PDA

View Full Version : fireworks

unicorn
03-Nov-06, 20:39
I have been out for 40 mins only to come home to terrified animals and dead fireworks outside my front and back door, no it's not kids up to mischief it's adults putting them off in a garden close by and obviously not giving a hoot about anyone's safety or what direction they are going in. I hate this time of year.

Cattach
03-Nov-06, 20:42
I have been out for 40 mins only to come home to terrified animals and dead fireworks outside my front and back door, no it's not kids up to mischief it's adults putting them off in a garden close by and obviously not giving a hoot about anyone's safety or what direction they are going in. I hate this time of year.

Going mad outside my door at the moment. Nearby someone is lighting up the sky with the most fierce bangs I have ever heard. No responsibility being shown to man nor beast.

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 20:56
Probably part ignorance Unicorn but most likely dont have pets & just dont care about anybody else unfortunately

henry20
03-Nov-06, 20:57
Cattach, do you live in Thurso? My dog is cowering under the computer desk. I'm worried he'll fall apart if he shakes any more :( :(

connieb19
03-Nov-06, 21:03
It's the same here in Wick just now. Luckily my pets aren't really bothered by them though.

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:08
I guess there used to you cooking tho Connie so fireworks are quite tame compared to your kitchen at teatime :lol:

Billy Boy
03-Nov-06, 21:10
i think firework's should only be used for organised displays, where they are used in a safe controlled enviroment:)

unicorn
03-Nov-06, 21:11
I was out checking the rabbits and they are frantic even with the radio loud and the poor guinea pigs are climbing their pen. They do have pets so are just ignorant I guess. While coming in sticks were falling from the sky. Very safe NOT.

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:14
i think firework's should only be used for organised displays, where they are used in a safe controlled enviroment:)

I agree & at least you have warning of it happening, Tomorrow night will be tough going even with loud music & all the curtains closed they still manage to hear the bangs

henry20
03-Nov-06, 21:16
Reckon the boss would let me have the night off tomorrow if I phoned him to say that I needed to stay in to keep the dog company? :lol:

clash67
03-Nov-06, 21:16
My poor wee dog is absolutely vibrating, her heart is racing, I wish something could be done about this insane custom, I don't want to be a kill joy but the majority of wild and domestic animals that must be terrified right now makes the whole thing seem so insane. I think that the fireworks display should be a one night event and by license only...I reckon ( he says as he tries to comfort his wee doggie.)

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:22
Reckon the boss would let me have the night off tomorrow if I phoned him to say that I needed to stay in to keep the dog company? :lol:

Well i would there's no way i could leave this pair on there own, Sorry to hear Clash worst is it will probably go on for a few days yet, Not wanting to change subject i think ive seen you playing in the georgian a few times

kas
03-Nov-06, 21:22

I'll second that

connieb19
03-Nov-06, 21:23
I agree & at least you have warning of it happening, Tomorrow night will be tough going even with loud music & all the curtains closed they still manage to hear the bangsIs that the bangs of you trying to play the guitar? The fireworks probably sound pretty relaxing in comparison. :lol:

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:24
Is that the bangs of you trying to play the guitar? The fireworks probably sound pretty relaxing in comparison. :lol:

there used to me twangin ;)

connieb19
03-Nov-06, 21:26
there used to me twangin ;)
I bet they are. :eek:

garycs
03-Nov-06, 21:44
This argument comes up every year and all we ever get is the complaints about how animals suffer.

My family and extended family have always enjoyed fireworks and will get them out at just about any excuse, there are always dogs present, sometimes more than people, yet I have never seen any of them in distress because of the fireworks no matter how loud or frequent the bangs. I firmly believe animals become distressed by fireworks when they have been conditioned to fear them by picking up their owners fears/dislikes, the answer is training.

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:44
As i said before sorry to repeat, My youngest dogs half sister broke her neck & died this time last year after running terrified into stairs although sedated, Needless waste poor dog & her owner still hasn't recovered from the loss :(

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:48
This argument comes up every year and all we ever get is the complaints about how animals suffer.

My family and extended family have always enjoyed fireworks and will get them out at just about any excuse, there are always dogs present, sometimes more than people, yet I have never seen any of them in distress because of the fireworks no matter how loud or frequent the bangs. I firmly believe animals become distressed by fireworks when they have been conditioned to fear them by picking up their owners fears/dislikes, the answer is training.

Training what rubbish my dogs go out with my father & his shotguns but fireworks always set them off, But yeah your going to tell me its not the dogs fault its there owners

henry20
03-Nov-06, 21:49
Absolute rubbish garycs! Personally, I love fireworks, but my dog is petrified of them. If he could fit on the computer chair with me, I'm sure he'd be cowering next to me instead of underneath the desk!!

Also, my hubby is terrified of spiders, but my dog isn't! Hasn't picked up that dislike. (although I'm sure the dog laughs when he sees my hubby cowering in the corner! :lol:)

clash67
03-Nov-06, 21:50
Well i would there's no way i could leave this pair on there own, Sorry to hear Clash worst is it will probably go on for a few days yet, Not wanting to change subject i think ive seen you playing in the georgian a few times

Ahh, The Georgian, good times..good times. We will be back hopefully soon...if the fire works don't send me nuts.

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 21:56
excellent had a few unofficial acoustic sessions in there, Look forward to seeing yous

Cattach
03-Nov-06, 22:18

Unadulterated claptrap. Just an excuse to satisfied your need to disturb the peace of others and worse to frighten creatures with no understanding of the cause of their fear.

unicorn
03-Nov-06, 22:21
well my theory is if god forbid any of my animals had broken their necks in panic in their hutches then I most certainly would have taken it round to the door of the persons setting off fireworks to show them just what happens due to their fun.

hammers
03-Nov-06, 22:32

garycs is just one of the many mindless morons who doesn`t give a monkeys about anyone or anything else as long as he gets his 5 mins of excitement from something that goes bang.It`s blatantly obvious that he doesn`t have a clue about animals.

Ricco
03-Nov-06, 22:35
I know how you all feel. We have a rabbit, several neighbours have dogs and cats and one young couple have a baby ofjust a few weeks old. A new neighbour in the next road is setting off fireworks (loads of 'em) virtually every night without a care for anyone... for his 8 year old boy. Most inconsiderate pig I have had the misfortune to meet.:mad:

hammers
03-Nov-06, 22:42
It`s a pity we can`t put the powers to be in a room with the petrified animals and let them see for themselves their reaction to the fireworks.

kas
03-Nov-06, 22:43
My dog and cat are not scared of them at all.

Yet I still think they should be controlled, for many reasons.

A lot of elderly people in their homes do not like it when youths are setting them off in the streets.

Last weekend someone set one off above my sisters car as we were travelling in it, you heard the remains land on the roof. Misuse like this could easily cause an accident. Also I was just up town and someone is setting them off in their garden which is next to a petrol station, maybe I am being over cautious, but I couldnt get away quick enough.

KCI
03-Nov-06, 22:50

Sorry, but that is such a pathetic and ignorant comment. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoy these fireworks, but at this time of year, all I think about is the distress it causes animals.

You don't condition animals to fear fireworks, and you certainly can't train them to not be scared of fireworks.

So many animals are distressed at this time of year, sometimes resulting in injury or death,when there is no need for it.

I am not complaining about organised firework displays - they are safer and better organised, and at least you have advanced warning, so you can make sure your animals are safe.

What I dislike, is the constant private firework displays that seem to go on for weeks.

Unfortunately, you don't really sound like an animal lover, but as I say, I am glad you enjoy yourself. No need to think about animals being injured or killed, as long as you have a good time, eh?

pultneytooner
03-Nov-06, 22:55
In one way I tend to agree with you, after all a firework in the wrong hands is a deadly weapon and I feel it's like handing out firearms once a year and not expecting anybody to get shot.

sids
03-Nov-06, 22:55
Can we have a separate "Killjoys Forum?"

Saxo01
03-Nov-06, 22:58
was waiting for it go somewhere else

unicorn
03-Nov-06, 22:58
I don't think I am being a killjoy at all, would it hurt these people to even warn surrounding neighbours that they are turning the area into the gazza strip for the night? What if one of my family had been in the garden and been hit by one of these sticks falling at speed from the sky?

pultneytooner
03-Nov-06, 22:59
Can we have a separate "Killjoys Forum?"
Killjoys, don't make me laugh, fireworks should only be sold on the day of the celebration, not before.

KCI
03-Nov-06, 23:00
Killjoys Forum? Good idea - as long as we can have a seperate forum for the Uncaring and Ignorant.

Should be interesting.

Sorry for any offence, but I can't understand how animals suffering can be OK in anyone's eyes.

changilass
03-Nov-06, 23:30
In 1915 DORA (the defence of the realm act) banned, amongst other things, fireworks and bonfires, so there is a precedent to allow them to be banned again:D

Amazing what you can find out from watching QI:lol:

celtic 302
03-Nov-06, 23:51
I have a dog, and yes he gets frightened. But i think people should be aloud to put fireworks off if they want.

The problem with this stupid country is that someones always unhappy with something. Surely the fact that dogs and that are scared, is a reason for not keeping dogs in captivity. Were the ones who have tamed them, and locked them in houses. and we treat them with more respect than humans sometimes. There animals. meant to be wild.

ps. JUST BLOODY LIVE WITH FIREWORKS. theres only a lot of them going off for a few days a year. it wont kill anyone or anything. and if it does, shouldnt we blame ourselves for locking animals up in the first place.

sids
04-Nov-06, 00:01
Killjoys Forum? Good idea - as long as we can have a seperate forum for the Uncaring and Ignorant.

Should be interesting.

Sorry for any offence, but I can't understand how animals suffering can be OK in anyone's eyes.

Not offensive and it's the internet anyway, but some dogs heard some bangs and got a gluff: let's not lose our sense of perspective.

celtic 302
04-Nov-06, 00:04
i'm not one of those morons, partly because im not even old enough to buy fags, let alone fireworks. And about the dogs give pleasure 24/7. thats why i said for a few days a year. Fireworks are traditional this time of year, so why cant people just live with it for a few days.

ps. (god, who (for the record, doesnt excist) didnt creat dogs for out pleasure)

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 00:05
good wind up, of course dogs should be running wild it makes more sense let them go back to there natural instincts killing sheep etc, Prize numbnutt

celtic 302
04-Nov-06, 00:10
im not saying dogs should be running free, im saying we tamed these animals, so we have to live with the consequences of them being around human objects, like fireworks, that we created.

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 00:12
give up the holes to deep

sids
04-Nov-06, 00:16
Why should we have to live with that noise even for a few days in the year..........thats exactly what I mean about being responsible..........you cannot do what you want, just because you want to and it gives you pleasure for a few days, thats arrogance and ignorance! And its your perception that god doesnt exist. I believe there is a god and I believe my dog is a gift and I do not want her or any other animal or human for that matter upset by fireworks!!!

You're a bit sentimental.

Your dog may well have been a gift, unless you had to buy it.

celtic 302
04-Nov-06, 00:25
this is gonna be one of the last things i say on the topic.

as long as its legal to set off fireworks, people will, no matter how much u try to stop them. JUST LIVE WITH IT!!!

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 00:29
with a name celtic obviously ur limited sorry to rattlle ur wee cage

celtic 302
04-Nov-06, 00:32
saxo0... shut up. ps, wee cage? im 6'2", with size 15 feet, and im only 15 years old.

and pheonix... really.

lassieinfife
04-Nov-06, 00:33
what have fireworks got to with us anyway?.............they should only be sold day before 5th Nov and then only to organized displays,wish it were only for a few days but they been letting fireworks of here for last couple of weeks,and we still have to live with it at hogmanay too[evil]

willowbankbear
04-Nov-06, 00:36
Phoenix, It doesnt matter what you say on this subject , Fireworks are multi million pound business & you complaining about yer pooch isnt gong to stop it.
On a lighter note, last Saturday night I had phoned home & Mrs Bear told me that my dog was being driven mad by somebody in the near vicinity letting off fireworks, as I was driving towards my house, I clocked who they were, and as they werent my favourite people(strongly dislike is the description)I hoped that it would pour of rain. Well , within 30 seconds the Heavens opened & the little display abruptly ended for the night[lol] Man was I chuffed, &so was my doggie

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 00:36
saxo0... shut up. ps, wee cage? im 6'2", with size 15 feet, and im only 15 years old.

and pheonix... really.

sorry there is help for you dont despair

Moira
04-Nov-06, 00:41

and pheonix... really.

Size 15 feet - Wow, I'm impressed. Next you'll be telling us you can fit them both into your mouth at the same time.

willowbankbear
04-Nov-06, 00:42
Whole lot of ye are wose than bairns, grow up[disgust]

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 00:51
Whole lot of ye are wose than bairns, grow up[disgust]

oh so why butt in

willowbankbear
04-Nov-06, 00:53
Serious about what??? Its the same theme as last year,its gettin worse than the BBC on here, evrything is repeated. I wish Fireworks were only 1 night a year for ma doggies sake but I was a kid once & I remember how much I loved Fireworks, So we cant ban them.

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 00:58
Jings your struggling to find a subject to get your rep up too

Saxo01
04-Nov-06, 01:41
sorry pheonix i was just annoyed wi the usual stirrers as you know i have dogs & its sensitive

Naefearjustbeer
04-Nov-06, 02:13
As fireworks are legal and as mentioned a multimillion pounds business worldwide I dont think you have much chance of ever seeing them banned. However those of you who are dog owners maybe you should try and train your dogs from an early age to be used to bangs and screeches from fireworks. After all gun dogs and guide dogs must be able to (training?) cope with the noises. Now I do not agree with animal cruelty in any way but when we had a dog I made sure it was used to all sorts of situations from a very early age. It was ok with fireworks as is our cat. We put off fireworks every year in our garden. Now we do not have any neighbours within 0.5 miles so I do not think they bother anyone else. And the birds and other wildlife are flying and crawling around every day just like normal. I would think that the low flying jets that quite often rattle our roof tiles would be more of a concern to wildlife and pets than fireworks which only go off at this time of year. The jets blast by at all times of year.

Fran
04-Nov-06, 02:54
I think Ackergill Tower were letting fireworks off tonight so I kept my cat in and put the volume up on the tv.

henry20
04-Nov-06, 09:37
I have to admit, I absolutely love fireworks and would hate to see them being banned, BUT there are too many irresponsible people getting their hands on them. I'm not talking about the next door neighbours who set off 20 in an evening (although it would be neighbourly to warn any people in the area with pets/small children), but how often do we need to read about animals being attached to fireworks before them getting lit? This is why fireworks should only be at organised events. As with you Phoenix, my dog was a rescue dog, with no training when I got him. He may well have been targetted by fireworks in the past, I'll never know.

My only other issue with the fireworks is how loud the bangs are! On countless occassions I have seen kids covering their ears when watching fireworks because the bang is so loud! They enjoy the fireworks, but don't enjoy the noise. Even watching the fireworks myself, I reckon I'd be happier if I could turn the volume down. If the level of noise was toned down, I'm sure there would be a lot less complaints and the firework display would be just as spectacular!

brandy
04-Nov-06, 09:53
hiya guys,
hmm this post has turned into a bit of a slagging match hasnt it?
you have the pet owners screaming for revenge against their battered animals. and you have the few who disagree.. who are taking a real bashing for not agreeing that fireworks are evil and should be banned.

lets try to step away from the subject for a sec. and take a more objective view that is not colored with our personal feeling?
i know that a pet is often as loved and cherished as a child.

so this is a hard thing to do.. not to involve your feelings and get into a very angry and resentful mode.

animals are as divers and dif. as people.
some breeds are more fretfull and fearfull than others.. and many just have a very nervous disposition. and the least little things will terrify them.
others are impervious to anything.. and things like loud bangs and the like will not even phase them.
while others yet.. while normally staid and placid.. will freak at a firework when nothing else will spook it.

i grew up with animals of every sort.
and yes i have a great affinity for animals.
but no i dont share the british feeling of my pet comes before anything else in the world.
my kids have that place!

but we should not belittle others on here because they like fireworks.
and you may not.

i know it distresses a lot of animals.
in turn distressing a lot of people.
but do we really need to throw all the muck back and forth?

personally i love fireworks and love to see them in the night sky..
however it drives me crazy when i see the kids running loose.. aiming them at each other and houses ect...
i think it is just absolutly horrible that parents have that little responsibilty that they would give their children explosives to play with.

we have bought a couple of packs of fireworks this year. will prob. light them tonight.
the ones we have bought are the quiter ones.. that do not bang. as we do live in the town. and have small kids and animals.

the kids are set up in the window with me looking out into the back garden as daddy.. is in the garden setting them off...
(its just the ones that show all the lights)
that way they are not freezing and if they dont like it then is easy enough to put them down and they no longer see it..

brandy
04-Nov-06, 09:59
oh just an after thought *grins* when thinking about poor terrified animals.. missy.. my grannies little dog.. who is now about 11 years old..
you can not even spell the word BATH.. without her having palapatations!!
if you mention a bath in her hearing the little mutt will run and hide under the sofa for at least a day!!
and as she has a really bad skin condition due to her age.. and athritis.. she has to have weekly baths if not more in her meds. and treatments!!! so my poor aunt always has to coax her.. and scheme and trick her...
for revenge she will go and poo on the big rug ..every time!
little devil!!

Rheghead
04-Nov-06, 10:47
My pets are absolutely terrified of fireworks but I also see that guy fawkes night needs to be celebrated. I am happy for the celebration to take place with all the bangs etc, what I am opposed to is being under seige for a week either side of Nov 5. Guy fawkes night should be for Nov 5, period.[disgust]

unicorn
04-Nov-06, 10:50
I would just like it done safely, I don't like the feeling of watching them go off just above my garage and in my garden, I don't have them in my garden and I don't want anyone elses exploding in my garden!

hobbes1962
04-Nov-06, 11:14
I cannot believe how selfish these people can be to let of fireworks in built up areas with little or no respect for others, and the police are as bad for allowing it...........laws need to be changed!!!!!!!!!even though it may spoil the fun for others! [evil]

The Police don't make the laws. If you want the laws changed speak to the Scottish Parliament.

I for one personally think that the only way to stop this is to have an outright ban on fireworks and only have organised displays which must be licensed (not alcohol licence!) via the council.

lab
04-Nov-06, 12:58
I have two working labs, one stands pointing every time she hears a bang the other hides under the bed, my dachshounds just bark but they bark all the time anyway, my point is no matter what training the dog has they react differently, and it is something you just put up with when you were little and your dad let of fireworks did you think about the poor dogs up the street or did you think i want to see more i know i was the latter.

henry20
04-Nov-06, 12:58
Henry20 I never thought that our dog may have "been there" before, the people who had her before us had children, they were irresponsible enough to get a dog in the first place and then get rid of her as they couldnt cope with the children and her, so they may well have subjected her to a fireworks display with no thought of her at the time!

I know that my dog gets spooked by people of certain characteristics - men especially, or people wearing hats. He also hates being enclosed - he chewed my car to pieces when I left him in it on his own. The damage he has done to my house, car and my parents house and my sisters kennel is unreal. I also took him a walk down the street just after I got him and tied him up while I went to the bank - when I came back out, he was running in and out of shops looking for me, with his lead and collar still attached to where I'd tied him. He did the same to a friend. He is petrified of being abandoned and the only conclusion I can come to is that he was tied up and left before I got him. When he chewed my car to bits, it was the final straw and I asked the SSPCA to take him back, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I've had him for 4 or 5 years now and wouldn't be without him, but he still has his bad habits. :roll:

celtic 302
04-Nov-06, 12:59
ive said this before, but nobody listened then, especially phoenix. Fireworks are a multi-million/billion pound industry worldwide, and you are very very very unlikely to ever get them completely banned. Your fighting a losing battle phoenix...

changilass
04-Nov-06, 13:09
I have 2 Newfies who go mental barking when low flying planes go by or more recently the fireworks go off.

I am terrified of fireworks having seen a friend badly burnt as a child.

I do not wish to see a total ban on fireworks but would like to see them sold only to folks organising comunity bonfires.

I think you should have to go on a course and get a certificate before being allowed to purchace and set off fireworks.

I enjoy watching the displays from the confines of my house or car, if yobs were not allowed to buy fireworks it would make it much safer.

I am another one that thinks they should just be set off on the night, this is a british tradition and I would not like to see it lost. But like xmas it is starting earlier and earlier each year.

the_big_mac
04-Nov-06, 14:11
Tonight myself and a few friends are planning having a wee display in one of of our backyards. However, we would all prefer to be able to take the fireworks out of town to a beach or field, but after being threatened with a fine by the police last year there is no danger we will be doing that again.

The law now dictates that fireworks can only be set off on your own property, therefore leading to more and more backyard displays.

Maybe some folks complaints should be re-directed back to the police regarding fireworks in built up areas, as those of us that want to set off fireworks and enjoy a display do not necessarily want to have to do it at home. Street lights, neighbours, pets, many reasons.

golach
04-Nov-06, 15:07
ive said this before, but nobody listened then, especially phoenix. Fireworks are a multi-million/billion pound industry worldwide, and you are very very very unlikely to ever get them completely banned. Your fighting a losing battle phoenix...
The Imperial Tobacco industries are mega big, but Cigarettes are banned nearly everywhere now........Why not Fireworks, keep plugging Phoenix, Im right behind you

carasmam
04-Nov-06, 15:34
Now they are going off in broad daylight grrrr can anyone tell me the point of that - its not as if they can see the bonnie colours is it :roll:

MadPict
04-Nov-06, 15:45

Hmmm, you would say this - what did you post a few days ago?

I sympathise with those folk whose animals are afraid of fireworks,as a professional pyrotechnician I abhor any misuse of fireworks...

You can try and 'condition' or de-sensitize an animal but the sheer volume and 'noise pattern' of some fireworks means that even a dog which has been immune to loud noises can switch - I know as our remaining dog was totally unfazed by thunderstorms or fireworks until she was about 6 years old. She flipped overnight and we have not figured out why.

I believe the best way forward is to restrict the sale of fireworks to only registered display organisers, and allocate specific days of the week to fireworks displays so a day either side of the 5th if it should fall midweek for example.
This would allow pet owners to take the necessary steps to sedate their pets on the nights of the displays.

It might mean loss of sales to the general public but then, like the smoking ban argument, firework manufacturers might find they sell more bigger expensive fireworks to organisers.

brandy
04-Nov-06, 17:43
just to clarify.. the fireworks we have are the low noise ones that do not cause the big bangs.. and there are no rockets in them.
its more the sprays and candles..

stekar
04-Nov-06, 18:01
After many years of living in an urban sprawl, it is absolutley bliss to live in the country. Last year we did not hear one single firework or so far this year.
Hopefully, long will this last!

Whilst we do like fireworks, they should only be on bonfire night i.e. 5th November, regardless of what day it falls on. Otherwise we get a weekend of the noise.

What really bugs is the idiots who set off very loud fireworks late and night and wake you up. It is just inconsiderate and causes upset and fear for many.

Whoever started the trend for letting fireworks off on new years eve has a lot to answer for too.

henry20
04-Nov-06, 18:28
Hmmm, you would say this - what did you post a few days ago?

In all fairness MadPict, garycs wrote of his sympathy for pet owners in November 05, so he has had a whole year to change his opinons from one of sympathy for pet owners to one of disgust that pet owners haven't had the sense to train their dogs to read a calander and know to put ear muffs on for the months of October & November. :roll:

MadPict
04-Nov-06, 19:18
Even the pyrotechnic pros...

