PDA

View Full Version : More than one username?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Feb-12, 17:54
I thought that there was a rule about having only one username on the org? why is it people seem to get away with having several and sometimes even replying to their own threads using there multiple names to generate interest....so annoying!

bingocrazy
07-Feb-12, 18:06
I really dont know but i do know people have so many different facebook accounts etc because they make up a new email address

Rheghead
07-Feb-12, 18:24
I thought that there was a rule about having only one username on the org? why is it people seem to get away with having several and sometimes even replying to their own threads using there multiple names to generate interest....so annoying!

How do you know that they are replying to their own threads but using another username? Surely using another username renders them appear to be different people? Name and shame I say. :)

Crackeday
07-Feb-12, 18:44
This was brought up the other week, no point in saying anything unless your going to name and shame! That way we'll all know who they are.
Mind you it could be people in the same house etc,

bingocrazy
07-Feb-12, 18:53
I know me and my fiance both has our own caithness.org username and maybe once or twice i forget to log my fiance out and leave a comment on hie page or "vice versa" are you 100% sure this can not be the case with maybe other orgers, or people was getting hassle on one and wanted to change their is, not sure if thats allowed but its just a thought

billmoseley
07-Feb-12, 18:58
i have a split personality is that ok as we both like to comment

Corrie 3
07-Feb-12, 19:01
Ah..........Sock Puppets !!!!
Yes, I believe we have a few of those on the .Org.
Especially the "Scientists" on here....Not that they are Scientists of course but they like us to think they are!
They comment on their own posts using their Sock Puppet partner to agree with whatever they are saying!

God bless them, I myself feel they need professional help to overcome their problem!!!

C3..............:roll::roll:;)

Bobinovich
07-Feb-12, 19:13

If you know someone who's doing this, and you're sure it's the same person (not another family member, partner, etc.) then PM Niall Fernie with the details and I'm sure he'll investigate.

Rheghead
07-Feb-12, 19:57
Especially the "Scientists" on here....Not that they are Scientists of course but they like us to think they are!
They comment on their own posts using their Sock Puppet partner to agree with whatever they are saying!

God bless them, I myself feel they need professional help to overcome their problem!!!

come on, don't beat about the bush, name and shame! :)

golach
07-Feb-12, 20:15
Ah..........Sock Puppets !!!!Yes, I believe we have a few of those on the .Org.
C3..............:roll:;)

I think its the Scottish Nasties that are causing all the Sock Puppet probs, keeps up the numbers that are supposed to be coming members of their loony party [lol]

Metalattakk
07-Feb-12, 20:18

C3..............:roll:;)

come on, don't beat about the bush, name and shame! :o)

Oops!

Phill
07-Feb-12, 21:21
I am Spartacus!

squidge
07-Feb-12, 21:28
No I'm spartacus

Corrie 3
07-Feb-12, 21:39
No I'm spartacus
Yes, and I am a bloody Scientist!!!!!....lol

C3............

bekisman
07-Feb-12, 21:46
How do you know that they are replying to their own threads but using another username? Surely using another username renders them appear to be different people? Name and shame I say. :)
Quite agree with Reggie here, I've got Mrs Beks who uses this machine, I know many others who's spouses do likewise...

Corrie 3
07-Feb-12, 21:49
Quite agree with Reggie here, I've got Mr.Beks who uses this machine, I know many others who's spouses do likewise...
So was it Mr.Beks or Mrs.Beks that posted this?
How are we supposed to know the difference?

C3...............:roll:;):lol:

secrets in symmetry
07-Feb-12, 23:54

This was brought up the other week, no point in saying anything unless your going to name and shame! That way we'll all know who they are.
Mind you it could be people in the same house etc,The previous thread was What are the rules about sock puppets on this forum? (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?166982-What-are-the-rules-about-sock-puppets-on-this-forum)

You should send a PM to Niall Fernie if you have suspicions of sock puppetry. You may not get much joy because they seem to have a rather relaxed policy on this issue - as you will see by the blatant and uninhibited sock puppet activity on that thread. Similarly, blatant untruths about sock puppet activity are posted openly on this forum by circus performers with red noses.

The puppet that I was complaining about has not posted since I referred to him in two separate posts - although he has logged on at least once since then. It could be that he stopped his tricks once he was rumbled - assuming he was sufficiently clued up to notice, which I doubt. I will report him if he resumes his dastardly activity.

essex boy
08-Feb-12, 16:06
Does it really matter if someone on here replies to themselves? Maybe no one else likes them! Are they really doing any harm?

annemarie482
08-Feb-12, 16:08
my partner uses my username too as he couldnt set up his own because of his email address.
i can assure you i have no interest in tractors etc! lol

Niall Fernie
08-Feb-12, 16:14
You should send a PM to Niall Fernie if you have suspicions of sock puppetry. You may not get much joy because they seem to have a rather relaxed policy on this issue - as you will see by the blatant and uninhibited sock puppet activity on that thread. Similarly, blatant untruths about sock puppet activity are posted openly on this forum by circus performers with red noses.

What makes you say this?

I've banned several sock puppet accounts in the last 2 weeks mostly based on my own investigations and a couple that were pointed out by reports from members.

Remember also that just because you suspect a sock puppet does not always mean that I will find evidence to support your suspicions although many that end up being watched end up giving themselves away eventually.

Corrie 3
08-Feb-12, 18:29
What makes you say this?

No Niall.....its "Who makes you say this?" ........... It's his Ventriloquist friend who has his hand up S-i-S's backside and works his head with a stick!!!

Anyone remember "Educating Archie"? I just loved his blazer!!!

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/educating_archie/

C3................:roll:;)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
08-Feb-12, 19:16
Yes when the scenario goes like this

MRS SOCK PUPPET (?not sure where this terminology comes from) " widget for sale, safe as houses - £400 ono"
MRS SOCK PUPPET's SECOND USER NAME " yes I know this widget and have use it before it really is safe as houses , you can't beat this widget , you really should buy it from my other alias"
MRS SOCK PUPPET's THIRD YES THIRD ALIAS " I'm interested in your widget can you tell me if it's safe as houses?"
MRS SOCK PUPPET - yes it's safe as houses ask MRS SOCK PUPPET's SECOND USER NAME she'll tell you before she's used it.

and it's just falsely generating interest in the item to either bump it - which i'm not sure if you're allowed to on this forum I can't remember but I certainly know on other forums I use it isn't - and it's a bit deceptive - it looks someone else is giving an "unbiased" opinion but they're not. If nothing else it's frustrating and against the rules.

billmoseley
08-Feb-12, 19:45
i want to buy this widget sounds great

Alrock
08-Feb-12, 20:05
i want to buy this widget sounds great

Just buy a can of Guinness, you get one free in the bottom.

Phill
08-Feb-12, 21:09
"This widget is most excellent" - Spartacus

secrets in symmetry
09-Feb-12, 01:08
What makes you say this?

I've banned several sock puppet accounts in the last 2 weeks mostly based on my own investigations and a couple that were pointed out by reports from members.

Remember also that just because you suspect a sock puppet does not always mean that I will find evidence to support your suspicions although many that end up being watched end up giving themselves away eventually.Niall, I've been running forums for years, and I can identify sock puppets that almost no-one else would ever suspect. Just because you can't find evidence doesn't mean they're not sock puppets! :cool:

If you really want (or need) them, I will PM you the names of the obvious sock puppet on my previous thread. That particular puppet uses one of the lamest excuses in the sock puppet's handbook, although he hasn't (to my knowledge) used it to cause any sort of trouble.

One puppet pair has caused me trouble, but I won't report them unless they do it again.

euan the driver
09-Feb-12, 06:27
Im no very clued up wi computer speak,whats a sock puppet???:roll:

Kells
09-Feb-12, 07:37
Im no very clued up wi computer speak,whats a sock puppet???:roll:

Just a person who talks to themselves but do it on line. lol

Crackeday
09-Feb-12, 18:45
What about "meatpuppets" seems to be a few of them on here! ;)
Not mentioning any names

Corrie 3
09-Feb-12, 19:04
Niall, I've been running forums for years, and I can identify sock puppets that almost no-one else would ever suspect.

Thats because you is so perfect in every way S-i-S....no one else can identify them except for you.

If you have been running Forum's for years then you must know that no one likes the following type of member..........a smart bum, know it all, I am better than anyone else, I am a scientist so that makes me so great and powerful ......this type of person is despised on all the Forum's that I use and this one is no different!!!
The bigger the head, the harder it is to get through the door and the higher the monkey climbs the more of his bum he reveals.
Carry on being the superior person you are, it gives me a laugh if nothing else!!

C3......................:roll:[disgust]

shazzap
09-Feb-12, 19:10
Just a person who talks to themselves but do it on line. lol

Know the one above.

Not mentioning any names

But.........What is that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kells
09-Feb-12, 19:17
Not mentioning any names

What's a meatpuppet? or maybe I shouldn't ask !!!

Corrie 3
09-Feb-12, 19:34
What's a meatpuppet? or maybe I shouldn't ask !!!
It's one who ask's what time the meat counter closes at Tesco...I am right aren't I Crackeday?

BTW, what time does the meat counter close at Tesco? I bet no one knows the answer to that one!!!

C3................:eek::roll:;)

billmoseley
09-Feb-12, 20:01
Just buy a can of Guinness, you get one free in the bottom.
but i don't like guinness

oldmarine
09-Feb-12, 23:20
I've had two different user names on the org, but am currently using only this one and havn't used the other for several years.

Crackeday
11-Feb-12, 14:06
Meatpuppet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_%28Internet%29#Meatpuppet), a new user invited to an internet discussion solely to influence it, similar to a sockpuppet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29)
Taken from wikapedia i.e somone who just follows another user and does what he/she is told to post!!!!

Corrie 3
11-Feb-12, 14:24
Meatpuppet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_%28Internet%29#Meatpuppet), a new user invited to an internet discussion solely to influence it, similar to a sockpuppet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29)
Taken from wikapedia i.e somone who just follows another user and does what he/she is told to post!!!!

So..............it's a sock-puppet stuffed with sausage meat instead of someone's hand!!!!

C3..............:eek::roll:;)