reheated and even offered to take the colder dishes away and warm them up in the microwave. I like Indian food and have been in many Indian restuarants throughout the UK but this has to be the first time that I have been served lukewarm food. (No jokes about the vindaloo please).:)
Another thing I found strange was that the customers waiting for carry outs to be served were left hanging about in the dining area. Usually there is an area set aside where carry out customers can sit which is segregated from the dining area.
If the Indian Palace is going to be a success they will need to improve the standard of the food otherwise they will go the same way as the other Indian restuarants that have set up business in Thurso.
Also I will have to continue going to K2 in Wick to get a decent curry!!

angela5
05-Nov-06, 15:57
I tried the new Thurso Indian restuarant over the weekend. The decor is very nice and the staff very efficient and friendly. However the food was very disapointing as it was not freshly cooked. Every dish that was served up had been reheated (udoubtedly in a microwave oven) and not very well as some of them were very nearly cold. When I mentioned this to the waiter he did not deny that the food had been reheated and even offered to take the colder dishes away and warm them up in the microwave. I like Indian food and have been in many Indian restuarants throughout the UK but this has to be the first time that I have been served lukewarm food. (No jokes about the vindaloo please).:)
Another thing I found strange was that the customers waiting for carry outs to be served were left hanging about in the dining area. Usually there is an area set aside where carry out customers can sit which is segregated from the dining area.
If the Indian Palace is going to be a success they will need to improve the standard of the food otherwise they will go the same way as the other Indian restuarants that have set up business in Thurso.

Maybe the K2 leave their food in the microwave longer.;)

jaykay
05-Nov-06, 16:07
Maybe they do!! Or maybe they at least cook some of the dishes to order.
Believe me nan bread out of the micro wave is not very appetising!!!
You would have thought they could at least have warmed it up under the grill!!!

Dali
05-Nov-06, 18:48

The K2 own the Indian palace

Gogglebox
06-Nov-06, 00:14
Gogglebox, who did you find that wanted to go with you

Again Meal for two - - -Eaten by One!!lol!!

Your another fella that could lend me a large bellied shirt!!

Keep it on stand by !!

By the way Saturday meal was nicer than Friday !!Friday was the Chicken Bhuna and Sat was the Tandoori Buttered Chicken which was the nicest Indian meal ive had in years!!

Naefearjustbeer
06-Nov-06, 02:43

I am lead to believe thay have a 50% share of the place in Thurso.

My wife had a meal in the place at the weekend and said the food was good and not too pricey. The service however was very slow. But on the upside I think they all had free wine to help compensate for the delay. The proof of the place will be how it goes in january after the rush to try somewhere new has died down and the after christmas slump when every one has started the new diets and are skint after spending too much over the festive period.

Bobinovich
06-Nov-06, 16:33
Anyone else noticed their "Kurse Lamb" at a meer £145? Is this a typo? I checked other Indian menus online and "Kursi Lamb" (as they all spell it) comes in around £35 - £45.

Sure won't be ordering that in a hurry LOL!

buggyracer
06-Nov-06, 16:50
had a carry out meal lastnight, it was fair nothing more, ordered by phone and told to come in half an hour, meal was ready when i arrived, wasnt the hottest by the time i got home 5 mins later, price i felt was ok, but K2 is far better and the other four who shared the meal were all of the same opinion, but its early days yet, im sure they are still finding there feet.

jaykay
06-Nov-06, 18:18

Not according to the owner of the Indian Palace

Naefearjustbeer
07-Nov-06, 02:19
Not according to the owner of the Indian Palace

Maybe he has a 50% share of shelina spice not the new one. Infact now that I come to think of it one time when we had a big order from K2 of exuctive meals for 12 folk they forgot to put the nan breads in so by the time we got the grub back to this side of the county and noticed it was too late to go back to K2 to collect them, he told us on the phone to pop up to the one in high ormilie and collect some nans as he owned it.

Bobinovich
07-Nov-06, 11:38
Well the birthday bash happened and we must say we were happy campers.

We arrived for 7.30pm prompt and were kept waiting for all of 2 minutes - the ladies being presented with a single rose each which was a nice start.

The decor is quite modern and definately not OTT which it could so easily have been when you see the front doors. Quite tasteful.

Not surprisingly (for a Monday evening) it was not too busy - just 3 other tables being served - but the timing between dishes was about right to allow the previous course to go down sufficiently.

The language barrier caused a few minor problems - such as a glass of wine being bought to the table instead of a bottle - but nothing which wasn't quickly rectified by the efficient waiter.

The food was certainly edible - the only bugbear was one starter which was not to the palette (we shared around), and my own main dish (I tried something new but could only eat half - it was too dry) but that's my fault, not theirs. The rest of the dishes were fine.

We were a little perturbed when they ignored our requests for a menu for sweets, but the reason soon became apparent. They popped up with a surprise cake and bottle of Asti for myself and Mr Changilass as we were both celebrating. Hence we had our sweet on the house. Nice touch. However I'm guessing it was probably more due to an early pre-opening booking, rather than a gesture which will be repeated for every birthday bash.

The bill, considering puppodum nibbles, 4 starters, 4 main courses with accompanying naan, paratha, rice, multiple rounds of drink and a bottle of red, etc. was very respectable at just a few pence above £85. However a quick word of warning - they don't yet take credit/debit cards so take cash or a cheque book and guarantee card.