...get it wrong -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/4411776.stm

:rolleyes:

footie chick
04-Nov-06, 22:07
Thank you to the ignorant so and so that has started setting off fireworks at 21.00 tonight just got kids off to bed and they started THANKS [disgust] If I find out who they are I might pay them a visit when youngest get up in morning [evil]

garycs
04-Nov-06, 22:54
Well nice to get a response!

Yes, I am a professional pyrotechnician and I've just got back from firing a private display near Tain to read the wonderful array of insults.

I never said that I and my family use fireworks in a built up area without any thought for other people; the mindless response of those who dislike fireworks is to assume that anyone who does like them is a moron.

I always use fireworks in accordance with HSE and BPA guidelines, infact being licensed means I have to work within more stringent regulations than the private individual; nearly 70% of all enquiries for a professionally fired display that I receive are turned down due to safety and disturbance considerations.

My real criticism however is that the anti-firework lobby presents the excuse of distress caused to animals as an overwhelming reason to ban fireworks. Yet recently there have been high profile maulings by dogs and no outcry to ban them, simple fact is there are about 200 000 dog bites per year in the UK with around 30 000 of those requiring hospital treatment. There are about 1000 cases of firework injury per year requiring hospital treatment, and if the most dangerous fireworks were banned (Sparklers) this would be slashed by 75%. Fireworks give pleasure to many and upset/injure a few, the same could be said of dogs; if you argue to ban one you have to ban the other.

footie chick
04-Nov-06, 23:19
I love fireworks at an appropriate time when you aren't trying to get to sleep! Personally I think that the Thurso end of the county has had it quite good this year meaning it has only been friday/saturday night that fireworks have been going off. Is this due to the fact that high school pupil wear a school uniform?? I personally think so. well done.

I have a pet who hates fireworks but I love them when my time comes I want to be cremated and put up in the best firework available at the time. ;)

MadPict
04-Nov-06, 23:36
To equate firework abuse to dog bites is somewhat skewed - I would wager that a good majority of those dog bites are by family pets being 'hassled' by kids or being placed in a situation where their only 'defence' is to bite. You get bitten by a dog you can take the owner to court and possibly even get the dog in question destroyed. And just as with fireworks some people should not be allowed to keep animals...

You get acts of anti social behaviour involving fireworks you're lucky if you can identify the culprit let alone do anything about them. While the new laws introduced to try and cut down on firework abuse are a step in the right direction it is not a big enough step.

Fireworks stuffed through the letterboxes of elderly people. When did you last have a dog stuffed through your letterbox? Houses burnt down by fireworks? Kids injured in a display by the UK's biggest firework manufacturer? Cats having fireworks tied to them and then lit?

All very sensible use of fireworks.....

Rheghead
04-Nov-06, 23:44
if you argue to ban one you have to ban the other.

By that arguement we should everything. The thing with fireworks is that there isn't a 'noise-free zone' in a street in which a display is taking place, but my house is a bite-free zone from a viscious dog!

The Big Fish
05-Nov-06, 02:30
pheonix and big mac I love your comments which blame the Police! I havent seen them firing any but if I do something wrong I may claim to be a firework in the hope they will LET ME OFF !

Search fireworks legislation and you will find it is an offence to let them off in a public place. This means that the legislation is trying to protect us from the idiots that throw them in the street. The mindlessness of the current legislation is that it allows you to set them off from any privately owned area and this does not prevent those with postage stamp gardens from firing salvos across the town. Beaches are public places mac but if you were to approach an owner of a field which is enclosed this is a private place and would be legal to use with permission.

It is my submission that fireworks should be sold only to professionally trained and licensed people who would have to get permission from local authorities to hold properly controlled displays in areas that are properly selected and away from built up areas. This would allow everyone to enjoy fireworks safely
and prevent the mindless neds from aquiring them and making peoples lives a misery through misuse. It would also mean that animals were not put through hell.

If you wish to change things then raise this as an issue with your elected members of parliament , thats where the changes to the law usually begin not within your local nick.

Ricco
05-Nov-06, 10:06
Back in 1960, when I was a young boy in Canada, the government bowed to pressure and put a total ban on the sales of fireworks to local public. There was, of course, an outcry, but everyone soon got used to the idea. Mainstream organised fireworks are far, far better and, to be honest, cheaper for the individual.

Last night the fireworks round here went on from about 4.30pm until 2.30 am. Enough is enough.[evil]

lexie
05-Nov-06, 10:55

Absolute rubbish!..[mad] . If you have dogs that can cope with...what sounds to them like a volcano going off..then good for you...
but last night we had the TV on full tilt..Radio on in the kitchen.music and TV on upstairs and our beastie still tried to bury himself in behind the sofa!

Glad to say it did not last for long...but who knows for tonight

The K9Online Firework Safety Code For Dogs
- Prevent Fido Being Frightened By Fireworks -
http://www.k9media.net/k9online/images/fireworks.jpgEvery year Britain's sky's are alight with rockets, Catherine wheels and Roman candles as the November 5th celebrations of Guy Fawkes' failed attempt blow up the Houses of Parliament take place. Bangs, explosions and bright lights are accompanied by screams, sirens and howling dogs the country over.
Dogs do not like fireworks. Fact. Every year dogs along with many other animals experience fear and confusion, sometimes alone when their owners are away enjoying an organised bonfire. It is not unusual for dogs to run away from home after being frightened by fireworks. Another problem for dogs is the fact that fireworks seem to be going off for a few weeks leading up to November 5th as well as a few weeks after the event so there is no way of knowing exactly when your dog might be subjected to a loud bank.
Our guide should help to ensure that our pets can get through the firework season un scathed.

It is often a good idea to bring any outdoor pets inside for the duration of firework period. If this is not possible, covering kennels up with a blanket at night will give a dog a little protection from the bright flashes and loud bangs. Outside dogs are often used to thunder but fireworks can cause a very different reaction. Always remember how acute a dog's sense of hearing is. A loud bang to us can feel like volcano erupting to a dog.
It may be hard, but try and stay with your dog during the majority of the firework season. A dog can often react very differently to a bang when you are not there. If it is possible, see if you can view your dog via a hidden vantage point just to gauge his or her reaction to the bangs.
Always make sure your dog has his or her own special area where they can go to feel safe. Be it an indoor kennel or a place under the stairs, dogs love to have a den at their disposal.
It sounds obvious, but try to keep the windows and curtains closed as often as possible during firework season as this will lessen the effect of the noise and bright flashes.
Normal household noises such as the TV, hoover or music can help to distract from the loud noises coming from outside.
Last but certainly not least, always ensure your pet has some sort of identification on him or her. It is a sad fact but many dogs do run away from home during firework season even dogs that has previously shown no fear of fireworks can occasionally take flight at the loud noises and flashes in the sky. Be prepared, your dog has never heard of Guy Fawkes and he doesn't know why the bangs are happening.

golach
05-Nov-06, 11:04
Back in 1960, when I was a young boy in Canada, the government bowed to pressure and put a total ban on the sales of fireworks to local public. There was, of course, an outcry, but everyone soon got used to the idea. Mainstream organised fireworks are far, far better and, to be honest, cheaper for the individual.
Last night the fireworks round here went on from about 4.30pm until 2.30 am. Enough is enough.[evil]
Went on here until after midnight.
Now I always said the Canadians were good, ......Get rid of fireworks

the_big_mac
05-Nov-06, 12:41
pheonix and big mac I love your comments which blame the Police! I havent seen them firing any but if I do something wrong I may claim to be a firework in the hope they will LET ME OFF !

Search fireworks legislation and you will find it is an offence to let them off in a public place. This means that the legislation is trying to protect us from the idiots that throw them in the street. The mindlessness of the current legislation is that it allows you to set them off from any privately owned area and this does not prevent those with postage stamp gardens from firing salvos across the town. Beaches are public places mac but if you were to approach an owner of a field which is enclosed this is a private place and would be legal to use with permission.

It is my submission that fireworks should be sold only to professionally trained and licensed people who would have to get permission from local authorities to hold properly controlled displays in areas that are properly selected and away from built up areas. This would allow everyone to enjoy fireworks safely
and prevent the mindless neds from aquiring them and making peoples lives a misery through misuse. It would also mean that animals were not put through hell.

If you wish to change things then raise this as an issue with your elected members of parliament , thats where the changes to the law usually begin not within your local nick.

Most folk that have fields have animals, therefore the whole argument starts again.

I dont disagree with the law that bans the idiots from throwing bangers and rockets about the street, however a bit of common sence could be used towards those that wish to set of fireworks in a larger area away from houses.

The Big Fish
05-Nov-06, 13:41
Political Correctness rears its ugly head once again! :roll: The police technically are part of the system {the law} that allows fireworks to be set of in gardens in built up areas. :p

Pheonix Please do not just respond with throw away remarks which you seek to further your opinions which provide no evidence of what you are tying to say. If you actually take some time to read what I have said you will see that I am actually backing what you are trying to achieve here. In relation to the Police being part of the system then take it from me .....SO ARE YOU it's called society.

The Police don't make or shape the laws they are merely a reporting agency for the independent prosecuting system in Scotland. I know a great number of Police officers and they are also of the opinion that I expressed. The police are not technically part of the law they are the agency trained to Police the law and society within existing laws. Are you suggesting that just because you have a one sided opinion then the Police should break the law to suit you........stop bleating on and make an appointment to see your Mp....how much un opinionated fatual advice do you want? Or is it a case when you dont like what you hear that you will merely wash it away as "political correctness", quite frankly I now believe your dog probably enjoyed the fireworks as they probably provided some long over due respite from your moaning......why not start a forum entitled ME ME and more ME.

MadPict
05-Nov-06, 17:28
Beale (Animal and Wildlife) Park, Reading in Berkshire have now cancelled this years firework display, which was to be held INSIDE their animal park.

How crazy was this as an idea? A firework display in an animal park?

http://www.looking-glass.co.uk/campaigns/banthebang.htm

golach
05-Nov-06, 21:09
Fireworks going off here constantly since 5pm...Ban Them

Violetsky
05-Nov-06, 21:12
At this very minute I have fireworks raining down on the roof of my house - went out with the spotlight to identify what I thought would be irresponsible teenagers - what do I find a family outing!!!! with dad proudly lighting fireworks for his kids to see - not in his own garden, across the field but in the football field right behind my house - I am absolutely dumb founded - I never expected an adult to be so stupid - especially as pet owners themselves - there are 4 dogs in our row of houses - and I know my two are not enjoying his display one little bit - I dare say my neighbour will be experiencing the same thing. - I personally love fireworks and always take them up to Duncansby Head to let them off as far away from animals as I can get. Even when we did have teenagers letting off fireworks - they never ever came as close to the houses as this family. - Sorry rant over....... lets hope the fireworks run out soon............

Dreadnought
05-Nov-06, 21:45
Shot from my front balcony 20 minutes ago (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/Video%20Clips/?action=view&current=05-11-20068pm.flv)...

Rheghead
05-Nov-06, 22:20
Shot from my front balcony 20 minutes ago (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/Video%20Clips/?action=view&current=05-11-20068pm.flv)...

I'm in shock and awe...

Ricco
05-Nov-06, 22:32

Know what you mean - been like that every night between 5.00pm and midnight most nights. Guy Fawkes night?? What a joke! Guy Fawkes month more like!

It has become another epic retailer's dream like Christmas and Easter - start one or two months early and then continue the sale for another month after. "Its what the public want" I hear them cry. Nope - its what the retailers want - part the public from their money for as long as possible. Of course, they will absolve themselves from any environmental or neighbourhood responsiblilty - " Hey! We just sell 'em. Its not up to us how they are used."

Yep, I agree with Golach. Ban the fireworks. Approved public firework displays only - on 4th & 5th only. They forced the law on child seat boosters - far more children are injured every year through local fireworks.

Dreadnought
05-Nov-06, 23:38
From my back window ten minutes ago (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/Video%20Clips/?action=view&current=BackWindowFireworks.flv)... but these examples are nothing compared to New Year's Eve...

golach
06-Nov-06, 00:22
Why should we have to put up with this!!!!!!

Naefearjustbeer
06-Nov-06, 02:33
Why should we have to put up with this!!!!!!

I geuss that those of us that live in Caithness are lucky. I enjoy fireworks but I had absolutley no idea that that many would be going off around someones house. I take it that they are not from an organised display?

Rheghead
06-Nov-06, 09:46
ok, take this with a pinch of salt, but, I think we should only be allowed half-size fireworks in Scotland as Scotland was only to lose her King in the plot, England was gonna lose king, parliament et al...:D :roll:

golach
06-Nov-06, 10:30
Arthurs Seat, part of Edinburgh's Royal park Holyrood Park, was set on fire last night by stupid students, 8 fire engines in attendance, total call outs for the weekend 700.
Our firemen do not need this, so now is the time to ban all private fireworks completely.
There were fireworks still going off here after midnight [evil]

peedie
06-Nov-06, 18:04
Tonight myself and a few friends are planning having a wee display in one of of our backyards. However, we would all prefer to be able to take the fireworks out of town to a beach or field, but after being threatened with a fine by the police last year there is no danger we will be doing that again.

The law now dictates that fireworks can only be set off on your own property, therefore leading to more and more backyard displays.

Maybe some folks complaints should be re-directed back to the police regarding fireworks in built up areas, as those of us that want to set off fireworks and enjoy a display do not necessarily want to have to do it at home. Street lights, neighbours, pets, many reasons.

is it? we're in aberdeen and put of fire works on the beach outta the way of everyone else and there were a lot of us down there, various private displays going on along the beach out of everyones way and the police never bothered us and there were plenty on the go

also the amount of ambulances and fire engines on the go was unreal, but down on the beach there were no problems and everyone had a good time!
on a not so happy note those that couldnt make the 5 minute walk to the beach...:roll:... their were fireworks being launched from the top of the multistory, and it sounded like a war zone until the wee small hours round our flat.... also all the sirens enough to waken the dead...or drive some animals mad. not so good, but was pleased to see how many were down on the beach keeping there display from bothering anyone else!!

percy toboggan
06-Nov-06, 18:10
We had what sounded like a distant artillery barrage for the last three evenings. Thats said I'm not sure whether 'banning' them is justified, or even a good idea.
A law which will not be enforced is a dangerous law.
I hope things settle down a bit now.