Overall rating (personally) 8/10 and we all agreed we would go back - if they let us in!

Naefearjustbeer
07-Nov-06, 23:22
Well I had to try a takeaway tonight and I have to say it was superb. We went for the meal for 2 and there was planty grub for our £20. I even got a free bottle of beer whist I was waiting as the take away took 10 minutes longer than they said when I called in to pick it up. The staff were very helpfull and polite. It gets a big thumbs up from me.

Max
08-Nov-06, 20:23
We had a carry out on Monday night - it was really nice - the best curry I've tasted up here - about £24 for two main dishes, rice and two starters plus naan bread (free bottle of juice for the bairn) - we'll be back anyway!

POUNDIT
11-Nov-06, 17:49
I understand that the Indian Palace chef is one of shelina spices old chefs that they no longer required so i think the curry has been tasted up here before.Also i think that apart from the nice decor they don't have much to offer.The menu is expensive,i found the curry normal and the waiting area for takeaway was as if you were imposing on the people who were trying to have a romantic or quiet meal.:(
I also understand that the guy from K2 owns 50% of this place so we know what to expect.
About shelina spice i know the curry is nice,the owner tells me he buys his meat,veg and eggs locally as much as he can and this is important to me.
Also i have seen them in the papers a few times giving to local charities the money we customers give as tips.What more can i say as a recommendation i go there weekly as many of you do and sometimes i wait a little longer for my curry than other times but i know i am going to get my food properly cooked.:lol:

hobbes1962
11-Nov-06, 19:16
Anyone else noticed their "Kurse Lamb" at a meer £145? Is this a typo? I checked other Indian menus online and "Kursi Lamb" (as they all spell it) comes in around £35 - £45.

Sure won't be ordering that in a hurry LOL!

A friend of mine was telling me about that the other day. Apparently someone phoned up to query it and yes, it is apparantly correct. I'd want the whole lamb for that price:lol:

The only thing from the menu that I've noticed is that they describe some things but not others - oh and there spelling is awful!

bobsgirl
11-Nov-06, 20:48
About shelina spice i know the curry is nice,the owner tells me he buys his meat,veg and eggs locally as much as he can and this is important to me.
Also i have seen them in the papers a few times giving to local charities the money we customers give as tips.What more can i say as a recommendation i go there weekly as many of you do and sometimes i wait a little longer for my curry than other times but i know i am going to get my food properly cooked.:lol:

It is great that they buy their produce locally. Thumbs up from me!
I will say that Shelina Spice has been here for quite a while and it is great that they give to local charities. However Indian Palace has only just started so give them a chance. I personally thought the food was great and the waiters were very friendly, something that a takeaway can't give is a lot of customer rapport, they are usually rushed off their feet making sure everything is ready and you are stuck reading a paper!
I will still go to Shelina Spice as they are good curries but will certainly go back to Indian Palace when my hubby wants to take me out!!! Hint Hint!!!:grin:

theladyvixen
26-Nov-06, 02:28
Just a quick note to say that the only produce Shelina Spice will get locally is maybe eggs and milk as the food they get has to be Halal which local producers dont supply, just the same as the Indian Palace.
Also the Indian Palace does have something new to offer, they have a very varied menu with meals that no other place has on their menus.

MR J
26-Nov-06, 09:17
I have had 2 meals from the Palace since opening. The first was a take away which I found had very little meat in it and the second a sit in, which I had to send back because it was cold (temp, not spice).

It arrived back after being MICROWAVED!!

Sorry, not very impressed so far!!

dragonfly
26-Nov-06, 13:17
well we tried a takeaway from the Indian Palace last night - was very nice but I thought Shelina Spice had the edge over them in taste and price - will definately go for a sit-down meal though, but I'll be sticking to Shelina for takeaways

sam
26-Nov-06, 14:16
Just a quick note to say that the only produce Shelina Spice will get locally is maybe eggs and milk as the food they get has to be Halal which local producers dont supply, just the same as the Indian Palace.
Also the Indian Palace does have something new to offer, they have a very varied menu with meals that no other place has on their menus.

that's funny lol, I was in lidl's just the other week and saw the guy from shelina spice with a trolly load of milk, eggs, fruit & veg and cases of coke, well i guess that is buying locally:confused

unicorn
26-Nov-06, 14:45
I had a takeaway from shelina spice last night and as usual it was beautiful, I am picky and the staff had my order perfect and with an extra bag of salad and service with a smile. I have not tried the new place as I tend to stick with what I like and I love the food at shelina spice. I love my kebabs :)

POUNDIT
26-Nov-06, 23:59
The guy from Shelina Spice gets his Lamb cut halal from Barry in Wick killed in the slaughter house by a local asian guy that has a licence to kill halal meat.His eggs come from John O Groats and sometimes from castletown.He does buy milk from the supermarket.His mincemeat and potatoes he often gets from Mackays butcher in Thurso.He would buy local chicken if there are any suppliers go and see him because he is keen.During the summer he got his produce from an organic farm in John O Groats.
His onions and spices ,Kebeb meat and pizza cheese etc comes from his cash & carry.
He goes to Lidls for his cucumber, tomatoes , spinach and scampi.:D
Thats all i can remember i am sure if he ran out of something he would run to the supermarket.But in general he supports local suppliers and businesses.Knowing where your food is coming from is important to me that is why i personally go there.I know the owner well now after only discovering the place last year and can only recommend the place.:lol: